Sean Hewitt resigns

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Andrew Paulson
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:09 pm

Re: Sean Hewitt resigns

Post by Andrew Paulson » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:49 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:...even Andrew Paulson was ultimately a volunteer ...
Now you tell me!

NickFaulks
Posts: 4965
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: Sean Hewitt resigns

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:09 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:
IM Jack Rudd wrote: There's no requirement for it to be a meaningful penalty.
It's still symbolic that there's a penalty. But should there be? Nicks' case appears to be that there isn't, if the arbiter or organiser should decide so.
For what it's worth, I agree with his interpretation.
If a cellphone falls out of someone's coat pocket and lands on an arbiter's foot, the arbiter may feel compelled to say "under FIDE regulations, I must ask you not to let that happen again". That's about it.

The RTRC Chairman is Geurt Gijssen, and he is very approachable. geurt.gijssen@net.hcc.nl

John McKenna
Posts: 3623
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 2:02 pm

Re: Sean Hewitt resigns

Post by John McKenna » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:47 pm

Andrew Paulson wrote:
Andrew Zigmond wrote:...even Andrew Paulson was ultimately a volunteer ...
Now you tell me!
"The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD and against his Anointed..." Psalm 2:2
Last edited by John McKenna on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To find a for(u)m that accommodates the mess, that is the task of the artist now. (Samuel Beckett)

Andrew Zigmond
Posts: 1691
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:23 pm
Location: Harrogate

Re: Sean Hewitt resigns

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:37 pm

Andrew Paulson wrote:
Andrew Zigmond wrote:...even Andrew Paulson was ultimately a volunteer ...
Now you tell me!
With the exception of the paid office staff in Battle and a few honorariums everybody involved with the ECF is a volunteer. Going off topic but on Monday I had a slightly heated exchange in the pub with a club colleague who seemed to be under the impression that the ECF was run by people who sat in an office and claimed six figure salaries!
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

PeterTurland
Posts: 541
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:03 pm
Location: Leicester
Contact:

Re: Sean Hewitt resigns

Post by PeterTurland » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:21 pm

Resists all temptation to join this arguefest, because if I do, I will get accused of thinking I'm Jesus.

Okay I confess, I have not resisted all temptations.

John McKenna
Posts: 3623
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 2:02 pm

Re: Sean Hewitt resigns

Post by John McKenna » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:56 pm

Peter, I've said that I thought that you might think you are the Lord.
And, I was thinking that Andrew must have thought he was the Anointed of Council.
What we need is inspiration... (The preacher is with us.)
Give us a sign.

Look how David Cameron has answered the question - how do you solve a problem like Maria?
He then delivered an Easter message of faith and hope.
European elections are just around the corner.
Things are looking up.
UKIP - if you like.
To find a for(u)m that accommodates the mess, that is the task of the artist now. (Samuel Beckett)

User avatar
JustinHorton
Posts: 6245
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Somewhere you're not

Re: Sean Hewitt resigns

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:17 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote: I would add that my wider point, that yet another thread got derailed by a hatchet job on a certain individual still stands.
You mean this one?

If people are going to insist on inviting this individual to chess events, it's going to attract comment. And so it should.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

PeterTurland
Posts: 541
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:03 pm
Location: Leicester
Contact:

Re: Sean Hewitt resigns

Post by PeterTurland » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:04 pm

John McKenna wrote:Peter, I've said that I thought that you might think you are the Lord.
And, I was thinking that Andrew must have thought he was the Anointed of Council.
What we need is inspiration... (The preacher is with us.)
Give us a sign.

Look how David Cameron has answered the question - how do you solve a problem like Maria?
He then delivered an Easter message of faith and hope.
European elections are just around the corner.
Things are looking up.
UKIP - if you like.
Bloody Norah, I hate it when people think I'm some sort of Lord.

Andrew Zigmond
Posts: 1691
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:23 pm
Location: Harrogate

Re: Sean Hewitt resigns

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:59 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Andrew Zigmond wrote: I would add that my wider point, that yet another thread got derailed by a hatchet job on a certain individual still stands.
You mean this one?

If people are going to insist on inviting this individual to chess events, it's going to attract comment. And so it should.
I did indeed write that the best part of three years ago. We have all done things in our life we're not proud of - my behaviour on that thread is something I'm quite deeply ashamed of. I'll also own up to quite a bit of naivety at the time - I joined the forum not knowing who a lot of the contributors were and I'd read a couple of articles in Kingpin without realising the author may or may not have had an agenda.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Post Reply