ABERYSTWYTH - ARE YOU GOING?

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
JustinHorton

Re: ABERYSTWYTH - ARE YOU GOING?

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:44 pm

"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:52 pm

Must be a copy, I'm sure I've seen those in other towns.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:58 pm

Ho ho
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:51 pm

Mr Keene doesn't say anything about going to the British in his latest column...

http://www.spectator.co.uk/life/chess/9 ... sch-craft/

Alan Tate

Post by Alan Tate » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:32 pm

I probably should have given this more thought before posting, or at least got up to date on all the drama over the last 20 odd years. 1993 was a long time ago and an apology was given so I don't know why this keeps getting brought up. I could mention more recent issues but there are always two sides to a story so why not put it all behind and start afresh.

Well I'd like to see the British in Scotland some time, to.. you know... play chess. We only have one long Fide tournament a year and maybe one weekender.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:38 pm

Chris Rice wrote:Mr Keene doesn't say anything about going to the British in his latest column...
Well if he did turn up that would be a great deal more than I have done.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:16 pm

David Pardoe wrote:Very sporting gesture from Keith Arkell to play Simultaineous against all comers this Saturday at the local Museum in Aberystwyth.
Hopefully, word will get round the North/Mid Wales area, and some of the local chess players will come along....along with interested holiday makers, and of course, a good number of Congress players.
One or two prominant notices in local Library, Museum, Post Office, etc..might help...and no doubt the ECF PR machine is doing its bit.
Hope this mornings Simultaineous session went well..and hopefully someone was on hand to take some photos. If so, it would be good to see these and maybe pass some on to the local Press in North Wales.
Hopefully, the afternoon session will also attract good numbers, despite the fine weather, which must be great for the sun worshippers...
Publicity is everything, and we need to raise awareness about all the good things going on in our chess world.
Maybe even the local chess book stall has got a pitch at the Museum for the day to sell books and chess memorabilia...?
Incidentally, I hear that there is precious little mention of the Brtitish Champs in Aberystwyth....if not, we need to get out some public notices..come on ECF publicity machine...or those there who might post some messages, in local Post Office or Library etc..extending a warm welcome to visitors. Hello world...
Meanwhile, I hope all present are enjoying the chess feast this fortnight...the good weather no doubt is an added bonus.
BRING BACK THE BCF

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:09 pm

Alan Tate >Well I'd like to see the British in Scotland some time<

Alan, you should research possible venues. Assume it will be 2016 or later. By now you know the parameters. Try Perth. The people in charge currently are Kevin Staveley and Alex Holowczak.
Tht is how Alex got involved while still a university student.

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:12 pm

POSTCARD: All along the Welsh coast they're turning out the lights on a fabulous first week of chess in Aberystwyth. Today's been another scorcher, although the early clouds (identified by one junior as cumulus) made the air a little heavier. The lovely contingent of German ladies (99% blondes) left last night so there were no towels on the loungers this morning, and more importantly no queue for the coffee machine. Rehearsals for Sister Act seem to be going well when I pass the Arts Theatre each morning. Some great songs. There was no cricket match this year, just when we have the weather for it, so the juniors organised a football match on the AstroTurf. Two girls were put in goal at one end - which I suppose is fair. We'll I've seen the sights and after two more games tomorrow I shall be making my way home via the back turnings of Wales. I can't remember another week like this. For those who couldn't make it, or decided to stay at home, it's a shame you couldn't give it a go, it's been a real treat.

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:10 pm

David Gilbert wrote:POSTCARD: All along the Welsh coast they're turning out the lights on a fabulous first week of chess in Aberystwyth. Today's been another scorcher, although the early clouds (identified by one junior as cumulus) made the air a little heavier. The lovely contingent of German ladies (99% blondes) left last night so there were no towels on the loungers this morning, and more importantly no queue for the coffee machine. Rehearsals for Sister Act seem to be going well when I pass the Arts Theatre each morning. Some great songs. There was no cricket match this year, just when we have the weather for it, so the juniors organised a football match on the AstroTurf. Two girls were put in goal at one end - which I suppose is fair. We'll I've seen the sights and after two more games tomorrow I shall be making my way home via the back turnings of Wales. I can't remember another week like this. For those who couldn't make it, or decided to stay at home, it's a shame you couldn't give it a go, it's been a real treat.
Great post; such brilliant cheer-leading.

Gordon Cadden

Post by Gordon Cadden » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:00 am

Alan Tate wrote:I probably should have given this more thought before posting, or at least got up to date on all the drama over the last 20 odd years. 1993 was a long time ago and an apology was given so I don't know why this keeps getting brought up. I could mention more recent issues but there are always two sides to a story so why not put it all behind and start afresh.

Well I'd like to see the British in Scotland some time, to.. you know... play chess. We only have one long Fide tournament a year and maybe one weekender.
I attended the BCF Championships at Dundee, 1993. You could count the number of entries from Scotland, with one hand.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:03 am

I played at that one. A weekend tournament in which I started with ..... nought out of three. Still, the pub in Broughty Ferry was pretty good.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:16 pm

Noting that Anthony Zhang is shown in the British Championship pairings as being from Crowthorne, I had rather supposed that the bug of the lost w, which usually infiltrates e2e4 pairings had been removed, despite the same software being used. Not so for the Seniors, which renders the host town as Aberystyth and what I believe to be a Scottish club as Croood. Leisham as well, but that's frequent at e2e4 events, along with Coley (none in the Seniors).

Lewis Martin

Post by Lewis Martin » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:25 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:Noting that Anthony Zhang is shown in the British Championship pairings as being from Crowthorne, I had rather supposed that the bug of the lost w, which usually infiltrates e2e4 pairings had been removed, despite the same software being used. Not so for the Seniors, which renders the host town as Aberystyth and what I believe to be a Scottish club as Croood. Leisham as well, but that's frequent at e2e4 events, along with Coley (none in the Seniors).
Was that what it was? How bizarre. I always wondered why my club always appeared as "Bron Jack", in the e2e4 tournaments.

Kay Joslin P

Post by Kay Joslin P » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:52 pm

David Pardoe wrote:
David Pardoe wrote:Very sporting gesture from Keith Arkell to play Simultaineous against all comers this Saturday at the local Museum in Aberystwyth.
Hopefully, word will get round the North/Mid Wales area, and some of the local chess players will come along....along with interested holiday makers, and of course, a good number of Congress players.
One or two prominant notices in local Library, Museum, Post Office, etc..might help...and no doubt the ECF PR machine is doing its bit.
Hope this mornings Simultaineous session went well..and hopefully someone was on hand to take some photos. If so, it would be good to see these and maybe pass some on to the local Press in North Wales.
I have photos taken at the morning simul session of Keith playing Peter Bachelor, an arbiter who's name currently escapes me, an unidentified junior and a quick blitz draw against Simon Williams. The photos are not professional, but if anyone wishes to view/use them, you are most welcome to contact me.