ABERYSTWYTH - ARE YOU GOING?

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
IM Jack Rudd

Re: ABERYSTWYTH - ARE YOU GOING?

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Wed May 14, 2014 9:40 pm

Alan Brusey would be a reasonable choice if he's willing: he and Keith don't live all that far apart, and it would be a top-half v bottom-half pairing.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed May 14, 2014 9:44 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:Greece to Moscow there was much more advance notice.
18th September 1994 with the Olympiad scheduled for November or December. So about the same length of time although possibly the rumours started earlier.

(Source The Week in Chess #2)
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... xHS6LMO8aE

The BCF had already selected its team by this stage, leading to a war of words between Nigel Short and Murray Chandler.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed May 14, 2014 9:49 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:Not changing the subject. Keith needs an opponent to play the first round of the British in advance. Any ideas?
There is precedence. Round 1 in 1987 Anand played Levitt in advance. Where was the British held? In Swansea. ...
Ah, their four game match, with game 2 counting as also the game for the British. Anand won 2.5-1.5. Assuming that was Anand's first match, there is a useful trivial pursuits (chess) question.
Stewart Reuben wrote: The fact that Vishy didn't later turn up was unfortunate.
:oops:

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed May 14, 2014 9:51 pm

Richard Bates wrote:Or alternatively the British could just be run without David Howell... :wink:
Now, now, let's have no hint here about what ordinary people are saying away from the forum ....

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Wed May 14, 2014 10:14 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:Not changing the subject. Keith needs an opponent to play the first round of the British in advance. Any ideas?
There is precedence. Round 1 in 1987 Anand played Levitt in advance. Where was the British held? In Swansea. The fact that Vishy didn't later turn up was unfortunate.
Anderton-Sasikiran in 1997 as well, I think.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu May 15, 2014 12:49 am

Ian Thompson wrote: Anderton-Sasikiran in 1997 as well, I think.
I wouldn't say it didn't happen, but Sasikiran was present in Hove on the first Sunday, because I played him in the rapid-play.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu May 15, 2014 1:36 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Ian Thompson wrote: Anderton-Sasikiran in 1997 as well, I think.
I wouldn't say it didn't happen, but Sasikiran was present in Hove on the first Sunday, because I played him in the rapid-play.
Ian is correct. It was Anderton who was unavailable for Round 1

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu May 15, 2014 2:28 am

Stewart Reuben wrote: Norway should have refused to hold the World Cup.
Perhaps they should have. It certainly looks that way now. However, when they won they knew exactly what they were expected to do, and were confident that they could do it. The time to complain was in 2010, not now.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu May 15, 2014 8:37 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Stewart Reuben wrote: Norway should have refused to hold the World Cup.
Perhaps they should have. It certainly looks that way now. However, when they won they knew exactly what they were expected to do, and were confident that they could do it. The time to complain was in 2010, not now.
This year's calendar is looking rather uncertain with the U16 Olympiad unlikely to take place and the World Youth in doubt. Fingers crossed that the World Schools in Brazil and the EU Youth (still without regulations) will be organised.

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Fri May 30, 2014 3:02 pm

Aberystwyth has hosted the British Championships on two previous occasions, in 1955, when Harry Golombek won his third title, and in 1961 when Jonathan Penrose took his fourth. So the town has a good chess pedigree. Numbers appear to be holding up reasonably well, with 239 entries to date. Have you entered yet? It’s probably going to be a hot fortnight, so leave your vests at home and pack some shorts - unless you have really hairy legs.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat May 31, 2014 11:59 am

"Aberystwyth has hosted the British Championships on two previous occasions, in 1955, when Harry Golombek won his third title, and in 1961 when Jonathan Penrose took his fourth."

This seems like a good omen for someone who has won the title 4 times already... I can't be bothered to look up who's in that category.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sat May 31, 2014 6:59 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:"Aberystwyth has hosted the British Championships on two previous occasions, in 1955, when Harry Golombek won his third title, and in 1961 when Jonathan Penrose took his fourth."

This seems like a good omen for someone who has won the title 4 times already... I can't be bothered to look up who's in that category.
Adams. And also Hodgson and Penrose, but they're inactive. I can't think of any others off the top of my head.

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:54 pm

Can’t wait. I'm counting down the days. My favourite trousers have made a visit to the cleaners and the selection process for my new socks is in full swing. Apparently it’s fashionable to wear odd-socks at the moment, but it has to be completely random, you can’t just go out and buy pairs of odd socks!

Good to see the number of entries step over the 400 mark yesterday morning, to 406 in total. Final figures are unlikely to reach the heights of Torquay last year, but they are well on track with North Shields in 2012. At this stage (26 days before the start) two years ago there were 370 entries on the books. There's still a few regulars absent from the list. Where are you? There’s a reminder today that many entry fees take a hike after Tuesday 1 July 2014, so get a move on!

See you all there, it’s going to be fabulous - fab-gear as we might have said last time the Championships were in Aberystwyth!

Lee Bullock

Post by Lee Bullock » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:36 pm

David you should get the job of British Chess Championships Cheer leader ;) I would pay to see that ;) As long as it was one of those hot outfits ;)
2013/2014 and 16/17 U140 Grand Prix Winner! ;)

2015 and 2016 Chess character of the year :)

Its not a failure to lose. Its a failure when you dont try and win.

John R Moore

Post by John R Moore » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:56 pm

I am sure everyone thinks that David does a good job drumming up the anticipation of the British, but the entry for the under 16's currently standing at 4, must be deemed as disappointing.....why is it so poor?