ABERYSTWYTH - ARE YOU GOING?

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Alan Tate

Re: ABERYSTWYTH - ARE YOU GOING?

Post by Alan Tate » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:02 pm

I see, British Isles it is then. I'm assuming by the Australian and Singaporean playing that residency is also acceptable...

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:11 pm

There was an article/interview with Daniel H. Fernandez (registered SIN) in around 2010, and I've just found a more recent one (2014) about Justin Tan (registered AUS):

http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/woodbridge_c ... _1_3318293

I believe both go to school and/or university in the UK (not sure about Fernandez, though).

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:28 pm

Dan left Manchester Grammar for Cambridge Univ I think - his brother Michael is still at MGS and is now ENG registered - both play for Marple
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:53 pm

If you also look at his grading history is that Daniel played a lot of chess in England back in the early 2000s, before he went to Singapore I guess

I reckon he got his first FIDE rating over there, hence registered with Singapore (likely to hold a British passport as well)

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:19 pm

Someone who claims to be going

https://twitter.com/Times_Chess/status/ ... 5880246272

He could meet ejhchess in person !

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:11 am

Good Lord.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:14 am

Maybe he's going to casually hand over a cheque for £589.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:24 am

Postcard. What a fabulous day in Aberystwyth! Hot Chess, hot weather. A full commentary room today. Players analysing their games over coffee, lounging in the sunshine outside the cafe area. Dolphins swishing around in the bay. Even the Greek restaurant tonight had a touch of the Mediterranean about it! Weather here, wish you were lovely!

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:28 am

Also the Ship and Castle has a fantastic jukebox to go with its fantastic beers.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:19 am

"Given that Elizabeth I of Scotland is Head of the Commonwealth, one would hope not!"

A bit of a digression, but she's Elizabeth II in Scotland as well. I read somewhere that as James VI (Scotland), who was also James I (England), was followed by James II (England), then Scotland and England became one big happy family, so the next King James will be James VIII. This may be complete rubbish, and may well be overtaken by events of course.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:51 am

I have long thought moving the British around from area to area resulted in more players from that area competing for some years after. The event has not been held in Scotland since 2003 and won't be in 2015. Ironically the event was moved to late July, rather than early August, when I discovered that the Scottish school term started about 15 August. Even when the event was held in Ayr it clashed with the Scottish school term!
In 2010 I recommended that the event be moved until after the conclusion of Tromso, seeing the problem. Nothing was done until September 2013, when the structure was agreed for 2014. Of course only David Howell of our team entered. Of couse there are fewer Scots, Irish or Welsh in Aberystwyth in the British. The World Senior dates, which also overlap, were announced later. We should be pleased that the entry has held up so well.
The Championship was deliberately dumbed-down this century to get more entry fee income. That had an effect on the Major Open. Another problem with that event is the number of young, underrated players. Now FIDE have followed Sean Hewitt's advice, about higher k factors for U18s, that problem may diminish. The demographics of British chess is that there are relatively few players in the range 2300-2400. Thus there are fewer norm seekers. This has been a trend for many years.
In 2013 we did have a sustained programme of special events advertised in advance. That presumably was partially responsible for the bumper entry.
I am writing this while still in Lithuania after the World Senior Team Championship. England had 18 players competing.
I arrive in Aber Friday and am pleased to learn the event is going so well.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:36 am

Stewart Reuben wrote:Of course only David Howell of our team entered.
Not so: Akshaya Kalaiyalahan is also playing in both the British and the Olympiad.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:15 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Michael Farthing wrote: Obviously these things do already happen but might it not be useful for the ECF to consider appointing an officer to specifically encourage such a programme?
To judge by what happened at the 2011 Congress, such private initiatives are discouraged.

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3229
Picking up on my comments (see P10.) and Jacks note....
"Sponsor a GM/IM and possibly even FM" sounds like a good idea. The relative infrequency of titled players in the draw this year could prove problematic for norm seekers.

I hope the ECF board will look seriously at possible initiatives to boost interest levels, and provide additional fund raising options, and possibly boost `earnings` for our top gun players.
When I mentioned the ideas of running coaching and other events, like perhaps some `Smultaineous` displays, given by say 4 or 6 of our top gun players, taking on perhaps 60 - 80 players...this was not pitched specifically at the congress players, nor at Juniors....although they would figure strongly.
I had in mind that maybe one option might be to attract visitors and holiday makers, who play chess, and might like to challenge our GMs/IMs/FMs..maybe played on the seafront, or in the towns market square, with loads of onlookers, possibly able to watch and contribute via donation buckets, etc..maybe also selling special event programmes, including the names of the top players at the British. If the GMs/IMs were present to sign autographs, answer questions, etc...it could be a great festival that rises funds for our top players and for UK chess.
The UK chess experts go out to meet the people...what a great advert for UK chess this could be.....offering informal chats, photo shots, analysis, discussion groups, and coaching, for fees, moderate charges, donations, etc..with the ECF getting a `cut`.
Something along these lines could help promote the game, encourage more interest and take-up, and provide some useful extra revenue for our leading players. Throw in a Bookstall and other activities, and you`ve got the making of a chess feast.. Dont forget the `donations buckets`..suitably labelled. Support UK chess.
Can schedules be arranged so that maybe a couple of these events/sessions happened on each week of the Championships (one morning and one afternoon session perhaps)....and weather permitting, some good outdoor fun.
It needs `dare I say it`, common sense, some co-operation, good will, and hopefully the benefits would flow...and any successes might encourage more of our top players to come along.
At Sheffield we had a fabulous chess festival...great turnout, and record numbers of our top players present, in part , thanks to CJ (and the other organisors), who put in great efforts to attract that interest.
There`s a balance to be struck between getting strangled by red tape and achieving good turnout and interest, and profit/success. We must use good common sense, where possible, and maximise co-operation, to ensure the party goes well.

The ECF is a `not for profit` body, but must try to serve all quarters well...not easy. Publicity and Promotion in all there forms must be leveraged to help take this `sport/recreational activity` forward for future generations on all levels.
BRING BACK THE BCF

Alistair Campbell

Post by Alistair Campbell » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:09 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
A bit of a digression
Rather than incur the moderators' ire, I've taken the liberty of responding in "Not Chess".

As you were :)

Alan Tate

Post by Alan Tate » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:14 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote: The event has not been held in Scotland since 2003 and won't be in 2015.
13+ years is too long, especially taking into account the fact that Scotland has had 2 British champions over 4 consecutive years and a 4 time women's champion (consecutive) during this period, as well as other junior successes.
Stewart Reuben wrote:I have long thought moving the British around from area to area resulted in more players from that area competing for some years after.
Looking at these results certainly gives this point some weight. Please call again soon!