The British itself!

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Post Reply
Jonathan Rogers
Posts: 3773
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:26 pm

The British itself!

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:10 pm

I am a bit surpised that by the time of round two, no such thread exists and no one seems to have commented on the first day of play. I guess we armchair viewers need time to get used to the start on Saturday.

I myself did not see any of the games. I notice that most of the upsets have involved juniors, though in at least one case the junior was the higher rated player. Akshaya's win puts her on a high board today and whilst I would expect Chris Ward to win somehow or other, it is not a guaranteed result and so it is not at all a pairing he will welcome. The fact that Akshaya beat Matthew Wadsworth yesterday will presumably not be lost on their Guildford captain - but I haven't seen the game itself. Anyone?

Some more interesting games on the top boards, though whether they will lead to upsets is another matter.

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 17870
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: The British itself!

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:33 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:I am a bit surpised that by the time of round two, no such thread exists and no one seems to have commented on the first day of play. I guess we armchair viewers need time to get used to the start on Saturday.
I followed a bit of the commentary. This was about the opening of the top board game. I wouldn't guarantee the precise order of the opening but it went 1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. Nc3 Bg7 4. Nf3 0-0 5. g3 c5 6. Bg2 cxd4 7. Nxd4 Qc7. Qc7 is a new nuance which has been played at the top level. The idea is 8. b3 d5 There follows a tactical sequence as seen in the game, but where White has to be positional accurate at the end of it.



Whilst it's not a total surprise that, one supposes, David knew this and his opponent didn't, the commentating IMs didn't know it either.

The observation I make for the amateur player is that if you follow recent developments in "normal" positions, you might be presented with ideas that even IMs know little about.

Jonathan Bryant
Posts: 3136
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: The British itself!

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:46 pm

Fernandez - Davis today shaping up to be a tasty rook endgame.

I was expecting the IM to have played g2-g4 rather than f2-f4 (to prevent ... h5). Was also thinking Black should have played ... h5 and only then tried to exchange rooks.
Roger de Coverly wrote:The observation I make for the amateur player is that if you follow recent developments in "normal" positions, you might be presented with ideas that even IMs know little about.
I hesitate to say it, but I think both sides - IM included - are misplaying this ending. It’s much easier to defend with the pawn on h5. So your comment about Amateur v IM and openings can also apply to endgames.

John Moore
Posts: 1725
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 6:33 pm

Re: The British itself!

Post by John Moore » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:57 pm

Jonathan B

Couldn't agree more about Fernandez-Davis. Was going to make the same point myself about the single rook ending where Davis played 30 ..h6 rather than ..h5 and then Fernandez didn't prevent it with 31 g4. This was all known in the 1950s and there is a famous endgame with R and 4 against R and 3 on the same side from Zurich 1953. Gligoric was White - can't remember who was Black.

John Moore
Posts: 1725
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 6:33 pm

Re: The British itself!

Post by John Moore » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:07 pm

I have no idea why Fernandez has played Kf3 and Kg4.

Jonathan Bryant
Posts: 3136
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: The British itself!

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:12 pm

John Moore wrote:Jonathan B

Couldn't agree more about Fernandez-Davis. Was going to make the same point myself about the single rook ending where Davis played 30 ..h6 rather than ..h5 and then Fernandez didn't prevent it with 31 g4. This was all known in the 1950s and there is a famous endgame with R and 4 against R and 3 on the same side from Zurich 1953. Gligoric was White - can't remember who was Black.
Euwe.


There are a couple of Capablanca games which show the value of getting in P-R4 in this kind of position.


As it happens I turned down the chance to get this kind of 4 v 3 (with no possibility of ... h5, I mean) against Keith Arkell at Penarth last year.



I’m going to guess that Fernandez will win this one eventually.

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 17870
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: The British itself!

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:52 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote: There are a couple of Capablanca games which show the value of getting in P-R4 in this kind of position.
I thought it was part of the "everybody should know these things" set of knowledge that
(a) If you can reach a Rook and pawn ending with 4v3 on the same side, then your drawing chances are reasonable
(b) part of the defence is getting your a4/h4/a5/h5 (P-R4) move in as defender.
(c) as the attacker you would like to prevent this with b5/g5/b4/g4 (P-N4) You then have an ongoing plan of playing a5/h5/a4/h4 (P-R5) move at a suitable point.

I had one of these in the National Club in April, both players thought it drawn.








But weren't there some R+P ending howlers last year at Torquay as well?

John Moore
Posts: 1725
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 6:33 pm

Re: The British itself!

Post by John Moore » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:01 pm

Don't know why I bother looking at the classics. Paul Mac always says you shouldn't look anything before 1980 - mind you he would have drawn this. Actually, I didn't pay a lot of attention but didn't Fernandez miss a chance to stay two pawns up with quite a passive position but still clearly winning.

Paul Dargan
Posts: 510
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 11:23 pm

Re: The British itself!

Post by Paul Dargan » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:27 pm

Rudd-Pert at move 28. White plays 28.Qe2 (this looks very dangerous for Black to me, but that's not really my point).

White has 2:03, Black has 0:47. I'd imagine that Jack has more time than he started with here? Nice work if you can get it.

Vasif Durabeyli beat me in Dubai a few years back with more time at the end than he started with - not a pleasant experience.


Paul

Jonathan Bryant
Posts: 3136
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: The British itself!

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:57 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
But weren't there some R+P ending howlers last year at Torquay as well?

There was one game in particular where the defender didn’t seem to know the Philidor defence and the attacker didn’t know Lucena.



Has the Fernandez - Davis game frozen for anybody else?

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 17870
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: The British itself!

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:01 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote: Has the Fernandez - Davis game frozen for anybody else?
I might guess "resigns", but they haven't input the final result. The Black clock shows zero, but that just might be the move 40 time control.

(edit) The second set of live boards appears to have frozen (/edit)
Last edited by Roger de Coverly on Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard Bates
Posts: 2842
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:27 pm

Re: The British itself!

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:02 pm

The results page says white won. And Akshaya could be on a bit of a low board for the Olympiad.

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 17870
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: The British itself!

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:07 pm

Richard Bates wrote: And Akshaya could be on a bit of a low board for the Olympiad.
Norwegian rule interpretations permitting, that can be changed up to 40 (?) hours before the first round.

Richard Bates
Posts: 2842
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:27 pm

Re: The British itself!

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:08 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Jonathan Bryant wrote: Has the Fernandez - Davis game frozen for anybody else?
I might guess "resigns", but they haven't input the final result. The Black clock shows zero, but that just might be the move 40 time control.

(edit) The second set of live boards appears to have frozen (/edit)
They stopped working hours ago.

User avatar
Carl Hibbard
Posts: 5694
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 pm
Location: Evesham

Re: The British itself!

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:13 pm

Richard Bates wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Jonathan Bryant wrote: Has the Fernandez - Davis game frozen for anybody else?
I might guess "resigns", but they haven't input the final result. The Black clock shows zero, but that just might be the move 40 time control.

(edit) The second set of live boards appears to have frozen (/edit)
They stopped working hours ago.
It's nothing to do with me this year for the first time in a while.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Post Reply