The British itself!

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Clive Blackburn

Re: The British itself!

Post by Clive Blackburn » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:34 pm

Simons - Clancy you mean?

It is not the bottom board

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:35 pm

It is the bottom board, and the result on the wallchart is a draw.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:36 pm

Simon Brown wrote:Anyone shed any light on the 11 move white win on bottom board?
Speculating: (i) Black touched his queen (or some other touch-move snafu); (ii) Mobile phone-related default; (iii) wrong result displayed (yeah, I cheated and looked at Jack's answer!). The boards below that one on the live display are the top boards of the Major Open.

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:40 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Simon Brown wrote:Anyone shed any light on the 11 move white win on bottom board?
The boards below that one on the live display are the top boards of the Major Open.
Oh sorry, didn't realise that!

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:03 pm

Got to say points to Dave Clayton our unsung hero for broadcasting so many boards.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Simon Brown

Post by Simon Brown » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:05 pm

OK. After 2 G&Ts I will go out on a limb and say Hawkins is going to lose. Third being made shortly and I reserve my right to change my mind.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:06 pm

Agonising for Williams on board 3. Yesterday he moved the wrong rook. This time he moved his knight to the wrong square (Nd6 instead of Nf6). Was the position lost already or does that count as a blunder?

EDIT: M. Fernandez-Marcus Harvey has reached RvN. I think Hawkins will hold this position.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:18 pm

Rook plus f and h against Rook on board 26.

Although I think I’ve got to it just as White’s going to lose.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:30 pm

The results page is showing wins for Emms and D. Ferrnandez though I'm positive these games showed as draws earlier on the live boards.

EDIT: Double checked. Still there. Really poor that errors like this are still happening.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:44 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:Got to say points to Dave Clayton our unsung hero for broadcasting so many boards.
For many years, it was the practice to segregate the top boards, put a few chairs out and have a demonstration board or screen behind the players to display the games to watching spectators. Possibly because the room is small by the standards of some of the halls that have hosted the British, this hasn't been done this year. There are same small name tags, but the live experience would be little different otherwise to that of a spectator at a county match.

Some weekend Congresses will segregate the top boards, something they've copied from past practice at the British and Hastings.
http://www.bournemouthchesscongress.org ... 24x768.jpg

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:31 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:The results page is showing wins for Emms and D. Ferrnandez though I'm positive these games showed as draws earlier on the live boards.

EDIT: Double checked. Still there. Really poor that errors like this are still happening.
I e-mailed the organisers some time ago so hopefully they are aware.

Simon Brown

Post by Simon Brown » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:00 pm

Simon Brown wrote:OK. After 2 G&Ts I will go out on a limb and say Hawkins is going to lose. Third being made shortly and I reserve my right to change my mind.
OK, they drew, but I thought there was still play, though you can't blame Black for taking the draw I guess

Lewis Martin

Post by Lewis Martin » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:11 pm

Simon Brown wrote:
Simon Brown wrote:OK. After 2 G&Ts I will go out on a limb and say Hawkins is going to lose. Third being made shortly and I reserve my right to change my mind.
OK, they drew, but I thought there was still play, though you can't blame Black for taking the draw I guess
At one point, Hawkins had the opportunity to win a pawn on a7. Why he didn't do this, I don't know. Anyone care to explain, was there a trap I didn't see?

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:20 pm

He could also have gone for the c7 pawn earlier as well. In both cases I think Black plays Ng5 and takes the bishop on f3 and White's extra pawn is doubled. I presume Hawkins wanted to keep the bishop pair on and underestimated Black's play?

Lewis Martin

Post by Lewis Martin » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:33 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:He could also have gone for the c7 pawn earlier as well. In both cases I think Black plays Ng5 and takes the bishop on f3 and White's extra pawn is doubled. I presume Hawkins wanted to keep the bishop pair on and underestimated Black's play?
Hmmmm.... I don't think we are talking about the same position. That c7 pawn was not taken because this opens up the c-file for Zhou, where he can re-capture on c2 where he gets a stronger rook, hence why Hawkins declined to take on c7 with the knight.

The a7 pawn capture was when Zhou had his knights on e7 and f7. Not so worried about the doubled pawns, since that light-squared bishop is not as useful. And since that knight is no longer defending the d8 square, he can move it there to follow up with doubling the rooks. I am referring to the position on move 23.

As Zhou demonstrated later on in the game, the knights were better than the bishops though it was still a tricky situation due to the pawn structure. (I think it was a mistake when he exchanged rooks on h5 to allow a passed h-pawn for Hawkins.)