The British itself!

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
benedgell

Re: The British itself!

Post by benedgell » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:22 pm

Ravi Haria is finishing 3rd=, right? Very impressive achievement.

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:25 pm

That is a brilliant achievement - well done to Ravi - when was the last time a 15 year old did so well in the Championship section at the British?
Last edited by Krishna Shiatis on Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:26 pm

Simon Brown wrote:Nobody rose to my statement about delayed resignation many pages back, so I'll try again. If I were Andrew Lewis, FM at 2300, very experienced, I would be insulted that my opponent hadn't resigned yet (move 51). Don't know his opponent, but I guess he is young. There have been many examples this year.

Well last year one guy didn’t know the Philidor Defence (not a junior, as I understand it) and his opponent didn’t know Lucena.

Resignation wouldn’t have been outrageous at move 51, of course, but I don’t think that playing a few extra moves is that harmful. It probably only took a minute or two (if even that long).

I agree, though, it’s surprising to see something like this in the championship tournament.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:28 pm

AustinElliott wrote:Only the younger Fernandez, Michael, and Yang-Fan Zhou still going now. Anyone with a grade over 190-ish advise me whether it is other than the draw that it looks like?
certainly looks like a draw to me. Still.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:29 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:Does anyone think that experienced grandmasters can also sometimes resign a tad on the late side? :D
Simon Williams, today: Gawain Jones, practically every time he loses

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:32 pm

Fact is, R & P v R is tricky. With a 'b' pawn so far back, the game can be drawn by frontal checks even with the defending king cut off by 2 files. Of course, it would have taken a more favourable king position than in the game today.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:33 pm

Obviously Jones should have resigned when he was a queen down in that play-off game against Gordon. Rather unsporting to go on to win.

Here’s Nigel Short blowing a won theoretical rook and pawn ending.

http://www.streathambrixtonchess.blogsp ... iends.html

This came from a very similar rook and two versus rook and none ending to Williams-Haria IIRC. There’s also an example in Dvoretsky of Larsen (I think) misplaying the ending.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:35 pm

Simon Brown wrote:Nobody rose to my statement about delayed resignation many pages back, so I'll try again. If I were Andrew Lewis, FM at 2300, very experienced, I would be insulted that my opponent hadn't resigned yet (move 51). Don't know his opponent, but I guess he is young. There have been many examples this year.
I should certainly have resigned yesterday long before I did. I apologised to my opponent this morning for not doing so. I just went into a kind of haze of disbelief.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Barry Sandercock

Post by Barry Sandercock » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:36 pm

Will there be a playoff or is the title shared ?

AustinElliott

Post by AustinElliott » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:37 pm

benedgell wrote:Ravi Haria is finishing 3rd=, right? Very impressive achievement.
Krishna Shiatis wrote:That is a brilliant achievement - well done to Ravi - when was the last time a 15 year old did so well?
Was it Howell?

Impressive performance by Haria, though perhaps not the toughest line-up of opponents - he did face eight players graded lower than him for a TPR of 2295. For comparison, Daniel Fernandez, finishing half a point further back on on 7, has a TPR of 2507 and played all of the top five seeds plus two other GMs.

Still, 5.5/6 from the last six games, including wins v Hackner and Williams, and a draw with Justin Tan, is serious finishing-straight stuff from Haria. Well done him.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:39 pm

The ultimate 'Non-Resigning at The British Championship' game... from 1971

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1387837

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:40 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:Obviously Jones should have resigned when he was a queen down in that play-off game against Gordon. Rather unsporting to go on to win.
sure, and there are other miracle saves too. but a number of the games he has lost seemed to lack even the possibility of a miracle.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:40 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
I should certainly have resigned yesterday long before I did. I apologised to my opponent this morning for not doing so. I just went into a kind of haze of disbelief.
Totally understandable, quite often players who were winning, just need time to accept the reality that they are going to lose the game and simply play on through inertia.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:44 pm

AustinElliott wrote:
benedgell wrote:Ravi Haria is finishing 3rd=, right? Very impressive achievement.
Krishna Shiatis wrote:That is a brilliant achievement - well done to Ravi - when was the last time a 15 year old did so well?
Was it Howell?

Impressive performance by Haria, though perhaps not the toughest line-up of opponents - he did face eight players graded lower than him for a TPR of 2295. For comparison, Daniel Fernandez, finishing half a point further back on on 7, has a TPR of 2507 and played all of the top five seeds plus two other GMs.

Still, 5.5/6 from the last six games, including wins v Hackner and Williams, and a draw with Justin Tan, is serious finishing-straight stuff from Haria. Well done him.
Ravi played a very nice game v Hackner, as i said at the time, but this shouldn't really be the mark of a player finishing 3=. I am afraid this is another example of just how unhealthy it can be to have so many players below 2150/2200 (say). If Austin is right above then it's damning, isn't it - a 2295 performance for 3= (surely that can't be right though? Even 2395 would also be damning).

AustinElliott

Post by AustinElliott » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:47 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:The ultimate 'Non-Resigning at The British Championship' game... from 1971

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1387837
Wonder if someone was egging the loser on....? And did it get the winner in a flap?