Gerry Walsh Will Not Seek Re-Election as ECF President

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Ben Purton

Re: Gerry Walsh Will Not Seek Re-Election as ECF President

Post by Ben Purton » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:20 am

If you make the President role , purely a figurehead, then does it not make some sense to merge the position with that of press secutary, otherwise its almost a pointless role. I do think a figurehead has to be someone who can go in to schools as the future of chess is there. Hence you might as well make Mike Basman the figurehead as he has the best contacts probaly in respects to getting chess in to schools via his tournament.

If you make the Presidents role something like publicising the game to a wider audience then you need someone with experience in marketing and or running a business. However if the president is of a more matured age or runs with stereotypes which chess has been given. Then we will struggle to expand in anyway.

There are simplistic ways which the President could be more useful than previously, however each candidate would probaly have there own views on that..

Ben
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:45 pm

If Jack were to become President, would that mean an end to four/five hour meetings?

Justin Hadi

Post by Justin Hadi » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:24 pm

Good luck.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:51 am

Ben Purton wrote: Hence you might as well make Mike Basman the figurehead as he has the best contacts probaly in respects to getting chess in to schools via his tournament.
The phrase "conflict of interest" comes to mind.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Peter Sowray

Post by Peter Sowray » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:57 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Ben Purton wrote: Hence you might as well make Mike Basman the figurehead as he has the best contacts probaly in respects to getting chess in to schools via his tournament.
The phrase "conflict of interest" comes to mind.

Why?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:14 am

Because somebody in that situation would be in danger of using their ECF position to promote their private interests?
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Peter Sowray

Post by Peter Sowray » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:38 am

JustinHorton wrote:Because somebody in that situation would be in danger of using their ECF position to promote their private interests?
Theoretically.

In practice the ECF would have far more to gain from such an arrangement than Mike Basman.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:30 am

Is there not a strong corrolation between Basmans interest(more chess players in schools) and the interests of the ECF in general. Providing it would not use any finance from the ECF, using the name of the ECF to push for more players in schools is something I think most would allow for growth in the game.

The best candidates are the ones we wont get . We often get someone in then we beat them with a stick. Maybe its time to try and get a better candidate with a carrot.

Ben
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:33 am

Peter Sowray wrote:
JustinHorton wrote:Because somebody in that situation would be in danger of using their ECF position to promote their private interests?
Theoretically.

In practice the ECF would have far more to gain from such an arrangement than Mike Basman.
Quite likely, but conflicts of interest are important - they're not something that we should simply overlook when they exist.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Claire Summerscale

Post by Claire Summerscale » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:55 pm

Thank you Martin (and also James P for your previous comment). I enjoyed working with the people who wanted the best for English chess and who worked hard to achieve change within the ecf - Martin, Peter and Mike.

But no, I would absolutely not want to return. I've done my time! Tried my hardest and left in despair.

I think Matthew Turner's idea for the ecf future is interesting (from the council meeting thread).

Claire

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:30 pm

Considering the Rocket from Romford has just been knocked out the snooker, worth giving him a ring. I think I've only read one chess book cover to cover and thats Dave Norwoods Steve Davis plays chess. That is such a good book. We should just have all chess books as randomers going to U150 events and saying "then I did me pieces against some Unrated Croatian with a false eye"

Ben

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:35 pm

This is of course exactly what we did in the past, and while I am told that Davis attend the odd junior event and so forth, he did not make the desired impact publicity-wise. Of course it did not help that he was still playing snooker, but even so he seems to be better known for other hobbies outside of snooker, and I only heard him mention his connection with chess once on TV, on a game show where he mentioned it as a curiosity.

I know that the ECF President is supposed to be a "figurehead" (i.e, the CEO does the real work) but what does that mean? Someone famous whom "the kids", or the media, will talk about; or someone with clout, either in chess circles or with useful contacts in government or the business world? The word "figurehead" by itself seems rather empty to me.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:34 pm

Personally, I would go for Charles Clarke.

Plays chess, father invented the grading system so has a BCF/ECF connection and, as a former minister and current MP, is well known in the media and would be able to get us some much needed clout at Westminster.

That is, if he were interested and as long as CfS hasn't buggered that up. Which, from what was said at council, it shouldn't have done.
Last edited by Sean Hewitt on Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:19 am

I would stand, but like a senisble guy I know I wouldnt get one vote, which isnt a defeatist attitude. Its Realism that Wood Wilson would admire.

Ben

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:14 am

Sean Hewitt wrote:Personally, I would go for Charles Clarke.

Plays chess, father invented the grading system so has a BCF/ECF connection and, as a former minister and current MP, is well known in the media and would be able to get us some much needed clout at Westminster.

That is, if he were interested and as long as CfS has buggered that up. Which, from what was said at council, it shouldn't have done.
I agree with that logic, and it would emphasise that the President is a figurehead

We can then hopefully get good people in the other positions, and maybe Jack Rudd chairing the meetings would be good
Any postings on here represent my personal views