BRITISH CHAMPIONSHIP 2016 & 2017

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
PaulTalbot

Re: BRITISH CHAMPIONSHIP 2016 & 2017

Post by PaulTalbot » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:36 pm

There's a tourist board in Hull? Wow! There's optimism for you :D

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:14 pm

Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

PaulTalbot

Post by PaulTalbot » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:47 pm

I've got a better idea, lets have it in Wigan

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Eu ... Wigan.html

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:46 am

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
PaulTalbot wrote:<<<<<Hull 2017 does indeed make sense.>>>>

Oh great! Happy holidays in Hull :( Imagine telling your friends that your going to Hull for your holidays. If it goes to Hull I'll be giving it a miss for a start.

Surely a major consideration should be that the venue is based in a holiday destination for the sake of family members who go along to support players. Bournemouth, Torquay, both brilliant, Hull No! No! No!
Hull is the UK Capital of Culture for 2017. It also has a fine chess tradition as Hull Chess Club were the winners of the Yorkshire League first division every year from 1987-2000 inclusive, a record that will take some serious beating. Just because a city has a reputation for being a bit drab doesn't mean it is obliged to stay that way - it seems as if Hull City Council are trying to regenerate the city for the 21st century. I'd have a look at what the city might have to offer in 2017 before making such judgements.
Whenever I think of Hull I think of Philip Larkin. In one of the Whitsun Weddings poems there's a reference to grim head-scarfed women somewhere. So things have moved on have they?

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:49 am

PaulTalbot wrote:I've got a better idea, lets have it in Wigan

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Eu ... Wigan.html
the Scilly Isles are sub-tropical and there's a boat from Penzance. Lots of sunshine down there, wouldn't that be better than Wigan? Ok, so you have got Wallace and Grommet... .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:53 pm

MJMcCready wrote: Whenever I think of Hull I think of Philip Larkin
Whenever I think of Hull I think of Alan Fettis, a goalkeeper named in an emergency as an outfield sub, coming on and scoring. And I was there.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:48 pm

Ah, to Hull and back! :)

To be fair the place has been spruced up a lot in the last 10 years or so, and I always enjoy staying over for the weekend during the annual congress (can't make it this year :cry:) If the British went there, I would certainly be going - good guest houses can be had for next to nothing, I'd bet you could do the whole 2 weeks for less than £200, plus there are plenty of student pubs in the area, places to eat etc.

On the other hand, I do see the point of view that for players who intend to take their family’s and make a holiday of it, it'd be a none-starter. I think there are one or two museums, but aside from that, nothing to keep none players entertained for very long, plus nowhere much to go within the immediate area.

I can certainly think of better places for the British to be held in Yorkshire - Scarborough springs to mind :)
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:10 pm

Didn't Scarborough's best pub get closed down some years back?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:22 pm

I tend to just stick to Weatherspoon’s in Scarborough and if the mood strikes there are a couple of karaoke bars for later in the evening. You have to be a bit careful with pubs around there - the ones on the front with all the Celtic supporters are best avoided.
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Ronnie Burton

Post by Ronnie Burton » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:08 pm

As you can see below Dorset County Association have to pay towards hire of of venue for British Championship. Is this normal for the host ?
-----------------------------------------------------
As I had expected the Dorset County Chess Association are looking for contributions towards the venue costs for staging the British Chess Championships at the end of July/beginning of August next year. If you can help in any way then please send a cheque payable to DCCA to either Ian Clark (19 Cucklington Gardens, Muscliffe, Bournemouth or to the DCCA treasurer Steve Peirson (37, Sandford Road, Wareham, Dorset, BH20 4DQ

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:34 pm

I intend to hire a cruise ship and have it go round Great Britain, possibly making a detour to Ireland, the Isle of Man, Guernsey and Jersey. Play will of course take place onboard the ship.
Oddly, there seem some who are less than enthusiastic about this project.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:40 pm

Landlubbers I suppose - what's the tonnage of the vessel, cut of her jib and nationality of the captain, please?

Mark Ashley

Post by Mark Ashley » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:46 am

I love the idea of having it on a cruise ship.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:05 pm

A pirate ship for me sailed by Cap'n Jack (Rudd)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:39 am

"I intend to hire a cruise ship and have it go round Great Britain, possibly making a detour to Ireland, the Isle of Man, Guernsey and Jersey. Play will of course take place onboard the ship. "

That is interesting. I used to attend ISO meetings on Plastics Terminology (lasting one week overall) and there was a different venue every year (USA, Canada, Netherlands, Germany, France, India, Japan etc) but one year they were struggling to find a host country, so one of the Canadians said he had spoken to a cruise company and they could hold the meeting on a cruise ship. The company would fly participants to Vancouver, then the ship would head off to Hawaii and you held the meetings on board the ship, then flew home from Hawaii. I think the cost worked out at $1000 (it was a few years ago, but cheap even then). The offer was rejected as some people said their meetings terminated after 2 days and they would be stuck on a ship, when they should be back at work, and others said their bosses would never sign the expense claim for a voyage on a cruise ship. (Quebec Hilton yes, cruise ship no...) But it did seem a really imaginative idea.

And so does Stewart's idea...