ECF website – service update

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Carl Hibbard

ECF website – service update

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat May 16, 2015 9:54 am

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/ecf-webs ... ce-update/

Does not mention the other place but some good news to report for a change :D
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

MartinCarpenter

Re: ECF website – service update

Post by MartinCarpenter » Sat May 16, 2015 10:20 am

It definitely is good news :)

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Sat May 16, 2015 10:52 am

The announcement shows good intent but it does rely on having sufficient manpower to maintain the existing site and develop an entirely new one in parallel.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat May 16, 2015 7:13 pm

"We have decided to migrate our main websites to a dedicated server solution."

Is that Phil Ehr, do you think, or is there anybody else who writes English like that?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun May 17, 2015 9:47 am

"Is that Phil Ehr, do you think, or is there anybody else who writes English like that?"

Sadly, such gibberish is all too common. For example, "transition" as a verb, people saying "going forwards, we are going to..." Why say "going forwards"?

I assume they think they look clever, but the reality is that they are obscuring the meaning of what they are saying.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun May 17, 2015 1:20 pm

JustinHorton wrote:"We have decided to migrate our main websites to a dedicated server solution."

Is that Phil Ehr, do you think, or is there anybody else who writes English like that?
Standard IT speak, I should think.
"migrate our main websites" means "copy the files"
"dedicated server solution" means "to another computer"

So they are moving the websites somewhere else in the hope that the whole package, ECF main site, grading and forum will work a bit better, particularly when the new grading lists come out.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Sun May 17, 2015 2:37 pm

JustinHorton wrote:"We have decided to migrate our main websites to a dedicated server solution."

There's nothing egregously wrong here. It's a bit clumsy and jargony, but the meaning is abundantly clear. I even like the use of 'migrate' in place of the prosaic 'move'. Sometimes language use benefits from different metaphors. My stylistic preference - and that's all it is - would be:

Our solution is to migrate our main websites to a dedicated server. Anyone happier or better-informed now?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun May 17, 2015 3:23 pm

The English language and I are both grateful to you.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Sun May 17, 2015 6:09 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:Standard IT speak, I should think.
"migrate our main websites" means "copy the files"
With the benefit of 35 years experience as software engineer I can tell you it means a helluva lot more than that.
The implication is that the different websites are on different machines with almost certainly different implementations. Some files will just be able to be copied but others will need to be rewritten and new files/programs developed to knit the whole lot together.
Roger de Coverly wrote:"dedicated server solution" means "to another computer"
Again there is a lot more to it than that. "Dedicated" implies that the server will only be used for the websites and will not have other, perhaps related, software running. "Server" does not equate to one computer. If it is a robust solution then it will consist of a cluster of computers which will work together as one fault tolerant computer so that if one computer or hard drive crashes then automatic failover will occur and users will notice no more than a temporary glitch. [/quote]
Roger de Coverly wrote:So they are moving the websites somewhere else in the hope that the whole package, ECF main site, grading and forum will work a bit better, particularly when the new grading lists come out.
On second thoughts, given the likely level of budget and expertise perhaps you are right.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun May 17, 2015 6:21 pm

They will have purchased a dedicated server from a service provider so the work will be done by that company so I do not see it as an issue.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Sun May 17, 2015 6:25 pm

ECF website wrote:The proposed solution has been approved by the Finance Committee and is within budget.
So, problem solved!

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Sun May 17, 2015 9:50 pm

So what was the cause of the problem and how do we know that it's addressed by the chosen solution?

We don't know either of these things, do we? For all we know, those making the decision are taking a punt that a hardware upgrade will provide a fix.

One thing I'm curious about is that a couple of years ago, the grading website used to be able to take whatever was thrown at it. It didn't fall over (so far as I recall) when a new grading list was published. Now the grading website or the forum website appear to fall over when encountering a slight volume of traffic. So what's changed? Or is it my perception that's incorrect?

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Sun May 17, 2015 10:28 pm

Quite right, Angus.

We don't have any details and have to rely on blind trust.

Strictly, this should have been discussed at the last Council meeting, where Communications was the last item on the Agenda and got dropped owing to lack of time. These plans must have been known about or under consideration at that time.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sun May 17, 2015 10:44 pm

Strictly, this should have been discussed at the last Council meeting
Why? This is an entirely operational issue. Why should Council need to be involved?
For all we know, those making the decision are taking a punt that a hardware upgrade will provide a fix
And for all we know, maybe those taking the decision aren't taking a punt. Why don't you actually contact those making the decision and ask them?

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun May 17, 2015 10:55 pm

I am in agreement this time with the powers that be.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard