Director of Finance

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Carl Hibbard

Re: Director of Finance

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:59 pm

People, please pass additional comments (if ever!) you feel I am being over harsh to Ben or anyone else

I do normally hover in the background and try not to moderate

:roll:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:59 pm

"No further questions"
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:01 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:People, please pass additional comments (if ever!) you feel I am being over harsh to Ben or anyone else
I saw the posts he made before you deleted them, and they were anything but on-topic.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:04 pm

No wonder chess gets the stereotypes , thats all im going to say, you need to liven up the game , but you guys just disagree
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:06 pm

Fine, lets close that one off then - this "topic" was the Director of Finance position wasn't it?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:08 pm

Who is director of finance, Whit-ey quit didnt he?

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:17 pm

To help Carl return to the topic of Finance Director.
Let's say I know someone who might be interested in being an ECF Director. I can see how I could sell the Junior Directorship - you're moulding the future, giving youngsters a life skill etc. etc. I could also see how I could sell the International Directorship - picking an England team, working with Mickey and Nigel. Providing opportunities for Stephen, David and Gawain to be the next Mickey and Nigel. What do I say about the Finance Directorship - hmm?
Perhaps, we have to think differently, maybe the Finance Directorship could be paid and Cynthia appointed (or voted in). In some ways this simply formalises the current situation, but I think it would have advantages - 1. We wouldn't look stupid, 2. It would be clearer what Cynthia's role was.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:19 pm

director of marketing is responsible for the image of chess etc.

Finance director is basically a vital but ugly role

Matt Harrison

Post by Matt Harrison » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:34 pm

I'd start by renaming the post to Honorary Treasurer. The role is presumably an oversight role (assuming that Cynthia Gurney does the day-to-day financial management)

Then I'd advertise it via the big accountancy firms. Surely one or more of them have chess clubs?

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:05 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:Perhaps, we have to think differently, maybe the Finance Directorship could be paid and Cynthia appointed (or voted in). In some ways this simply formalises the current situation, but I think it would have advantages - 1. We wouldn't look stupid, 2. It would be clearer what Cynthia's role was.
Yes the role of Cynthia isn't clear is it...

I do agree that the Finance role should be a paid one, it's too important not to be...
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:09 pm

Ben Purton wrote:Director of marketing is responsible for the image of chess etc.
Marketing is important and to be honest I have seen nothing from the current Director at all?

Has there been any?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Simon Brown

Post by Simon Brown » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:48 pm

Matthew (Thursday) is right. No finance professional would be remotely interested in being the ECF Finance Director.

The role of a Finance Director (trust me, I am one) amongst many other things, is to help the company/organisation make decisions about income and expenditure so that the company/organisation can achieve its goals in a financially secure way.

In the ECF, the vast majority of expenditure is fixed - the office - so the FD can't help much there. Income (or at least in my day) came from the grant - can't do much about that - and Game Fee. Now, the FD can help with that and I guess does provide a recommendation to Council, which has the ability to ignore the advice of a professional with financial acumen and decide how much Game Fee will be on a whim, or depending on who shouts loudest. Setting budgets is not a democratic process - that's why people get paid a big salary to do it, and do it well.

As for achieving the ECF's goals, I'm afraid I don't know what they are at the moment, beyond trying to keep things exactly as they are.

Apart from the kudos (?) of being a company director (and ignoring all the responsibilities of a director - read the Companies' Act 2008 for the new extended responsibilities) what is the attraction? Beats me.

Simon

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:55 pm

Martin Regan wrote:Dear all

It is quite simple. Robert Richmond is the best DoF the ECF has ever had.

I know this. His contribution behind the scenes (outside finance) is immense.

He has become disillusioned. Someone (the CEO, the board?) should illusion him. In my view, having been CEO, it is a scandel that he has been allowed to depart. In passing, every idea for the Chess in Schools material etc stemmed mainly from Robert. And he's a good FD.
Martin,
Could you be more specific about the causes of the disillusionment? Are there contributory factors that might go away in October?

i.e. can these issues be addressed and, if so , how?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

John Upham

Director of Finance

Post by John Upham » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:39 pm

Does anyone anywhere in forum land know of anyone who might possibly consider this challenging role? :lol:

Perhaps I should ask Justin Horton to approach Ray Keene, OBE? :wink:

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:26 am

In light of the continuing reluctance of anyone wanting to take on this role, I would speculate on what view the Government grant providers have on an organisation that cannot find a Director of Finance?

If you were the grant provider what would be your view?