ECF Elections 2015

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Sean Hewitt

Re: ECF Elections 2015

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:45 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:One hopes that a nomination will come forward for the now vacant NED post so that the Board cannot use the excuse of an empty position to find a sinecure for any unsuccessful candidate in the elections that it wishes to favour!
Chris Fegan would be my bet.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:51 pm

Indeed.

Attempted stitch-up by the Gang of Four as far as I'm concerned.

Let's hope the robber barons stick together and do the right thing. :shock:

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:49 pm

Mike Truran wrote: Attempted stitch-up by the Gang of Four as far as I'm concerned.
For those of us who don't have votes and are watching from a safe distance, are you prepared to out "the Gang of Four"?

At a guess, the CEO, the Commercial Director, the Strategic advisor and one of the non-Execs. But if their objective is to remove the Luddite attitudes currently running the British Championship Congress, perhaps it is a worthy objective. Against that, it's not so obvious that alternative expertise exists.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:13 am

I've sent in my application for NED, subject to getting sufficient nominations. If anyone here has votes on Council and would like to nominate me by 13:30, it would be most welcome. :D

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:20 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mike Truran wrote: Attempted stitch-up by the Gang of Four as far as I'm concerned.
For those of us who don't have votes and are watching from a safe distance, are you prepared to out "the Gang of Four"?

At a guess, the CEO, the Commercial Director, the Strategic advisor and one of the non-Execs. But if their objective is to remove the Luddite attitudes currently running the British Championship Congress, perhaps it is a worthy objective. Against that, it's not so obvious that alternative expertise exists.
Leaving aside the `luddite attitudes` (which we'll have to beg to differ on), if the current team were removed there would be nobody to oversee the British and therefore no event at all.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:35 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:For those of us who don't have votes and are watching from a safe distance, are you prepared to out "the Gang of Four"?

At a guess, the CEO, the Commercial Director, the Strategic advisor and one of the non-Execs.
As expected utter silence from the suspects over there with probably no further comment until election day.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:07 am

IM Jack Rudd wrote:I've sent in my application for NED, subject to getting sufficient nominations. If anyone here has votes on Council and would like to nominate me by 13:30, it would be most welcome. :D
Jack, you have my nomination from Hertfordshire.

It is not sufficient on its own. You will need to enlist the support of a second county or a Trustee or a Direct Members Representative.

The present incumbent might like to nominate you rather than see the post go vacant. He may, of course, already have made a nomination.

Michael Flatt

raycollett

Post by raycollett » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:33 am

I can report that after consultations with club secretaries Worcestershire CA have asked its ECF delegate to nominate Alex as Director for Home Chess. Ray (Hon Secy WCA)

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:33 am

So 13:30 today all nominations must be in?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:56 am

Carl Hibbard wrote:So 13:30 today all nominations must be in?
So to return to my usual "no-one wants the jobs anyway post" - of the eleven electable posts, we will find at least eight of the directors/officers re-elected without a contest and possibly three elections consisting of internecine strife rather than anyone new standing for re-election.

Not so long along ago "None of the above" was successful in an election; Council will have the choice of "None of the above" or the present incumbent. Of course I may be wrong! :)

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:10 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:So 13:30 today all nominations must be in?
Correct.
Neil Graham wrote:So to return to my usual "no-one wants the jobs anyway post" - of the eleven electable posts, we will find at least eight of the directors/officers re-elected without a contest and possibly three elections consisting of internecine strife rather than anyone new standing for re-election.

Not so long along ago "None of the above" was successful in an election; Council will have the choice of "None of the above" or the present incumbent. Of course I may be wrong! :)
Yes, you might be.

The last 24 hours have somewhat reminded me of football transfer day.

Of course, the analogy is also valid in that several things mooted may not actually happen.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:11 pm

Neil Graham wrote:Not so long ago "None of the above" was successful in an election
Which one?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:15 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Neil Graham wrote:Not so long ago "None of the above" was successful in an election
Which one?
Adam Raoof lost to "None of the Above " in 2012, for the then post of Director of Membership and Marketing.

Personally, I think that the outcome was extremely beneficial to him.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:17 pm

Ah yes, I remember now. Are there any other examples?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:26 pm

I am not at all sure that uncontested elections are necessarily a bad thing. Why should the posts of International Director or Finance Director require an annual contest?