ECF Elections 2015

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Roger de Coverly

Re: ECF Elections 2015

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:32 am

Michael Flatt wrote: The incumbent should expect to be able to stand for reelection unopposed by another Board members.
FIDE delegate isn't a Board position, although it's elected and the holder has the right to attend Board meetings. The International Director is being challenged by the FIDE delegate. Unlike NED/Home Director it's allowed to be both the FIDE delegate and separately a Director.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:41 am

Paul,
As all candidates are standing as individuals, it is rather different to an election for Parliament where candidates align themselves with a political party.

As far as I known none of them are standing on a common ticket. It was was last year, that Phil Ehr lauded some candidates and disparaged others in his election address. That is not permitted this year.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:43 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:FIDE delegate isn't a Board position, although it's elected and the holder has the right to attend Board meetings. The International Director is being challenged by the FIDE delegate. Unlike NED/Home Director it's allowed to be both the FIDE delegate and separately a Director.
That's absolutely correct.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:50 am

Michael Flatt wrote: As far as I known none of them are standing on a common ticket.
There's the dump Alex H ticket, which seems to have been answered by the unprecedented number of nominations by the local bodies who are, after all, the voting membership.

Rather than exploit the complaints procedure, would the better approach have been to oppose the re-election of the Home Director because he told the Commercial director to **** *** and screwed up the on-line coverage of the Warwick British?

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:01 am

Thank you, Roger. You get the idea.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:17 am

Roger de Coverly wrote: Rather than exploit the complaints procedure, would the better approach have been to oppose the re-election of the Home Director because he told the Commercial director to **** *** and screwed up the on-line coverage of the Warwick British?
The original complaint raised by the Commercial Director is still ongoing. It is only now that it is being put to the full Board. That should have been done in the first instance.

With regard to the British Championships there was a large team involved including the Commercial Director. It is too late to fix things AFTER the event. The best that can be done is to be better prepared for next year at Bournemouth. You have to do what you can within the constraints of funding and skills of individual volunteers.

All those voting will have their own reasons for choosing one candidate over another.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:13 am

J Foley's election address of last year

"I negotiated the arrangement with ASDA whereby Kingston has a well-lit and spacious playing room in a superstore as part of ASDA’s splendid community outreach initiative."

Really? Some matches are played in the café near the main entrance, which is extremely noisy. Others are played in a slightly cramped room which is impossible to find if you haven't been there before, and ASDA staff didn't know where it was when I visited.

ASDA's "splendid community outreach initiative" doesn't seem to extend to signs for car parks!

Several players in the Surrey League are very unhappy about playing there.

I'm not having a go at Kingston - the vast majority of their members are really nice! (Redhill had a dispute with Kingston a couple of years ago, where two Kingston players behaved disgracefully, but we're not holding it against the club or its members.)

Anyway, vote Alex!

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:15 am

You really want to vote for Chris Fegan after reading his posts don't you :roll:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:53 am

The latest revelation is that Alex attempted to resign earlier this year in March. Apparently some of his fellow directors talked him out of it.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:10 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Several players in the Surrey League are very unhappy about playing there.

Anyway, vote Alex!
I like the Kingston venue, although I admit that I have not had to play in the cafe. I wish all of our venues were only "slightly cramped". Totally off topic, of course.

Vote Alex, obviously. He impressed many people in Abu Dhabi with his understanding of the topics under discussion and, equally important, his willingness to put a point of view. I find it frightening that the ECF can even contemplate getting rid of someone with such energy and enthusiasm.

I am surprised that David Openshaw is under threat. It seems to me that he has made a fair start, and some disappointing results early on should not be laid at his door. He is serious about getting England back up the world standings and should be given a four year cycle before being judged. He did not start from a good place - no criticism here of Lawrence, who also didn't have any easy go of it.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:31 pm

I can see posts being moderated over there.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:32 pm

Oh, I was going to catch up at the end of the day. Is there some fun being missed?

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:34 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Oh, I was going to catch up at the end of the day. Is there some fun being missed?
A small child came out to play.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:50 pm

Approval-at-large can be a rather dodgy method in multi-winner elections, but as there seem to be no particular power blocs being represented by multiple candidates in the NED election, it would probably work OK there.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:55 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Oh, I was going to catch up at the end of the day. Is there some fun being missed?
Revelations about discord within the Board.

Chris Fegan showing why letting prospective directors loose on forums might be a bad idea no matter what forum.

To my mind, that was why the ECF wanted to own a forum and set it up with archiving disallowed, that embarrassing internal fights could be deleted and apart from the memories of those who read it, no-one would be the wiser.