ECF Elections 2015

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
J T Melsom

Re: ECF Elections 2015

Post by J T Melsom » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:42 pm

I'm sure non-executives are allowed to have views, it is more a question of whether they should be partisan in their advocacy. Of course an eleventh hour decision by an existing NED to run for another post rather than stand for re-election would leave a vacancy. Would that then be filled by co-option of a suitably independent person to the NED post or another place-man?

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:58 pm

Should vacant posts exist following the election process the Board may, of course, may make their own appointments.

I understand that both NEDs have indicated that they will seek reelection in their existing role (according to the ECF website).

The Articles do not permit Directors to hold two posts. If a NED chooses to stand down and contest another post he should not expect to be reappointed by the Board to the post he vacated, should it remain vacant and he fails in a contested election against an incumbent.

I thought that the etiquette was that existing Directors do not contest a post if the incumbent indicates that he will stand for reelection.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:05 pm

Michael Flatt wrote:The Articles do not permit Directors to hold two posts. I thought that the etiquette was that existing Directors do not contest a post if the incumbent indicates that he will stand for reelection.
They can't hold two posts but they can stand in more than one election.

Etiquette was not something I encountered too often during my last twelve months on the board :oops:

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:12 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:I don't know whether we should be alarmed, but an increasing number of the Board seem to have some connection either as management or employee with the Chess in Schools and Communities organisation.
Declaration: I'm not employed by CSC, but I am contracted by it as an arbiter at the London Chess Classic.

Turning to Roger's comment, of the actual Directors, I think it's only three out of ten. (One of the other seven was an arbiter at the Classic Festival last year.)

And one of the three is reportedly considering standing against another of the three.

Important Edit: I've been informed privately that the number is four rather than three. I accept that that significantly strengthens the numerical validity of Roger's point.
Last edited by David Sedgwick on Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:26 pm

David,

Why are you using the word 'reportedly' when you have the same e-mails as I do ? There is a plot to oust the Home Director. If submission of the nominations is timed correctly John Foley would be able to stand against Alex with the likelihood that if defeated he retains his NED post with or without the support of Council. [ He would either be returned or co-opted] If successful the Board can choose another NED of its liking. John Foley may be an honourable man I've no met him, but that doesn't mean he has honourable friends.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:01 pm

Why would anyone wish to oppose Alex Holowczak for the post of Director of Home Chess?

It defies what the chess public know of his abilities, his energy and his track record. No other director does more.

If this is simply a pissing contest between a board faction and AH, then the pissers should piss off.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:09 pm

He doesn't always say 'yes', perhaps?

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:17 pm

Two updates that caught my eye:

• Non-Executive Director (John Foley, not standing for re-election to this post)

• Director of Membership (David Thomas, standing for re-election)

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:29 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:Two updates that caught my eye:

• Non-Executive Director (John Foley, not standing for re-election to this post)
It seems to fit in with the discussion above, that he will be contesting another post.
I still think it rather strange that an existing Board Member would register as a hostile candidate to oppose a colleague and incumbent of the post.
Clearly, not Queensbury Rules.
Does he expect to be invited back as non Executive should his bid fail?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:35 pm

Am I right in thinking that Phil Ehr was nominated for his post by the candidate for a different post - and then proceded to nominate that candidate's opponent?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:44 pm

JustinHorton wrote:Am I right in thinking that Phil Ehr was nominated for his post by the candidate for a different post - and then proceded to nominate that candidate's opponent?
I hadn't heard that, but anything's possible.
Last, year there was the problem of talking down some candidates and supporting others in a personal election address. That has been stamped on this year.

I am expecting a dirty fight lots hits below the belt and plenty of mud slinging.
Watch the big fight live. 1:30pm Wednesday.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:55 pm

Michael Flatt wrote:Last, year there was the problem of talking down some candidates and supporting others in a personal election address. That has been stamped on this year.
Has it? :?

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:01 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Michael Flatt wrote:Last, year there was the problem of talking down some candidates and supporting others in a personal election address. That has been stamped on this year.
Has it? :?
Supposedly, but politicians are adept, allegedly, at reinterpreting rules to suit their own wishes.
With the ECF having taken Legal Advice, according to Julian C, one has to be careful as to what one says.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:03 pm

JustinHorton wrote:Am I right in thinking that Phil Ehr was nominated for his post by the candidate for a different post - and then proceded to nominate that candidate's opponent?
Yes, in 2013 Roger Edwards nominated Phil for Chief Executive while Phil nominated Andrew Paulson against Roger for President.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:07 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:Two updates that caught my eye:

How late can a candidate leave declaring an interest in a post?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard