Trying to renew membership

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
stevencarr

Trying to renew membership

Post by stevencarr » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:03 am

How the hell do you do this online?

I want to renew as a Silver membership, down from Gold, but I can't find a link on the ECF site which lets me do that.

Why can't they make it easy to take my money off me?

Neill Cooper

Re: Trying to renew membership

Post by Neill Cooper » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:15 am

On http://www.englishchess.org.uk/membersh ... embership/ half way down you should find:

Entering Your Details

1. Click on this link to go to the PaySubsOnline login page.

The link here should work!

ps Have they yet send out the renewal emails? Once they do I will remind my pupils they should renew.

stevencarr

Post by stevencarr » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:19 am

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it , but I've been there and done that.

After I enter all my details, it says my email address and name is already taken.

That looks to me like the screen for registering new people, not renewing existing people.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:22 am

It looks to me as though the Member Details tab assumes you want to renew with the same category of membership as you had last year. I was able to change this by going to the Payment tab and selecting a different category.

stevencarr

Post by stevencarr » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:26 am

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/membersh ... embership/

Click on this link to go to the PaySubsOnline login page.
If you have not previously created a password on the system click the Click here to create a password link.

Of course, 'this link' goes to a page that says nothing whatever about a password.

Bloody amateurs....

stevencarr

Post by stevencarr » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:34 am

Angus French wrote:It looks to me as though the Member Details tab assumes you want to renew with the same category of membership as you had last year. I was able to change this by going to the Payment tab and selecting a different category.
Thanks for the much needed help.

Eventually, I managed to do the same thing, following your advice.

Terrible system. I had to buy one thing and then change it when I got to the checkout.

The ECF web site. Remind me, was that the site which published new grades in July and updated the server in August?

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:47 am

Neill Cooper wrote:ps Have they yet send out the renewal emails? Once they do I will remind my pupils they should renew.
Yes, I got mine a few days ago, and it was very easy to renew (albeit unlike Steven I was simply renewing my Gold membership, not changing to a different category - I recollect options were easily available to upgrade to Platinum and/or donate to the England teams)
Any postings on here represent my personal views

stevencarr

Post by stevencarr » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:55 am

I have managed to renew, I think, but I haven't received any confirmation email.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:03 am

I had a confirmation of payment email from PayPal, but not a confirmation from the ECF - do they send one?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:23 am

Maybe worth flagging up the problems direct with the ECF rather than hoping that someone picks them up off here? :idea:

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:59 am

stevencarr wrote:I have managed to renew, I think, but I haven't received any confirmation email.
Mick Norris wrote:I had a confirmation of payment email from PayPal, but not a confirmation from the ECF - do they send one?
No. I received my renewal reminder 2 days after renewing.

The list of paid up members is downloadable from the ECF website, but I don't know how regularly it is updated. It's quite frustrating for organisers not being able to check with confidence whether or not a player is registered.

Many tournament websites now provide a list of entrants which is instantly and continuously updated. Could the ECF do the same for membership?

Ref: http://www.englishchess.org.uk/membersh ... ership.xls
Last edited by Michael Flatt on Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stevencarr

Post by stevencarr » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:29 am

The ECF has embraced modern technology so they can have a list of members in the blink of 2 days?

John Philpott

Post by John Philpott » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:03 pm

Michael Flatt wrote
The list of paid up members is downloadable from the ECF website, but I don't know how regularly it is updated. It's quite frustrating for organisers not being able to check with confidence whether or not a player is registered.

Many tournament websites now provide a list of entrants which is instantly and continuously updated. Could the ECF do the same for membership?
The 2014/15 list is updated automatically on a daily basis by the provider of the membership system. As equivalent arrangements are not yet in place for 2015/16, and there is clearly a need for information of this nature to be available to organisers, I have in an attempt to be helpful been extracting a daily list from the membership system myself and sending this to the webmaster to upload.

Having encountered FTP problems while the webmaster is on holiday this week, I have put in place a temporary workround, and as stated in a post recently added to the ECF website, the 2015/16 list can for the time being be accessed from http://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-conte ... ership.xls. My intention is to update this more than once a day, with the post being revised at the same time to indicate when the currently downloadable list was extracted from the system.

As to whether real time membership information can be available, that is really a question for the Membership Director.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:56 pm

John,

That's exceptionally kind to intervene and update the membership list yourself and to do it on a daily basis until the fault gets corrected.

What would we do without you?

Many thanks,
Michael

Dragoljub Sudar

Post by Dragoljub Sudar » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:41 pm

I sympathise with Steve.

When you first reach the site, you have to click on one of the renewal options, so I chose '3 year silver'.
When you get to the members details page, the viewing form shows the one year option instead, which cannot be changed.
It's only when you get to the payment page that you get a drop down list where I changed to the 3 year option.
Who designed this? Have they ever heard of 'user friendly'?
At least my name has appeared on the membership list. That's something I suppose.
Anyway, I won't have to go anywhere near it until 2018 by when it might actually work as it should!