Standards of Conduct for ECF Officials

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Roger de Coverly

Re: Standards of Conduct for ECF Officials

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:05 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:I don't suppose by any chance that Chris Fegan is the same person as the former vice-president of Chelmsford Star Co-op
This is the ECF's Chris Fegan, pictured at a chess event

http://raymorris-hill.smugmug.com/Sport ... /i-jSKSMKh

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:13 pm

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:29 pm

My source on this matter (to be known as "Shallow Throat" for discussion purposes) alluded to feedback provided by the Commericial Director regarding the presentation quality of the commentary during the ECF Congress.

To my mind the actual words and content of the commentary were enlightening and well worth listening to. Andrew and Ravi work well together.

Unfortunately the technical delivery of that content was dreadful and embarrassing for the ECF.

On many days it would have been better to stop transmission and just provide local commentary.

Attempting to broadcast using the web cam and microphone built into the lid of various laptops is obviously not going to cut the mustard. To then have a different technical problem each day protrayed the ECF in a very poor light.

For someone (such as the Commercial Director) attempting to market and publicise the ECF product this must have produced considerable pain.

I gather that the feedback from the CD was met with the "*u*k off" response from the DoHC resulting in the suspension.

However, (my source informs me) that the response was read out aloud to the persons within the officials temporary office in the Rootes Building prior to the send button being pressed.
Last edited by John Upham on Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:39 pm

Michael Flatt wrote:And this from the Essex Chronicle:
http://www.essexchronicle.co.uk/operati ... story.html
And this twitter account - https://twitter.com/christheanimal - for somebody who bills himself as "Animal Rights Activist and Chess Player" based in Chelmsford.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:18 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote: Does this conceal a policy dispute or is it a complete breakdown in personal relationships?
It now seems revealed as a mixture of both, the policy dispute being over the quality of the games coverage from the Warwick British in the sense of the sound and vision being fit for purpose.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:21 pm

The use of what might be termed "Industrial Language" is not at all uncommon in the UK.

For instance, http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/426139 ... Syria-vote

From the source, "shallow throat", it seems that the two protagonists were not in the same room and the communication was by email.

Was there an element of provocation in the email that generated the response?

Is it a case of six of one and half a dozen of the other?

And still no Official clarification of the incomplete statement posted on the ECF website.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:23 pm

Michael Flatt wrote:The use of what might be termed "Industrial Language" is not at all uncommon in the UK.
It is, but it's not wholly appropriate in a formal email.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:52 pm

I suspect that the reading out aloud of the response prior to sending may well have triggered the suspension.

Numerous persons were in the office including ECF Directors, Officials, Managers and Arbiters.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:53 pm

Does that imply that those "numerous persons" did not object to the response?
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:08 pm

This is supposition.

An email arrives which complains about the service being provided. The language used indicates that the sender has never spent time in the diplomatic service. It might be something like “Come on get the finger out! I’m trying to use this event to get sponsorship for the ECF and the live commentary is pathetic. Get it sorted out so that I can do my bit.”

The recipient has been working 14+ hour days (that part probably isn’t speculation but based on experience) and is not in the best of moods to receive a tactless email telling him of a problem that he is well aware of.

The recipient shows a moment of madness and responds in an inappropriate manner. A short time later this is realised and an apology sent.
The apology is not considered genuine and a complaint is made.

No attempt is made by the CEO to try to reconcile the two. Instead a Director is suspended, the complainant is not named. An appeal is made.

How close is this scenario to the truth? I don’t know. But I would not be surprised if it is close to the mark.

In reply to Carl – I don’t know the name of the other potential candidate for Home Director. I believe the current holder may have been asked by the CEO to consider another Directorship which I won’t name as I don’t want to undermine the current holder.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:09 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:I don't suppose by any chance that Chris Fegan is the same person as the former vice-president of Chelmsford Star Co-op who was, according to the local paper, removed from office in 2012 following a board-level row over the suspension of the co-op secretary, a move backed by Mr Fegan (also, incidentally, a local councillor) but overturned by the board?

http://www.essexchronicle.co.uk/Chelmsf ... story.html
That is a brilliant discovery, Roger.

They are indeed one and the same, as the photographs subsequently posted confirm.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:13 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Roger Lancaster wrote:I don't suppose by any chance that Chris Fegan is the same person as the former vice-president of Chelmsford Star Co-op who was, according to the local paper, removed from office in 2012 following a board-level row over the suspension of the co-op secretary, a move backed by Mr Fegan (also, incidentally, a local councillor) but overturned by the board?

http://www.essexchronicle.co.uk/Chelmsf ... story.html
That is a brilliant discovery, Roger.

They are indeed one and the same, as the photographs subsequently posted confirm.
This is also quite good
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:29 pm

I've no problem per se with someone being an animal rights activist, although I'd like to believe he or she stayed on the right side of the law. What concerned me was any possible involvement in a disciplinary case by someone whose record in that field was - and I'll put it no more strongly because there are two sides to most stories - questionable.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:08 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:There is supposed to be a new other place at some point:
May Minutes wrote:13 Communications

It was generally agreed that the different elements of the Federation’s Communication Strategy were developing positively (the Forum, Twitter, the website, and direct member e-mail for marketing and political matters); and that directors and other officers should continue to post more content on the Forum.

AP 95/13 BK to draw up new categories with a view to re-launching the Forum using the new software.
I wonder if that one will start with lots of posts from "Sue Dunham" as well? :lol:
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:31 pm

Alex McFarlane wrote: An email arrives which complains about the service being provided.
Malcolm Pein also comments unfavourably on the live coverage in the September 2015 Chess. I wasn't sure that the way it was set up had been much different from Aberystwyth last year, but perhaps the tie in with the website chess24 meant that the wider audience had an expectation of higher standards. Top class coverage is now established as a video feed of the players, the presenters on screen, the current position as well as the analysis and commentary. The adverts for Russian art galleries could be dispensed with.