ECF AGM aftermath

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Jonathan Rogers

Re: ECF AGM aftermath

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:53 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Jonathan Rogers wrote: That really is some "anti-Ehr and colleagues" nexus that you see out there. Why do you think MP actually prevailed, then?
Presumably there was some lack of satisfaction in David Openshaw's performance, perhaps not enough to trigger a loss to "none of the above", but sufficient to give Malcolm enough votes to replace him, there not being any opposition to Malcolm continuing as FIDE Delegate. If it mattered, the joint attendance of the FIDE Delegate and Home Director at the recent FIDE Congress suggested they could work together.
... all of which suggests voters considering their choices on their merits, then, which is not the picture JF likes to paint.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:43 pm

Both candidates scored well, and are clearly well regarded.
As I said in the `ECF elections 2015` thread, it would be good if David could be placed on the Board, if he is agreeable... perhaps as an additional NED.
I`m sure he could make a valuable contribution... has he any aspirations for the vacant CEO position...about which I`ve also commented.. to the effect that an election rerun (for some vacant posts...) might not go amiss....if procedurally feasible? So much red tape exists, its amazing that anything happens, except for endless exchanges to try to fight a way through the maze of `rules and restrictions` that lurk. But it does keep the `technocrats` fairly well engaged, in a battle of words on these forums at times like this..
Has the ECF become trussed up in a corporate straight jacket, that really doesn't fit well to its situation...?
A looser framework for such essentially amateur bodies, would be helpful, if one could be found.

Returning....
I guess MP grabbed it on `personal ratings` and connections... I hope the post runs well for him..
BRING BACK THE BCF

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:12 pm

The full recount is here:

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/ecf-agm-october-2105/

(posting in this thread and one other)

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:41 pm

Sorry to intrude, but I post this here in case my new thread at the Senior section is overlooked.

Senior players (born 1966 or earlier) - especially those who played in the 2015 senior events - please read the call I just posted there (and at the Other Place, Home Chess/ British Championships section) for an early decision about the number of rounds and dates for the 2016 British Senior Championships.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:18 pm

Must I Tim? Can't I carry on playing with the Grown Ups? At least for a few more years yet. It's not bedtime already, is it?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:27 pm

Tim Harding wrote:Sorry to intrude
This is the man who slapped my wrist on another thread for going off topic!!

edit : I suppose he did say sorry.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:48 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Tim Harding wrote:Sorry to intrude
This is the man who slapped my wrist on another thread for going off topic!!

edit : I suppose he did say sorry.
It was posted here because I thought some people involved in English chess admin (past present or future), or who influence such persons, might actually notice it.

In reply to Mr Farthing, we (the 65+ cohorts) are the real grown-ups.
Younger ancient folks don't have to play senior events if they don't want to.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:52 am

One of those loose ends, but did anyone ask the FIDE Delegate why a paragraph of his report had been deleted? His report was in two parts, the second part being an account by Alex H of the technical meetings he had attended at the FIDE meetings back in August.

There are at least two references to events the ECF might not want discussed as to why that paragraph may have been deleted, but who decided on the deletion?

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:09 am

This is a most serious matter requiring a full investigation.

I call on Chris Majer to set up an immediate enquiry chaired by someone who will take this matter seriously and not give up until all the circumstances have been thoroughly considered and a comprehensive explanation given for every dot and comma removed (as well, of course, as all the letters). A formal report should then be made to the Board by August 2016 and placed on the agenda of the 2016 AGM.

I humby suggest to Chris that an appropriate person for chairing the committee is the very person who has brought it up in this topic.

With luck, it will take the committee the full period until the next AGM to complete its investigations and so will keep them all out of mischief.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:30 am

There has been an upsurge of interest in the word 'aftermath' after the foundation-shaking events of last Saturn's day
The struggle between the right and wrong way of doing the same thing with the almost the same result reminded me of the film of the play A Few Good Men. The verdict is in and the CEO who was identified with the character of Col. Nathan R. Jessup, USMC (played by my favorite actor Jack Nicholson) has gone, along with his immediate staff officers. They comprised the "Code Red" nexus. Say what you will about them but they steadfastly maintain that they were doing the right thing for the good of all.

The winning young 'uns nexus, led by the Home Director, I identified with Lt. Daniel Kaffee, USN, JAG Corps (played by Tom Cruise) and it including several team players but they have proved harder to identify and match witj the cast of actors in the movie because they remain in post in the background. Perhaps they will come to prominence in future performances of a less brutal kind, hopefully.

I absolutely agree with the one good (and true to his principles) member of the ECF GC who showed tbat the only right thing to do when your colleagues do wrong tbings - or right things in an appallingly wrong way - is to resign your self and have done with the omnisshambles. Way to go!

That's all from me folks.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:36 am

After what I wrote, above, I am compelled to say that I am , largely, in agreement with what follows, sadly.
Michael Farthing wrote:This is a most serious matter requiring a full investigation.

I call on Chris Majer to set up an immediate enquiry chaired by someone who will take this matter seriously and not give up until all the circumstances have been thoroughly considered and a comprehensive explanation given for every dot and comma removed (as well, of course, as all the letters). A formal report should then be made to the Board by August 2016 and placed on the agenda of the 2016 AGM.

I humby suggest to Chris that an appropriate person for chairing the committee is the very person who has brought it up in this topic.

With luck, it will take the committee the full period until the next AGM to complete its investigations and so will keep them all out of mischief.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:22 am

Michael Farthing wrote:This is a most serious matter requiring a full investigation.
Never going to happen.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:10 am

You may be right, Carl.

But, I'll not be rejoining until the ECF say it won't, or it will.

In the end you have to make a last stand any way you can - even if it is just a token empty gesture on the part of a few men trying to do what they think is good. If everyone joined a won't-pay strike the ECF would soon do what the disgruntled-members nexus wanted. But the members won't strike in sufficient numbers until doomsday, and by then it will be far too late for salvation to take place.

In my post, above, forgot the links to A Few Good Men -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Few_Good_Men_(play)

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/MovieSp ... dered.html

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:34 am

I'm bemused. Did people take my post seriously!! Or have I just been out-dried?

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:35 am

It occurred to me last night that the debate about who lost to none of the above and why overshadowed the tremendous positives that came out of the election. No director stood down voluntarily and four of them were re-elected without dispute and will continue their work; this includes the most capable President we've had for a long time. For the first time Malcolm Pein is actually on the board and, although his brief is international, he will add a lot to the board in general and (speculating) may have the contacts to bring in the right person to take on the Commercial Director role. Julie Denning is clearly an excellent addition to the board as well.

So it's not really a meltdown at all.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own