New Site

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
John Moore

Re: New Site

Post by John Moore » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:16 pm

Ah Paul - you're the guy with the six foot monitor(!). Everything is designed with you in mind. Try watching without binoculars.

Simon Spivack

Post by Simon Spivack » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:42 pm

It certainly is a pig's breakfast. I'm not sure that the grading announcement should take precedence over Holloid. What will prospective sponsors think?

[pedantry]
Furthermore, who is this Stuart Reuben chap? Is he somebody we should know?
[/pedantry]

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:58 pm

Simon Spivack wrote:
[pedantry]
Furthermore, who is this Stuart Reuben chap? Is he somebody we should know?
[/pedantry]
He is the identical twin of Stewart Reuben although they were separated at birth.

Don't expect the office to know the names of ECF Directors : they have enough to do removing Managers who have resigned and Directors who never took up their posts.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:02 pm

It's a shame the ECF site is not up to the standard of Steve's site for the championship is it not?

http://www.britishchess09.com/
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:11 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:It's a shame the ECF site is not up to the standard of Steve's site for the championship is it not?

http://www.britishchess09.com/
Yes. Why can't he be recruited to work on the ECF site too?

Alasdair MacLeod

Post by Alasdair MacLeod » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:12 pm

This new website is worse than before - what was wrong with it in the first place? I liked it and if it ain't broke why change it? The "What's New" part was very useful.

The only reason given seems to be to make it CMS but this shouldn't change a perfectly good website into a shambles.No official explanation has been given on the website as to why this has happened.

Even worse, there is no archive to keep old stuff so the links to reports that I wrote over the past few years is now broken.

Bring back the old website!

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:50 pm

Alasdair MacLeod wrote:
Bring back the old website!
I very much hope not : it was totally unmanageable, some appalling layouts and nasty colour schemes, more broken links than I could count. Much duplication etc. Dreamweaver is NOT a content management tool and neither is notepad nor Microshaft Word. :lol:

The current CMS version needs to be made to work better I would agree.

The ex Manager of ICT brought in Joomla which was a good thing, Sophie left, Andrew Walker took over with the remit of DataBase Manager with no Joomla (or any other CMS) background whatsoever. Let us give Andrew a chance please. The tool itself is fine but the users need more experience with it.
Unfortunately, they do not wish to read the feedback on this forum as no doubt somebody has declared the forum a "nasty place to be".

Give it time...

Michele Clack

Post by Michele Clack » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:09 pm

I see they have a prominent link to the European Juniors on the front page. Excellent.

John Upham

ECF Shop now on-line

Post by John Upham » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:07 pm

The ECF web site has recently added a Shop feature allowing the purchase of various bits and bobs via PayPal and credit cards means. :D

I believe that an ECF diary has been successfully purchased and posted to its new home. :D

I believe that the renewal of memberships is being worked on, and, in the fullness of time, new memberships will be purchaseable. 8)

I'd like to thank Kirstie Lapworth for her hard work in getting this feature working enabling CoM support package materials to be bought on-line.

All I need to do now is to integrate these items into the CoM application!