The arbiter nexus

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
John McKenna

Re: The arbiter nexus

Post by John McKenna » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:36 am

My thanks to Martin and Andrew for their measured replies, above, to my post.

It is all a bit reminiscent of the 2000 US presidential election. In which not only hanging chads played a part but the inclusion of Ralph Nader - as an independent third candidate - probably determined the final result in favour of G.W. Bush.

In the run-up to last Saturday's ECF elections John Foley decided, a little too late in the day, that he would be an Al Gore and make it more of a direct clear-cut contest.

However, he ended up more like a Ralph Nader in that he couldn't attract significant numbers of votes from outside his own local nexus.

That does not mean that Alex H is anything like a George 'Dubya' Bush, except perhaps in one significant respect.

Namely, he inherited a powerbase and a group of senior advisers from his father. Alex H has his 'fathers' or I should say fatherly mentors, to thank, too.

(N.B. Filial thanks are not always forthcoming, though, I seem to recall that Alexander the Great may have had a hand in the assassination of his father on his road to the top of his world.)

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:29 pm

Mmmmm.... Like Prince Philip and Diana? About the same level of evidence.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:14 pm

There's more to things than meets the eye.
And more in things... than dreamed of in our philosophies, Michael.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:31 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:Am I alone in having noticed the refreshingly prompt and plain-speaking response Alex has given to a query on the ECF Forum? OK - he had good news to give - but it still felt good. And Traci has not lost any time in setting to work on her own initiative.
No you're definitely not alone in that Michael. Alex's response is a model in how such queries should be replied to.

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/Forum/vi ... f=25&t=464

PS is the arbiter nexus like the Borg in Star Trek? Its just that I'm playing at Bury St Edmunds this weekend and I don't want to be assimilated.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:09 pm

As an interested party I can fully comprehend why Alex H's announcement about the Senior Ch. was a while coming.

And, I can even partly understand how a format that was, in all probability, perfectly acceptable to most players got changed to a less acceptable one to most player. (Correct me if I'm wrong, please.)

I'm not having a go at Alex H, here, and woud like to congratulate him on his re-election.

Do remember, though, he used to be one of this forum's most prolific posters. Just around the time of the arrival of the team of the two big Yankee pinch hitters, Andrew P & Phil E, here at the court of King Roger and then at the ECF, Alex disappeared into the dugout and rarely put his head above the parapet. No wonder players found it difficult to reach him
Though he'll say, perhaps the dugout was always open you just hasd to clamber in.
Last edited by John McKenna on Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Philpott

Post by John Philpott » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:17 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote
You could add the instant meeting report as well as the recruiting initiative.
http://www.englishchess.org.uk/ecf-agm- ... more-34627

The official site has reported what happened before the unofficial ones. Admittedly something was necessary after the miscounted votes, but it's good practice if followed in future.
Positive feedback is always welcome. However, as the saying goes, one swallow does not make a summer. An early test will come in respect of tomorrow's Board meeting.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:24 pm

John McKenna wrote: And, I can even partly understand how a format that was, in all probability, perfectly acceptable to most players got changed to a less acceptable to most player. (Correct me if I'm wrong, please.)
Changes were made to the format of the British Championship Congress for 2014 which were not foreshadowed by the questionnaires asked at the 2013 event. These weren't limited to the split of the Seniors into 50-65 and over 65, but also cutting them back to six rounds. There was also the 3pm start, the cutting back of afternoon rounds to five hour sessions and the change to the morning sessions to 90 30.

The other loose end on the 2016 Championship is that a list of players already qualified has yet to be published.

All are issues that could have been raised at the 2015 AGM, but almost certainly weren't because of the distraction of the contested election for the Home Director position.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:34 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
SNIP

PS is the arbiter nexus like the Borg in Star Trek? Its just that I'm playing at Bury St Edmunds this weekend and I don't want to be assimilated.
I don't think you'll be in any danger at all, Chris, I found Bury St. Edmunds a very welcoming event and venue (must remember to go back) but, having said that, I recall being quite reluctant to leave and return to the mega-hive of London. Still even one such excellent event can make your autumn, as RdC probably knows only too well.

Edit: Thanks to Roger for spelling out a fuller answer about the way things went and are going regarding the British Seniors, etc.

Timeout for me, please, Mr.Umpire!

(

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:58 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
Michael Farthing wrote:Am I alone in having noticed the refreshingly prompt and plain-speaking response Alex has given to a query on the ECF Forum? OK - he had good news to give - but it still felt good. And Traci has not lost any time in setting to work on her own initiative.
No you're definitely not alone in that Michael. Alex's response is a model in how such queries should be replied to.

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/Forum/vi ... f=25&t=464

Chris

You've already been assimilated, that's the scary bit if you hadn't noticed :wink:
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:22 pm

I see John Foley is still having a go at Alex H in the other place.

While he would be better employed explaining himself on either forum and giving an apology I will not hold it against him and will instead quote from the Kane Dictionary of Americanisms.

AFTERMATH - This is the period following a count (abbreviated form of 'after the mathematics') e.g. It did not take too long to reach the aftermath of his votes.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:36 pm

Guess the ECF's All American Big-Bad-Band era is now over.

What's next - the fab four (Dom on bass, None on drums, Alex on lead guitar and Malc doing the vocals?)

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:45 pm

With Jack pitching in for the odd number where they need a trumpet. That could work.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:53 pm

Alex McFarlane wrote:I see John Foley is still having a go at Alex H in the other place.

While he would be better employed explaining himself on either forum and giving an apology I will not hold it against him and will instead quote from the Kane Dictionary of Americanisms.

AFTERMATH - This is the period following a count (abbreviated form of 'after the mathematics') e.g. It did not take too long to reach the aftermath of his votes.
Doing a Fegan as it's known.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:10 pm

John Foley doing a "Fegan"?!

That requires Jack to be on Gabriel's oboe to calm things down.

Hold on... Jack has no licence to play over the other side of the street and the resident buskers are hardly ever around (why is that?)

So nothing's gonna stop 'im now.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:50 pm

What's next - the fab four (Dom on bass, None on drums, Alex on lead guitar and Malc doing the vocals?)
IM Jack Rudd wrote:With Jack pitching in for the odd number where they need a trumpet. That could work.
Jack, sounds great, but with None on drums the rest of you will be in danger of becoming the Offbeat Deadbeats, I'm afraid.