The arbiter nexus

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Roger de Coverly

Re: The arbiter nexus

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:58 pm

John Upham wrote: Can you provide example of Council providing direction to the board?
As a body that never meets independently of the Board, the AGM attendees, aka Council, are not constituted in a manner that can formulate and dictate strategy.

What they can do and evidently will do is assert their independence of those who would tell them what to do and think. There's a bit in the CEO's report where he tells the voters that they should evaluate the performance of the Board as a whole, rather than individual directors. The election results suggest they were having none of that.
CEO Report wrote: In theory, the Council should evaluate the Board as a whole. In practice, the Council attempts to discern individual performances within the Board and make election choices accordingly.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:28 pm

The arbiter nexus has been identified and photographed!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-fr ... e-34594262

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:40 pm

Holy f**k, you guys! Do you not have something better to do with your lives? There is no f**king nexus, you all know it, the non-existent nexus knows it, those who dreamed it up as the most foolish reason ever to stand in opposition to something which doesn't actually exist know it, yet you keep blowing nonsense out of your arses. Can you not let this one die? If I was really into Twitter, it would be #boredtotearswiththefuckingnonexistentnexus

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:42 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:Holy f**k, you guys! Do you not have something better to do with your lives?
Of course not. We’re chess players.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:54 pm

A bit abusive Paul. But there is a nexus. Some of us want to play chess & may or may not have to go via the nexus.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:35 pm

Personally, I just send a message to my club mates asking who wants a game on Wednesday. Seems to work.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:48 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:Holy f**k, you guys! Do you not have something better to do with your lives? There is no f**king nexus, you all know it, the non-existent nexus knows it, those who dreamed it up as the most foolish reason ever to stand in opposition to something which doesn't actually exist know it, yet you keep blowing nonsense out of your arses. Can you not let this one die? If I was really into Twitter, it would be #boredtotearswiththefuckingnonexistentnexus
The only hope is that nexus-belief is an early symptom of Alzheimer's caused by the aluminium in the tinfoil hats these people wear.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:58 am

What did I last say before the rude interjections?

Let's see...
deny, deny, deny...
(Lots more of those around tonight, I see. Only to be expected. Never mind about them for now.)
E Michael White wrote:
John McKenna wrote:That would have been brilliant in the Life of Brian, Jack. (Coupled with a bit of bullying and threatening Romanic behaviour.

I'm both impressed and humbled.

And promise to stop covering the forum in grafitti.
Hello John
How many forums have you covered in al least one graffito ?

..and by the way the word "lodging" as used by yourself in another post was a gerund not a pure noun. If you wanted the pure singular noun form in English it is lodgings !

..and Martin Regan seems more on the mark than others in this thread. Sooner or later I'm expecting an arbiter to quote a preface or two.

The shepherds do seem a bit sheepish at present.

(Apart from the Hebraic and Caledonian ones.)

They may start with a preface but will soon be back to chapter & verse.

Thanks for setting me straight on those fine points of English grammar, Michael.

I am, and have ever been, only a member of one forum - this one is necessary and sufficient for me.

Always enjoy your contributions even though the words "pearls, wisdom & swine" come to mind.

(I am a bit of a swine at times, myself, sadly snort of wisdom & pearls, but I know them when I see them.)

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:28 am

1. John Foley claims: "There is an emerging awareness of the effectiveness of chess in delaying the onset of Alzheimers (sic)"

2. John Foley claims the existence of a 'nexus' operating against the true interests of english chess.

3. The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence issues its latest set of guidelines (http://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng16/): Dementia, disability and frailty in later life – mid-life approaches to delay or prevent onset

This document totally fails to mention "chess" or even "mind sports" and concentrates instead on such fripperies as,
helping people stop smoking, be more active, reduce alcohol consumption, improve their diet and, if necessary, lose weight and maintain a healthy weight

Do we conclude that the icy tentacles of the the nexus spread further than we previously imagined?
Last edited by Jonathan Bryant on Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Martin Regan

Post by Martin Regan » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:35 am

JB:
Do we conclude that the icy tentacles of the the nexus spread further than we previously imagined?
No, we conclude that you are simply a tad obsessed with a dubious ECF claim about chess and dementia which to my mind was a little like the pet food manufacturers claim that "Eight out of ten cats" prefer a certain brand - sounds plausible until you think about it.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:07 am

Martin Regan wrote:JB:
No, ... a dubious ECF claim ....
Aside from anything else Martin, that should be claims plural.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:14 am

Martin Regan wrote: a dubious ECF claim about chess and dementia
Also one made by all sorts of prominent figures in chess, in several countries, over a period of years.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:58 am

John Foley wrote:
I would have posted this on the official forum but I have learned that its days are numbered. Bill Phillips, ex local Councillor, charity trustee, league controller, entrepreneur and now ex ECF forum moderator has just resigned.
I see his name has now disappeared from the ECF forum, oddly enough on the same day that I decided I could rejoin.