Ask the Directors

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Roger de Coverly

Re: Ask the Directors

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:29 pm

Michael Flatt wrote: The ECF 'Ask a Director' facility doesn't offer the same opportunity for debate since all questions submitted and their responses are private.
That's not how it was originally announced, even though that's how it has operated in practice.

from the ECF website
Where we think a question and answer will be of general interest we may publish them on the ECF website in an anonymised form. Please indicate if you agree to this?

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:41 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:I suspect that very few questions have been asked.
The last one that went into my inbox, on 26/02, was #196.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:56 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:

Was it, "how many questions have been asked"?

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:58 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
194 questions (or were many more like my two "Tell the Directors"), and not one that was worth publishing on the ECF website?

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:40 pm

Presumably, if the same director was repeatedly asked the same (or a very similar) question, he or she would take steps to publicise the question and answer - if only to reduce the number of times he or she had to continue to trot out much the same response. Since this seems not to happen, perhaps one should infer that the directors receive a large number of diverse questions? Whether that's true or not, I suggest that the directors should be applauded for making the effort to communicate.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:46 pm

Now hold on there, Roger.
It is a sine qua non that directors be never congratulated - let alone applauded.
Please withdraw that suggestion forthwith and preferly fifthwith.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:02 pm

I suppose the critical point is that all questions have been answered. This contrasts with the failed official forum where questions and feedback frequently went unanswered.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:18 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:I suppose the critical point is that all questions have been answered.
Not in public though, so the directors could promise almost anything to make the questioners go away.

I think Alex H did give some limited feedback on what had been asked. He suggested it was questions such as "How or when do I get a grade?" or "When is the next grading list published?"

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:40 pm

Not in public though, so the directors could promise almost anything to make the questioners go away.
You've caught us out. Yes, that's what we do all the time.

What on earth is the matter with you?

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:46 pm

Mike Truran wrote:
You've caught us out. Yes, that's what we do all the time.

What on earth is the matter with you?
With the 'Ask a Director' facility being up and running for around one year there is perhaps an expectation that a FAQs page might have appeared on the ECF website so as to respond to some of the more commonly asked questions.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:50 pm

Mike Truran wrote: You've caught us out. Yes, that's what we do all the time.
Were I to ask under "Ask the Director" why is it that some of the prize categories awarded in the British Championship at Bournemouth 2016 will not be awarded in Llandudno 2017, would I get a public answer?

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:53 pm

With the 'Ask a Director' facility being up and running for around one year there is perhaps an expectation that a FAQs page might have appeared on the ECF website so as to respond to some of the more commonly asked questions.
That's not the point. Roger was quite clearly insinuating that we might lie for an easy life. That's an outrageous allegation.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:58 pm

Mike Truran wrote: That's not the point. Roger was quite clearly insinuating that we might lie for an easy life. That's an outrageous allegation.
Not so much lying, but saying different things to different people with the expectation that they won't compare notes. The BCF/ECF has a long history of being economical with the truth. The suggestion that it was a FIDE requirement that a "white form" had to be signed to allow players to take part in the 4NCL and other FIDE rated competitions being just one of several. "Forgetting" to mention that the ECF was involved with Kasparov in taking legal actuion against FIDE being another.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:07 pm

Mike Truran wrote:
That's not the point. Roger was quite clearly insinuating that we might lie for an easy life. That's an outrageous allegation.
One option might be for those asking questions to have the facility to provide feedback by rating their satisfaction and the timeliness of the response.
Last edited by Michael Flatt on Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:08 pm

You have insinuated that the current Board would lie for an easy life (or be "economical with the truth" or "say different things to different people", which in my book amounts to pretty much the same thing).

Quoting examples from previous regimes, whether true or false, and which in any event have nothing to do with the current Board, doesn't wash.