ECF enewsletter

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Bill Porter

Re: ECF enewsletter

Post by Bill Porter » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:19 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:Those who are both ECF members and whose email address is known to the ECF Office will have seen this new initiative from the Publicity Manager.

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/ecf-enewsletter-is-out/
I signed up for it a while ago. You don't (or didn't) have to be a member.

Good to see the ECF now understands the 'unsubscribe' concept. :D

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:25 pm

Bill Porter wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:Those who are both ECF members and whose email address is known to the ECF Office will have seen this new initiative from the Publicity Manager.

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/ecf-enewsletter-is-out/
I signed up for it a while ago. You don't (or didn't) have to be a member.

Good to see the ECF now understands the 'unsubscribe' concept. :D
" exclusive to ECF members" allegedly.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:30 pm

" exclusive to ECF members" allegedly.
We may look at that.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:06 pm

Mark Jordan wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote:Do we have a sample we can publish here or is it mailing list only?
We want to keep it to the mailing list, Carl, but seeing this is the first edition I'll see what I can do.
Maintaining a mailing list is horrible so something like MailChimp should be recommended.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Simon Brown

Post by Simon Brown » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:24 pm

Very welcome to see this website helping and praising the other, and the other site receiving the help with thanks and listening to (almost entirely) constructive comments.

Mike, for what it's worth I would make it available to anyone who subscribes, via MailChimp. The way things are going I may even join the ECF again despite no intention to play, as I see nothing but positives from the current regime.

Simon

Mark Jordan

Post by Mark Jordan » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:05 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:I don’t seem to be on the mailing list either. I’ve had stuff from the ECF before, but haven’t received this email.
Some people on the mailing list did not receive the eNewsletter, though most did, which was down to an error on my part. This will be remedied by Tuesday at the latest. My apologies.

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:51 pm

The ECF enewsletter is a great invention.
For comparison, as a member of British Cycling I receive a weekly 'Members News'.
The ECF will need to decide whether or not they wish to limit the circulation list to members. After all there are few 'Members benefits'.

One suggested change is that, when possible, the From address becomes more formal (e.g. ECF Pulicity)

Mark Jordan

Re: ECF enewletter DISTRIBUTION

Post by Mark Jordan » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:49 am

:oops: We've had a couple of technical issues and at least one problem caused by my intervention affecting the distribution of the eNewsletter. We'd like it to be available to everyone who wants one! If you're a member and didn't receive one, if you're on the mailing list and are similarly bereft, or even if you're neither a member or on the mailing list and would like a copy, email me at [email protected] and I'll forward you a copy. I'll wait until I've got a few requests so I can forward in bulk so please give me a couple of days grace!

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:55 am

Mark - why make work for yourself and risk missing people off your list? Use MailChimp and import all the subscribers (members) then create a signup box for the ECF site (see Hampstead or Golders Green chess sites for an example.

I wasn't on your email list, but would love to receive the newsletter and I'm happy to sign up.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:45 pm

It appears the ECF Board share my view that the enewsletter and ChessMoves cover the same ground.

From http://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-conte ... ersion.pdf
The Board agreed to discontinue Chess Moves, noting that the 8 members who
subscribe to a paper copy would be contacted and alternative arrangements be made.

Gareth T Ellis

Post by Gareth T Ellis » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:00 pm

The 2nd ECF enewsletter arrived today, well done Mark and team.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:25 pm

Not appeared in this members inbox yet...
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:34 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:Not appeared in this members inbox yet...
I got one this time though :)

Mark Jordan

Post by Mark Jordan » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:42 pm

I don't know why it isn't, Adam. I assume we have your current email address. Perhaps it's being blocked by your security. There are quite a lot of links which tends to raise the suspicion of firewalls or it may just not like ECF emails for some reason. I'll try emailing it to you myself from my email. If that doesn't work there should be a link on the website tomorrow and you can access it that way.

We're hoping we'll have less of these problems than we did for the first one but we'll have to cross our fingers and see!

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:09 pm

Mark Jordan wrote:
I don't know why it isn't, Adam. I assume we have your current email address. Perhaps it's being blocked by your security. There are quite a lot of links which tends to raise the suspicion of firewalls or it may just not like ECF emails for some reason. I'll try emailing it to you myself from my email. If that doesn't work there should be a link on the website tomorrow and you can access it that way.

We're hoping we'll have less of these problems than we did for the first one but we'll have to cross our fingers and see!
Is it not a PDF then?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard