Player of the Year

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Angus French

ECF Player of the Year 2016

Post by Angus French » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:38 am

I've just received an email invitation (from Stewart Reuben via Andrew Walker at the ECF Office) to vote for above.

FWIW, I voted for Jonathan Hawkins for his support of and victory in the 2015 British Championship. I'd like to see Jonathan playing for England in team competitions.

Jonathan Bryant

Player of the Year

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:05 pm

I understand that an email has been sent out to members about the Player of the Year this morning. It’s not been sent to me though. Or maybe it has but it’s the same issue as the Newsletter which never reaches me either.

Anybody else not received the email?

IM Jack Rudd

Re: Player of the Year

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:14 pm

I've just forwarded the email to you.

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:14 pm

I haven't received the email, nor have I ever received the new emailed newsletter.

It seems the ECF don't have my email address.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:27 pm

Richard James wrote:I haven't received the email, nor have I ever received the new emailed newsletter.

It seems the ECF don't have my email address.

I’ve just had a call from the ECF Office. Very good service.

It seems on this occasion the problem was at my end. The email was viewable via my webmail account but hadn’t reached Outlook on my laptop for some reason.

With regards to the Newsletter I understand that the situation is different but there’s a new system going to be implemented for next month which should increase the likelihood of the newsletter getting through.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:30 pm

I got the email. Are the contents meant to be non-public? The link in the email goes to https://www.wufoo.com/ which is a new one on me (though I have heard of the parent company, SurveyMonkey, that acquired it in 2011). Next thing you know, there will be a website out there with easy-to-use forms making it easy for people in a team squad to say which matches they can play in...

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:34 pm

If anyone here thinks they should be but are not getting emails/newsletters etc from the Office, feel free to contact them (see below) - they will do their best to help.

Assuming you want to receive them of course. :wink:

English Chess Federation, The Watch Oak, Chain Lane, Battle, East Sussex TN33 0YD
Tel: 01424 775222 Fax: 01424 775904 Email: [email protected]

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:42 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:I got the email. Are the contents meant to be non-public?
No, the text is published on the website.

I’m not really keen on the "We’ll decide who you can vote for" approach, but at least this year’s list is more diverse than last year’s utter shambles.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:34 pm

Umm. There isn't even the option of 'None of the above' !

Ian Wallis

Post by Ian Wallis » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:16 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:Anybody else not received the email?
I have received the e-mail but have never received a Newsletter :? - I read it on the website
Christopher Kreuzer wrote: Next thing you know, there will be a website out there with easy-to-use forms making it easy for people in a team squad to say which matches they can play in...
You could do that in SurveyMonkey, it's free to sign up.

The problem will be getting people to fill it in, just the same as getting them to respond to e-mails! :x

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:00 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:I’m not really keen on the "We’ll decide who you can vote for" approach, but at least this year’s list is more diverse than last year’s utter shambles.
Yes, presumably Mr Reuben had nothing to do with it :lol:

I got the email and have voted - are we doing a poll on here again?

I also see in the email "There could be a DVD of the Year, but nobody so far has shown interest in joining such a committee", which prompts the question, do people watch DVDs (as opposed to CD ROMs or just logging into online training)?

I nominate Roger for the committee :wink:
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Dragoljub Sudar

Post by Dragoljub Sudar » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:02 pm

Please no! He's far too valuable as an independent voice. We wouldn't want him to be compromised by 'collective responsibility'.

Seriously though, setting aside his tendency to go off on one of his hobby horses, many people who read the forum value Roger's contributions as they learn as much (probably more) from his postings about what is happening as they do from 'official' communications. You could say he is the peoples' unofficial ECF non-executve director as he does a great job of asking questions about how they do things, and sometimes some good comes out of it. For example, I'm pleased to see Mike Truran's positive comments on the 'arbiter proposals' thread regarding communications with leagues etc.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:09 pm

Arguably that was in spite of Roger, not because of him...

Have not decided who to vote for yet. Pity you can only vote for one person.

Dragoljub Sudar

Post by Dragoljub Sudar » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:22 pm

Maybe, but the point I'm making is that it was Roger who initiated the discussion by creating that thread, alerting me and others to a policy that many had not been aware of, and, as a result of further postings by other people, Mike made his helpful comments.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:55 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:I understand that an email has been sent out to members about the Player of the Year this morning. It’s not been sent to me though. Or maybe it has but it’s the same issue as the Newsletter which never reaches me either.

Anybody else not received the email?
I got this e-mail but have yet to receive one telling me that a newsletter has been published.

The list of nominees suggests to me that's its been a pretty bleak year for English chess when several players' "outstanding result" is tying for a minor place in an open tournament, and one of the nominees has had no outstanding results at all.