ECF elections 2016

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Roger de Coverly

Re: ECF elections 2016

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:34 am

Julie Denning wrote: However, for the avoidance of doubt, I have not been party to, or aware of, any "gagging order". I don't know who has advised Carl.
The question is whether it can or should be published in whole or part on this forum.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:42 am

Julie Denning wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote:Ouch it's critical no wonder the ECF wants to gag this one.
I presume we're all thinking about the same letter, which I have received through 2 separate emails. Firstly, as a Board member and I wouldn't seek to distribute it in that capacity beyond its original addressees. However, for the avoidance of doubt, I have not been party to, or aware of, any "gagging order". I don't know who has advised Carl. Secondly, it was emailed to me as President of the SCCU, along with all my fellow committee members, seeking our support. I imagine it was sent similarly to all the other Unions. In principle, if I was to vote in favour of the SCCU backing the author, I would have felt quite entitled to circulate it around officials of the County I represent there. In reality this didn't happen as it only appeared a couple of days ahead of the deadline for candidates for election at the forthcoming AGM, thus making meaningful consultation impractical and, as already observed, was then promptly withdrawn.
Yes, I'm guessing now it went to the 5 Unions, the MCF and the London League - whatever you think of the contents, the last minute nature of it shows a lack of understanding of what is practical
Julie Denning wrote:As Mike Truran has reported on this Forum, the Governance Committee are considering points raised in the letter, but it is my suspicion (noting that they largely refer to matters before I was on the Board) that the person they say most about is the author.
Indeed they do, I'm not sure if Phil realises though :roll:
Any postings on here represent my personal views

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:53 am

If I could ask the four NED candidates a single question, it would be how they feel about this document. One of them has of course just answered.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:11 pm

Well, you could always try asking the question of the other incumbent NED via the ECF's Ask the Directors facility, or indeed by emailing him on the email address given on the ECF website.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:14 pm

He's not a candidate, Mike (at least he is an unopposed candidate, for a different role).

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:20 pm

That's true. :oops:

Although as an NED incumbent rather than an NED candidate he may have a more informed view than others.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:28 pm

As I think Michael guessed, I wish to use their replies as input when judging their suitability for office. It might be assumed that the candidate proposed by Phil Ehr would support his comments, but it would be better if he expressed a view himself.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:44 pm

The document makes for interesting reading, although obviously it's ultimately a blueprint for a candidacy that never was. As a more general summary of the board divisions last year it's a useful enough document and Phil Ehr is more than entitled to have his say and have his views respected. What is noticeable however is that he is happy to criticise others (always taking care not to make it personal) while remaining silent on the frequently atrocious behaviour of his immediate allies on the board, the strategic mistakes they made and the number of influential figures he managed to alienate.

It is also noticeable that on occasion he uses the default position of every individual who has failed to get on with Council, namely claiming to speak for phantom hordes of disenfranchised players.

Finally, with regard to `his` nomination for Non Executive Director it's worth pointing out that a nomination does not imply endorsement.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:57 pm

However, there is a certain inclination, I'm afraid, to judge a candidate by the company he keeps :-(

Peter Hornsby

Post by Peter Hornsby » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:14 pm

Hi everyone! Just joined the forum, great to see the enthusiasm for the upcoming AGM, and I look forward to getting to know as many of you as possible very soon :D

The election addresses will be published shortly so you'll get to know more about me then, but in the meantime please feel free to direct message me with any question you may have either on here or send an email to [email protected] . I'm not sure using this public forum as means to promote one's candidacy as part of the etiquette, but of course I invite anyone who sees fit to share what responses I give into the public domain.

Many thanks!

Peter :)
Founder and Director of 2020 Chess
www.2020chess.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:20 am

Just out of interest, is the donation, around which Phil describes a sizeable controversy, referred to anywhere in any minutes I can look at?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Julie Denning

Post by Julie Denning » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:05 am

Peter Hornsby wrote: I'm not sure using this public forum as means to promote one's candidacy as part of the etiquette, but of course I invite anyone who sees fit to share what responses I give into the public domain.

Peter :)
Hi Peter,

As you will know, all candidates for election were required to supply the Company Secretary with any election address they wished (up to 750 words maximum) by the deadline for nominations. All election addresses thus submitted will be published simultaneously on the ECF website. (I'm not sure when this will be this year.) The logic is to put all candidates on a level playing field. For example, I couldn't wait till I'd seen yours, then write my address in a manner designed to knock yours. The election rules haven't really caught up with the age of the internet, but my understanding is that we shouldn't use forums or websites in a way that upset the intended level playing field. However, I see no objection to anyone openly using this forum to ask a candidate a specific question and the candidate responding.

I look forward to meeting you at the AGM.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:38 am

Peter,

I will come straight to the heart of the matter from my own perspective.

Over the last few years the ECF has faced a big division, mainly of personality, but in my estimation also of policy. You have been nominated by someone who has been a major protagonist in that division and I would like to ask you directly whether you share Phil Ehr's vision for the ECF or if his nomination of you was simply (a perfectly acceptable) courtesy to give someone wishing to stand the opportiunity to do so. Perhaps if you have a different vision from Phil's you might give an indication of what your own vision is?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:54 am

Julie Denning wrote: All election addresses thus submitted will be published simultaneously on the ECF website. (I'm not sure when this will be this year.)
Is there any reason why it could not have been yesterday?

Julie Denning

Post by Julie Denning » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:19 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Julie Denning wrote: All election addresses thus submitted will be published simultaneously on the ECF website. (I'm not sure when this will be this year.)
Is there any reason why it could not have been yesterday?
Nick,

Not that I'm aware of. I suspect John P might be waiting till the agenda is finalised (which I think it about is) then publishing them along with any other papers that are ready.