ECF elections 2016

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Alex Holowczak

Re: ECF elections 2016

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:11 pm

NickFaulks wrote:Is that an election or an appointment? Please forgive a beginner who is not immersed in these things.
It's an election; see 10.9.4 on your copy of the Agenda. :)

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:17 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote: It's an election; see 10.9.4 on your copy of the Agenda.
I'd got that far, but the whole of #10 is headed "Elections and Appointments".

10.9.2 and 10.9.4 do not include "standing for (re-)election", so I wondered if that was significant.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:26 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote: It's an election; see 10.9.4 on your copy of the Agenda.
I'd got that far, but the whole of #10 is headed "Elections and Appointments".

10.9.2 and 10.9.4 do not include "standing for (re-)election", so I wondered if that was significant.
The only thing in #10 that is appointed is the Auditor.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:27 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote: The only thing in #10 that is appointed is the Auditor.
I accept that as one plausible interpretation.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:36 am

David Robertson wrote:
Angus French wrote:So, most of the AGM papers have been published and are available. Kudos to the Board, John Philpott, the ECF Office and, I'm sure, many others for getting them out in good time.
Did Angus French publish his statement outlining his fitness to be member of the Governance Ctte? Possibly I missed it.
He didn't - and nor did other candidates for membership of the Governance and Finance Committees as, I believe, is the norm.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:25 am

Angus French wrote:
David Robertson wrote:Did Angus French publish his statement outlining his fitness to be member of the Governance Ctte? Possibly I missed it.
He didn't - and nor did other candidates for membership of the Governance and Finance Committees as, I believe, is the norm.
Never mind norms; it's rules that count - especially in matters of good governance. Candidates for re-election are not required to resubmit a statement. But you have never been elected to the Committee. You were appointed, presumably by its Chair, to a casual vacancy. That's fine. But you are now formally a candidate for election at the AGM where Council members deserve to know what they are electing. A statement is required - unless, of course, different standards apply these days.

Bob Kane

Re: ECF elections 2016 Boards report

Post by Bob Kane » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:31 pm

Subject: C25.6.1 The Board’s Report ~communication improvement claims

Just for the record my comments in bold

"One area for which the Board as a whole, rather than any individual Director, has ownership is that of communication. The Board has made great efforts to improve performance in this regard. A Publicity Officer has been appointed, ( Mark was recruited in August 2015 the appointment confirmed by the Board 18th Sept 2015) a new email database has been set up so that the Board can communicate directly with league and congress organisers, the ECF forum has been closed down, a new monthly e-newsletter has been implemented to replace Chess Moves, ( the previous revamped chess moves had 4/6 pages of games and downloadable PGNs + popular member offers, new in chess , informators etc, this "new" newsletter is a poor substitute ) much more use is being made of social media such as Twitter and Facebook ( not true since the Board got rid of the social media manager the tweets have drastically reduced in Quality and quantity), and an Ask the Directors facility has been implemented so that members (and indeed anyone else) can interact directly with Directors. ( so you can now send a private email to a director,(wow !) this effectively curtails any public discussion of contentious issues)Much work remains to be done in this area (including a long overdue upgrading of the ECF website) but, as the saying has it, “every journey begins with a single step”.

hardly an improvement in communication, rather a dismantling of the existing communication tools

Bob Kane

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:25 pm

Fun fun fun here
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Jonathan Rogers

Re: ECF elections 2016 Boards report

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:27 pm

Bob Kane wrote: since the Board got rid of the social media manager the tweets have drastically reduced in Quality and quantity
If there were previously tweets of great quality, I for one missed them (though I would agree that an active Twitter presence is highly desirable)
Bob Kane wrote: and an Ask the Directors facility has been implemented so that members (and indeed anyone else) can interact directly with Directors. ( so you can now send a private email to a director,(wow !) this effectively curtails any public discussion of contentious issues)

Bob Kane

But there are other avenues for public discussion. The Ask the Director facility presumably exists for those who may wish to keep their communications private, and is presumably still to be regarded as an improvement on the previous situation.

One primary avenue for public discussion of contentious issues is of course this very forum. There are those who think that the ECF itself should have ownership of public discussion of ECF affairs, which in principle is reasonable enough, but it seems to me that some such supporters have never come to terms with the fact that the official forum was in fact an abject failure and that the reversion to discussing matters in this forum has been vastly more successful in terms of public communication.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:29 pm

We getting ready for the elections
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:32 pm

Nothing much happened so far

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:44 pm