ECF elections 2016

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
NickFaulks

Re: ECF elections 2016

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:02 am

Roger de Coverly wrote: but I don't see anything that the ECF can be censored with in this case.
or even censured? Freudian, perhaps.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:11 am

Angus French wrote:
Mike Truran wrote:Relative calm descends on the forum (for a few hours at least).

No doubt all hell will break loose once papers start getting published tomorrow (God willing) ...... :wink:
So, most of the AGM papers have been published and are available here. Kudos to the Board, John Philpott, the ECF Office and, I'm sure, many others for getting them out in good time.
Two of the papers which weren't published and which remain to be published - almost three weeks on, and with just a few days to go before the AGM - are the election addresses of the candidates for Non-executive Chairman and for Director of International Chess.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:49 am

Angus French wrote: Two of the papers which weren't published and which remain to be published - almost three weeks on, and with just a few days to go before the AGM - are the election addresses of the candidates for Non-executive Chairman and for Director of International Chess.
Do these documents actually exist though? It was stated at the start of the process that all election addresses would be published simultaneously, with the obvious aim of preventing a candidate from using his to respond to earlier addresses as happened last year. There is no obligation for candidates to publish an address and indeed a few of this year's addresses aren't particularly substantial.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Julie Denning

Post by Julie Denning » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:56 am

Angus French wrote:
Angus French wrote:
Mike Truran wrote:Relative calm descends on the forum (for a few hours at least).

No doubt all hell will break loose once papers start getting published tomorrow (God willing) ...... :wink:
So, most of the AGM papers have been published and are available here. Kudos to the Board, John Philpott, the ECF Office and, I'm sure, many others for getting them out in good time.
Two of the papers which weren't published and which remain to be published - almost three weeks on, and with just a few days to go before the AGM - are the election addresses of the candidates for Non-executive Chairman and for Director of International Chess.
Angus,

Whilst not wishing to offer an explanation or excuse for those candidates not submitting election address ahead of the deadline for nominations, any submitted since could not be published. Bye Law No. 3 states:-

"12.8.1 The candidates complying with 12.7 above may supply to the Secretary an election address not exceeding 750 words, which the Company shall at its own expense without any amendment (save in respect of material judged by the Secretary to be defamatory) either copy and circulate with the Agenda or publish on the website at an address identified on the Agenda. Election addresses received before the deadline for applications shall be published simultaneously on the website after the deadline has closed. Election addresses received after the deadline shall not be published."

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:20 am

Julie Denning wrote:
Angus French wrote:
Angus French wrote: So, most of the AGM papers have been published and are available here. Kudos to the Board, John Philpott, the ECF Office and, I'm sure, many others for getting them out in good time.
Angus,

Whilst not wishing to offer an explanation or excuse for those candidates not submitting election address ahead of the deadline for nominations, any submitted since could not be published. Bye Law No. 3 states:-

"12.8.1 The candidates complying with 12.7 above may supply to the Secretary an election address not exceeding 750 words, which the Company shall at its own expense without any amendment (save in respect of material judged by the Secretary to be defamatory) either copy and circulate with the Agenda or publish on the website at an address identified on the Agenda. Election addresses received before the deadline for applications shall be published simultaneously on the website after the deadline has closed. Election addresses received after the deadline shall not be published."
Thanks Julie - and Andrew who I see has said the same. That explains it. I wonder, though, whether the Bye Law might be modified so as not to apply to uncontested elections. I'd very much like to know on what basis the candidates are standing. It seems to me, for example, that the goals which the Director of International Chess set himself last year must have changed...

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:56 pm

Angus French wrote: I wonder, though, whether the Bye Law might be modified so as not to apply to uncontested elections.
The late published document that caused so much controversy last year applied to a non contested election (albeit one that was lost to none of the above) but I realised today that it was actually the report of the individual concerned rather than his election address. I believe there is no rule preventing candidates from making further comment after the AGM documents are published and the former CEO did have a right to defend himself against criticism. However it is only right that election addresses and reports should be published on a level playing field.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:42 pm

The AGM takes place tomorrow.

I may be mistaken but I don’t think anyone has commented here about the Board’s proposed Five-year Plan. To my mind this is one of the most important items on the agenda. Here is what I wrote about it in a consultation email to Bronze members:
Bronze members' consultation email wrote:
The Five-year Plan

As John Philpott, the ECF’s Financial Controller, is retiring, the Board is asking for approval to hire a two-days-a-week bookkeeper at a cost of £10,000 a year. I think this should be supported. The ECF has been very fortunate to have John as a volunteer - and an excellent volunteer at that.

At its Finance meeting six months ago Council approved increased expenditure in a number of areas with funding coming not from increases in membership and game fees (as the Board had proposed) but from Reserves. If expenditure is to continue and, in some cases, increase then a more sustainable basis for its funding is needed. Council is now asked to consider the Board’s Five-year Plan (described here with figures here) and provide guidance in respect of: i) Increases in Membership and Game fees; ii) Funding of the ECF from the funds in the Permanent Invested fund and the John Robinson Youth Chess Trust; and iii) Transfers from the Permanent Invested Fund to the Chess Trust. I’ll try to explain what I think this means…

The suggested increases in membership fees are £1 on the adult Bronze rate (and pro-rata on other categories of membership and game fee) in 2017/18 and the same in 2019/20. These are smaller increases than those put forward at the April Finance meeting… The Permanent Invested Fund (PIF) and the John Robinson Youth Chess Trust (JRT) are independent trust funds which provide additional funding for the ECF. Currently the trusts limit the funding they provide to the income they receive on their investments. The proposal – which would be subject to the approval of fund trustees – is to use some of the capital of the funds as well as the income. For more details of the rationale for this, please see the Finance section of the Board’s report to Council. The additional funding would amount to between £30,000 and £40,000 a year, with more than half of the money going to support junior chess... The Chess Trust is a newly created Charity which is tax efficient but limited in the support it can provide; it is not able to support professional chess. What are your views on the proposals and the suggested fee increases?

I have some concern about expenditure on international chess. This has increased significantly this year and is set - according to the Five-year Plan - to increase significantly further. For the nine years between 2006/7 and 2014/15, net expenditure in an accounting period was between
£18K and £25K. Now for 2015/16 it is forecast to be £40K. The budget for 2016/17 is for £50K and the projections for 2017/18 and 2018/19 are, respectively, £65K and £70K. See here for the figures and their sources. Responsibility for funding of the bulk of the net cost of international chess falls, and is set to fall, on members of the Federation and game fee payers. I am keen to hear whether or not Bronze members are happy to support this expenditure.

It seems to me that there are discrepancies in the figures for the financing of the Junior Academy. If I am right then this may impact the five-year plan. I’ve made an enquiry about this.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:03 pm

If they want more on junior chess then why not raise junior fees alone?
Why not plan to have less fees? That will be popular.
Possibly Council will say no - take it from reserves?
Hopefully you have all got your votes & proxies.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:21 pm

Anyone there tomorrow reporting?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:31 pm

it will be nice if someone will. I'll buy them a pint the next time I see them.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:38 pm

Angus French wrote:So, most of the AGM papers have been published and are available. Kudos to the Board, John Philpott, the ECF Office and, I'm sure, many others for getting them out in good time.
Did Angus French publish his statement outlining his fitness to be member of the Governance Ctte? Possibly I missed it.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:42 pm

Angus French wrote:The AGM takes place tomorrow.

I may be mistaken but I don’t think anyone has commented here about the Board’s proposed Five-year Plan. To my mind this is one of the most important items on the agenda. Here is what I wrote about it in a consultation email to Bronze members:
Your comments seem to have found widespread favour when members are canvassed. I hope appropriate questions will be asked when the Five-year plan is discussed, and not just by "the usual suspects".
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:55 pm

Sorry Nick but are you implying on the eve of the election that there is no longer a Nexus but we have to find out "who is Kaiser Soze?"

I'll put buy a pint up to a stein for the danger of live reporting.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:20 pm

Nick Grey wrote:it will be nice if someone will. I'll buy them a pint the next time I see them.
I was relying on John before his retirement.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:10 pm

David Robertson wrote: Did Angus French publish his statement outlining his fitness to be member of the Governance Ctte? Possibly I missed it.
Is that an election or an appointment? Please forgive a beginner who is not immersed in these things.