Candidates confirmed

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Andrew Zigmond
Posts: 1719
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:23 pm
Location: Harrogate

Re: Candidates confirmed

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:35 pm

Now we have the nominations the next point of interest will be the publication of the election addresses. With regard to the comments above I agree that how active a candidate is in active play has no relevance to what they can offer at board level; there are many reasons why individuals don't play frequently and some of these may be beyond their control (ie work).

What will be interesting is whether a certain offensive statement which has cast a shadow over this (fairly successful) year will be withdrawn.
Last edited by Andrew Zigmond on Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Mike Truran
Posts: 2391
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Candidates confirmed

Post by Mike Truran » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:40 pm

I was asking how much and how often they take part in competitive play.
I know you were, and I was asking why you think that's so relevant for an NED.

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 18153
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: Candidates confirmed

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:43 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:I agree that how active a candidate is in active play has no relevance to what they can offer at board level
Not that I have a vote, but I feel reluctant to support candidates who prioritise being members of "Boards of Directors" over playing, organising or arbiting.

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 18153
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: Candidates confirmed

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:47 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote: What will be interesting is whether a certain offensive statement which has cast a shadow over this (fairly successful) year will be withdrawn.
Are you thinking of the material presented in support of the aborted bid for a challenge to the Finance Director? I have no view on whether it is correct or otherwise, but it's at least on paper mildly defamatory.

Andrew Zigmond
Posts: 1719
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:23 pm
Location: Harrogate

Re: Candidates confirmed

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:48 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Andrew Zigmond wrote:I agree that how active a candidate is in active play has no relevance to what they can offer at board level
Not that I have a vote, but I feel reluctant to support candidates who prioritise being members of "Boards of Directors" over playing, organising or arbiting.
Well surely somebody has to prioritise being a board member over these things or every board position would be vacant! As it is, from an earlier post one of the candidates MAY be involved as a parent and in any case we don't know what their background in organisation is. All will become clearer when the addresses are published.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Mike Truran
Posts: 2391
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Candidates confirmed

Post by Mike Truran » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:49 pm

Not that I have a vote, but I feel reluctant to support candidates who prioritise being members of "Boards of Directors" over playing, organising or arbiting.
Well , what a good thing that you don't have a vote if that's the only basis on which you're willing to judge a candidate's capabilities.

Andrew Zigmond
Posts: 1719
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:23 pm
Location: Harrogate

Re: Candidates confirmed

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:52 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Andrew Zigmond wrote: What will be interesting is whether a certain offensive statement which has cast a shadow over this (fairly successful) year will be withdrawn.
Are you thinking of the material presented in support of the aborted bid for a challenge to the Finance Director? I have no view on whether it is correct or otherwise, but it's at least on paper mildly defamatory.
I haven't seen this so couldn't comment. I was referring to an insulting comment made by one of the candidates for non executive director last year on the now defunct official forum which has been repeated many times since.

EDIT - error corrected
Last edited by Andrew Zigmond on Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 18153
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: Candidates confirmed

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:56 pm

Mike Truran wrote: I know you were, and I was asking why you think that's so relevant for an NED.
It's a suspicion of those who prioritise attendance at meetings over actually playing that they seek to impose requirements over participants that they will never suffer themselves.

It's a theme from the Pearce report, but to what extent if at all, are the most active players in the country represented in any way at all on the ECF Board, or for that matter amongst the voting membership on the ECF Council?

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 18153
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: Candidates confirmed

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:59 pm

Mike Truran wrote: Well , what a good thing that you don't have a vote if that's the only basis on which you're willing to judge a candidate's capabilities.

I take it you are totally opposed to granting the paying membership any say in the election of Directors?

Mike Truran
Posts: 2391
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Candidates confirmed

Post by Mike Truran » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:04 am

Your suspicion maybe - but then you always think the worst of people.

No doubt your question is rhetorical. But as I don't believe that being an active player particularly qualifies one for being on the Board (or indeed for anything much other than playing a lot of games), to my mind your question has no particular relevance.
I take it you are totally opposed to granting the paying membership any say in the election of Directors?
Absolutely not - but again, being who you are you're hardly likely to believe me.

PeterFarr
Posts: 590
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:20 pm
Location: Horsham, Sussex

Re: Candidates confirmed

Post by PeterFarr » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:27 am

On paper I've been the strongest player in my very small club for several years. If I left, the club would carry on without a hitch.

If the guys that run things, but don't play much, or quite so well, leave, then the club will fold.

Who would you rather have?

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 18153
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: Candidates confirmed

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:46 am

PeterFarr wrote:If the guys that run things, but don't play much, or quite so well, leave, then the club will fold.
At a local level, the conflict between players and meeting attendees has been played out on the adjudication/adjournment v "on the night" finish issues. Where players, particularly stronger ones have turned up in enough force at meetings, the "on the night" finish option has usually prevailed.

Andrew Zigmond
Posts: 1719
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:23 pm
Location: Harrogate

Re: Candidates confirmed

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:39 am

Roger de Coverly wrote: At a local level, the conflict between players and meeting attendees has been played out on the adjudication/adjournment v "on the night" finish issues. Where players, particularly stronger ones have turned up in enough force at meetings, the "on the night" finish option has usually prevailed.
Any organisation, whether it is the board of the national body or the committee of a small town club, can only fill positions with those people who are willing to stand for them. If stronger players feel they should be better represented at all levels there seems to be a fairly obvious solution.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

LawrenceCooper
Posts: 5089
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Re: Candidates confirmed

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:58 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
unknown Durham student (Mate of Alex H?)
Peter Hornsby, nominated by the Cambridgeshire County Chess Association, Middlesex County Chess Association, and Phil Ehr, past Chief Executive.

A mate of Alex H being nominated by Phil Ehr would be an unexpected twist following last year's events :shock:

Neill Cooper
Posts: 1240
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:43 pm
Location: Croydon
Contact:

Re: Candidates confirmed

Post by Neill Cooper » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:17 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:unknown Durham student (Mate of Alex H?)
Not quite unknown to this forum: http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7927
More recently http://2020chess.com/

Post Reply