Candidates confirmed

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Andrew Zigmond

Candidates confirmed

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:17 pm

It looks like I might be the first to share this breaking news.

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/candidat ... more-37795

With the exception of the candidates for non executive director there is nothing really of interest, let alone anything worth raising eyebrows over.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Roger de Coverly

Re: Candidates confirmed

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:37 pm

Candidates for the two Non-Executive Directors
Julie Denning (incumbent)
John Foley, nominated by Malcolm Pein, Director
Peter Hornsby, nominated by the Cambridgeshire County Chess Association, Middlesex County Chess Association, and Phil Ehr, past Chief Executive
Stephen Woodhouse, nominated by Julian Clissold and Julie Denning, Directors
I wouldn't have thought the AGM voters would want both Alex H and John Foley on the same Board unless they wanted to promote discord.

I hadn't encountered or heard of either of the other two candidates.

Here's their grading history, which shows what they bring in terms of chess playing experience.

Peter Hornsby
http://ecfgrading.org.uk/new/menu.php?f ... de=252625G

Stephen Woodhouse
http://ecfgrading.org.uk/new/menu.php?f ... de=127046B

(edit) to correct grading reference (/edit)
Last edited by Roger de Coverly on Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:56 pm

Stephen's current grade is 157. I think you may have posted the same link twice?

I disagree with your comment about Alex's and John's ability to work together, but would very much prefer it if my disagreement didn't kick off another round of post-mortems (or is it post-mortes?).

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:16 pm

If their grades were closer to say ECF275 would that make them better candidates in your eyes?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:42 pm

John Upham wrote: If their grades were closer to say ECF275 would that make them better candidates in your eyes?
It was rather more the point that they appear to have played as much chess in a lifetime as Brendan O'Gorman and others play in a couple of months. Whatever their other qualities, they aren't bring to the ECF Board their vast experience of club, league, tournament and International chess.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:46 pm

and what positions are they candidates for?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:53 pm

John Upham wrote:and what positions are they candidates for?
They are candidates for Non-Executive Directors of the ECF. Is not being not that interested in chess to the extent of not playing, arbiting or organising very much a suitable qualification? Perhaps it is, provided the ECF stays in the background.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:09 pm

It's probably not as suitable a qualification for a non-exec role as being able to bring things like impartial judgement and wide business experience outside chess to the party. Ideally "having at least 25% independent non-executive board members bringing knowledge and experience from outside the sport or activity" is desirable according to the Sports and Recreation Alliance's Voluntary Code of Good Governance.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:30 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote: Is not being not that interested in chess
It is possible to be "interested in chess" (whatever that means?) without playing loads of graded / rated games, arbiting or organising?

If you meet someone who claims to be interested in chess would you immediately look up their grade, find none and then let them know what they are telling you cannot be true?

Simon Brown

Post by Simon Brown » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:54 pm

I don't know John or Peter and I met Julie for the first time about 10 days ago. But I knew Stephen Woodhouse when he played for Hampstead many years ago. He is a lawyer, ex-Slaughter & May if I recall, very sensible, completely reliable, no mean player and a thoroughly nice chap. With his experience he strikes me as ideal for NED, and if he is coming back to chess after a few years away, then so much the better. Combining a professional job and a family life with 50+ games a year isn't possible. But I would say that.

He would get my vote, if I had one.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:21 pm

John Upham wrote: If you meet someone who claims to be interested in chess would you immediately look up their grade, find none and then let them know what they are telling you cannot be true?
I would be cautious about electing someone to the governing body of English chess who didn't appear interested in the product. One of the candidates has now been outed as a returning player, which seems apparent enough from his grading history.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:03 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
John Upham wrote: If their grades were closer to say ECF275 would that make them better candidates in your eyes?
It was rather more the point that they appear to have played as much chess in a lifetime as Brendan O'Gorman and others play in a couple of months. Whatever their other qualities, they aren't bring to the ECF Board their vast experience of club, league, tournament and International chess.
Stephen is returning to regular chess after a long break now that his son is playing tournaments. They are regulars at the junior 4NCL and have also played a few 4NCL weekends at Telford last season.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:18 pm

I would be cautious about electing someone to the governing body of English chess who didn't appear interested in the product
The Board isn't the governing body of English chess. Council is.

You can repeat the same point using different words if you like, but most people who actually know anything about it would agree that the most important requirements of a good NED are those that I have described above. Moreover, where do you get the idea that they aren't 'interested in the product''? They would hardly have stood for election if that were the case.

If you reply, please feel free to address both points in my final paragraph.

David Shepherd

Post by David Shepherd » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:45 pm

John Upham wrote:If you meet someone who claims to be interested in chess would you immediately look up their grade, find none and then let them know what they are telling you cannot be true?
I would probably google their name together with the word chess, the search for Stephen for example includes http://www.pettfranklin.com/team/stephe ... 9BqiCNTGUk, which would to me suggest he is a strong candidate (assuming the link is to the correct person). Also you can do a similar search for Peter and see he is actively involved in chess. Unfortunately there is only a limited number of non exec roles, but hopeful the skills of any unsuccessful candidates can be utilised by the ECF in some way. (Also similar searches could be done for Julie & John but I suspect they are more familiar names).

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:33 pm

Mike Truran wrote:Moreover, where do you get the idea that they aren't 'interested in the product''? They would hardly have stood for election if that were the case.
If the product is attending meetings, then that's what they are volunteering for. I was asking how much and how often they take part in competitive play.

Summing up the non-exec candidates

Incumbent and long standing organiser
Malcolm/CSC representative
Returning player/ chess parent/ retired legal
unknown Durham student (Mate of Alex H?)