Candidates confirmed

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Angus French

Re: Candidates confirmed

Post by Angus French » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:01 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Andrew Zigmond wrote: It appeared on the main page of the ECF website so there wasn't really anything to it.
Thanks. Now that it has dropped off the main page, can it be found via the menu?
If you're without the link to a news story you can try to navigate to it by:
- Using the 'Older posts >>' link (bottom right on the home page and on each other news page) to go the previous set of news stories;
- Using the 'News by month' dropdown list (just below top right on the home page and on each other news page); or,
- Using the Search facility (just below top left on the home page and on each other news page).

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:02 pm

Wasn't the ECF main site going for a complete redesign it that still happening?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:31 pm

Work in progress - still on the to do list.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:12 pm

It is a bit off topic here, but if the ECF website is to be redesigned (again), can the old material please be retained this time. One of the things that annoyed me most about the previous redesign was the way links to old news items stopped working. The material contained in the old news postings may have been lost altogether (and please don't point me to internet archive sites, the ECF is an active organisation and shouldn't 'lose' its own history in this way).

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:55 am

Simon Brown wrote:I don't know John or Peter and I met Julie for the first time about 10 days ago. But I knew Stephen Woodhouse when he played for Hampstead many years ago. He is a lawyer, ex-Slaughter & May if I recall, very sensible, completely reliable, no mean player and a thoroughly nice chap. With his experience he strikes me as ideal for NED, and if he is coming back to chess after a few years away, then so much the better. Combining a professional job and a family life with 50+ games a year isn't possible. But I would say that.

He would get my vote, if I had one.
He'll be getting the MCF votes, as will Julie :D
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:26 am

Mick Norris wrote:
I'm assuming most members of Council will want Julie to continue her work which effectively makes it a three horse race for the second position. If I had a personal vote I might be inclining towards Peter Hornsby, partly because the younger chess player is poorly represented at the top levels (Alex H aside) but mainly due to his Yorkshire and Durham connections - the ECF remains a little too South centred for my liking.

That said if Stephen Woodhouse is picking up support, I don't want a vote split between him and Peter allowing John Foley back on the board, particularly as the `Controller Arbiter Nexus` insult has yet to be withdrawn and apologised for.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:35 am

Andrew Zigmond wrote: That said if Stephen Woodhouse is picking up support, I don't want a vote split between him and Peter allowing John Foley back on the board, particularly as the `Controller Arbiter Nexus` insult has yet to be withdrawn and apologised for.
I'd suspect that others will share the view that it wasn't really acceptable to criticise Alex for BCF decisions over the National Club made twenty years ago, not least when they were triggered by John himself, myself and other club officials of that era who declined to continue their club's entries to the National Club with the 4NCL offering a then new attractive alternative for top class weekend play.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:20 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Andrew Zigmond wrote: That said if Stephen Woodhouse is picking up support, I don't want a vote split between him and Peter allowing John Foley back on the board, particularly as the `Controller Arbiter Nexus` insult has yet to be withdrawn and apologised for.
I'd suspect that others will share the view that it wasn't really acceptable to criticise Alex for BCF decisions over the National Club made twenty years ago, not least when they were triggered by John himself, myself and other club officials of that era who declined to continue their club's entries to the National Club with the 4NCL offering a then new attractive alternative for top class weekend play.
For the sake of fairness John Foley did accept that the decline of the National Club began before Alex was born and praised the changed format as a `masterstroke` (I think - the evidence was on the other forum). There was a division over what direction the new National Club could take.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:35 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote: For the sake of fairness John Foley did accept that the decline of the National Club began before Alex was born and praised the changed format as a `masterstroke`
I'm not sure I see the appeal of a residential competition offering four games at a relatively fast move rate if the alternative is 4NCL or a normal weekend Congress. To judge from the entries, nor do many others outside the clubs in the immediate area of the event. It's possible 4NCL squads might have been prepared to put up teams for a "weekend 6", but they were specifically barred from entering, as were County based squads.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:53 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Mick Norris wrote:
I'm assuming most members of Council will want Julie to continue her work which effectively makes it a three horse race for the second position. If I had a personal vote I might be inclining towards Peter Hornsby, partly because the younger chess player is poorly represented at the top levels (Alex H aside) but mainly due to his Yorkshire and Durham connections - the ECF remains a little too South centred for my liking.

That said if Stephen Woodhouse is picking up support, I don't want a vote split between him and Peter allowing John Foley back on the board, particularly as the `Controller Arbiter Nexus` insult has yet to be withdrawn and apologised for.
Stephen is from Worcs, so not too South :wink:

As I have told Peter, I think Stephen is better qualified for this position, but I hope that Peter can find a non-Board role within (or helping) the ECF
Any postings on here represent my personal views