ECF October 2016 – Minutes of AGM

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Paul Cooksey

ECF October 2016 – Minutes of AGM

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:00 pm

Does anyone know when the minutes are typically available?

I read the ECF elections thread and was a bit baffled by the contradictory reports.

Mike Truran

Re: ECF October 2016 – Minutes of AGM

Post by Mike Truran » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:11 pm

From the Procedural Bye Laws:

5.2 A draft set of Minutes, approved by the Chairman of the Meeting, shall be published on the ECF Web Site within 6 weeks of the closure of the Meeting.

Which isn't to say that we always achieve it. :oops:

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:42 pm

Thanks MIke. So end of November. I'll wait for the LCC to start before I start campaigning for resignations! :twisted:

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:44 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:Does anyone know when the minutes are typically available?

I read the ECF elections thread and was a bit baffled by the contradictory reports.
There is a big hole this year. Firstly. John Philpott wasn't available to post updates during the meeting and secondly neither was Richard Haddrell able to post his regular report of ECF meeting on his website.

We have been spoiled by these two public spirited individuals' willing to keep us all informed. Waiting six weeks for the board to post the official minutes is far too long to publicise decisions taken that will have an immediate effect.

I can't see why a provisional set of minutes couldn't be made available within a week or so.

Incidentally, the website http://www.sccu.ndo.co.uk which Richard had created and maintained since 1998 is not owned by SCCU although it had been adopted as its official website. The site will close when its current subscription lapses - I don't know exactly when.

The entire website, however, has been preserved as the archive of the new SCCU County Championship website: http://www.sccu-chess.com/archive

The beauty of Richard's simple approach to website design is that it is easily transportable as a self contained and working entity.

I've only taken on one of Richard's roles (SCCU webmaster) and that in itself is a hard act to follow.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:12 pm

Michael Flatt wrote: There is a big hole this year. Firstly. John Philpott wasn't available to post updates during the meeting and secondly neither was Richard Haddrell able to post his regular report of ECF meeting on his website.
Ben Edgell's regular comprehensive report hasn't been available either.
http://www.chessit.co.uk/phpforum/viewt ... ?f=5&t=291 for the April 2016 edition.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:29 pm

Michael Flatt wrote:
Incidentally, the website http://www.sccu.ndo.co.uk which Richard had created and maintained since 1998 is not owned by SCCU although it had been adopted as its official website. The site will close when its current subscription lapses - I don't know exactly when.
ndo.co.uk:

Relevant dates:
Registered on: 01-Jun-1998
Expiry date: 01-Jun-2018
Last updated: 18-Apr-2016

However, what is less easily discoverable is when the hosting fee requires renewal. That will terminate matters regardless of the domain expiry date.

It is excellent that all of the content is archived.

The earliest archive I could find was from a snapshot taken on June 20th 2000 here: http://web.archive.org/web/200006202127 ... ndo.co.uk/

I presume you have earlier content.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:38 pm

John Upham wrote: I presume you have earlier content.
Richard had his own system of archiving. Every year, usually around the start of September, he would take a complete copy of the live site as it then stood and freeze it permanently. Internal links usually continued to work.

Here's the site at the end of its first year.

http://www.sccu.ndo.co.uk/9899/index.htm

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:18 pm

John Upham wrote: ndo.co.uk:

Relevant dates:
Registered on: 01-Jun-1998
Expiry date: 01-Jun-2018
Last updated: 18-Apr-2016

However, what is less easily discoverable is when the hosting fee requires renewal. That will terminate matters regardless of the domain expiry date.

It is excellent that all of the content is archived.

The earliest archive I could find was from a snapshot taken on June 20th 2000 here: http://web.archive.org/web/200006202127 ... ndo.co.uk/

I presume you have earlier content.
Richard's site is actually a subdomain of ndo.co.uk (NetDirect Internet Ltd) one of the first companies to offer hosting in the UK. NDO acted as the registrar for the subdomains which it hosted. SCCU do not have invoices relating to the hosting since Richard paid the hosting fees himself. With the passage of time and takovers the current Hosting Company is names.co.uk (Namesco Limited).

All snapshot archives on Richard's site are available on the new site. The earliest corresponding to the one identified by RdC is http://sccu-chess.com/archive/9899/index.htm.

Everything on the original site is available in the new archive. The earlier years of Richard's SCCU Bulletin were never put on his site but they could be if anyone has copies which can be scanned. Richard would have done it himself but was worried about how much space they might take up.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:55 pm

I do know that Michael Farthing will be sending out a report to the silver members, but I also know Ben edgell always does a report

John and Richard is a big loss, but I hope that other people will be able to do updates etc
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:21 pm

Yes, I will. Sorry it's a bit stalled at the moment.

Julie Denning

Post by Julie Denning » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:46 pm

I've now written up some notes on the meeting that I expect Michael Flatt will put on the SCCU website shortly. Always intended to maintain the tradition of Richard Haddrell, albeit not in his inimitable style, but had to take it's place amongst a load of other tasks.

My notes from the meeting were not extensive, so there's probably a few things I've missed or glossed over (or got wrong!) that the official Minutes will add to or correct in due course. Also, tried to write them from the perspective of SCCU not as a Director.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:18 am

Julie's report has now appeared http://www.sccu.ndo.co.uk/bcf.htm and makes for interesting reading.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:37 am

It ends

rjh 31.10.15. Please say if you find errors.

I suspect this is one of them, as is

We have not tried to be exhaustive. Ben Edgell has much detail on the EC Forum.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:45 am

JustinHorton wrote:It ends

rjh 31.10.15. Please say if you find errors.

I suspect this is one of them, as is

We have not tried to be exhaustive. Ben Edgell has much detail on the EC Forum.
That's the 2015 AGM at the bottom, the 2016 AGM is at the top
Any postings on here represent my personal views

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:07 am

Ah, I am a halfwit. Please carry on without me.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com