ECF Company Secretary

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Michael Flatt

ECF Company Secretary

Post by Michael Flatt » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:54 pm

I would hope that all members of the ECF are concerned that the post of Company Secretary remains vacant several months after the announced retirement and unexpected death of the previous incumbent.

I would hope that the Board consider that making an appointment to this post is of greater urgency and importance than the recently opened consultation on the allocation of voting rights at Counsel. It should the Board's number one priority.

Andrew Zigmond

Re: ECF Company Secretary

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:13 pm

The most recent set of minutes notes that some of the previous Company Secretary's responsibilities have been absorbed by the office and the new Chair of Council, leaving the Company Secretary role to consist of `standard secretarial functions`. A volunteer was reported as having come forward and would be approached. The next board meeting isn't scheduled until a week today (Monday 30th January) so it is possible that an appointment will be confirmed and announced then.

Choosing my words carefully, has the CEO been approached on this matter?
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:31 pm

Matters are in hand to engage a third party provider for the company secretary role. The post of Voting Register Officer will most likely be filled internally.

I'm not quite sure why Michael couldn't have emailed David Eustace or me directly, or used the Ask The Directors facility, rather than posting on the forum as his first resort. I did PM him on another matter to suggest that as a better approach, but didn't even receive the courtesy of a reply from him.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:07 pm

Mike Truran wrote:Matters are in hand to engage a third party provider for the company secretary role. The post of Voting Register Officer will most likely be filled internally.

I'm not quite sure why Michael couldn't have emailed David Eustace or me directly, or used the Ask The Directors facility, rather than posting on the forum as his first resort. I did PM him on another matter to suggest that as a better approach, but didn't even receive the courtesy of a reply from him.
Thank you for the reply. Given that the post has remained vacant for some time I thought it a worthy question to be raised in public.
I would hope the individual taking on the role will have been appointed before the Finance Meeting in April.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:43 pm

The post of Company Secterary is no longer a legal requirement. I only known that 'cos John posted that info here.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:51 am

Michael, most members are not concerned. I was more concerned that the Essex U180 team were not as strong as usual but clearly John is most missed on his other roles & that was to step down from organisation & play a bit more chess, more music & steel panther etc. Hopefully cakes etc in Essex matches can come up to the luxury standard we have been used too. I feel that my own county fall a little short in comparison.

I'd rather pick up on one of your roles SCCU County stage organiser with the previous incombent retiring too.

I agree with Mike's post.

Bob Kane

Post by Bob Kane » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:58 am

When the ECFs articles were last amended ( Oct 16 ) the requirement for a Co Secretary still existed. for a company formed before 2006 It must be specifically removed by amendment of the articles . (appt part is quoted below from website) ) So as Michael Flatt points out the matter is of some concern if indeed the ECF are in breach of the companies acts..

SECRETARY

72. Subject to Section 16(6) of the Act, the Secretary shall be appointed by the Board for such term at such remuneration and upon such conditions as the Board may think fit; and any Secretary so appointed may be removed by it.

73. A provision of the Act or these Articles requiring or authorising a thing to be done by a Director and the Secretary shall not be satisfied by its being done by or to the same person acting both as a Director and as, or in place of the Secretary.