Game fee to be abolished?

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Nick Grey

Re: Game fee to be abolished?

Post by Nick Grey » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:30 pm

I'm assuming that the rapidplay issue will apply to a rapidplay internal club event, & standard play to a standard play event.
That may mean 3 free fees for the event on players. That is providing the event is submitted for grading. It is confusing if 0.5 as that means 6

Many clubs use these for lower graded or ungraded players to get a grade & experience of games under the adult time controls we usually play. Many have rapidplay tournaments or internal - 2 games each evening

Perhaps it is a question to be asked to clarify?

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:58 am

Angus French wrote:I was particularly interested in internal club rapidplay events (which aren't really congresses).
I now see:
Proposed new Bye Law No. 2 wrote:4.5.3 The Game Fee payable by an organisation in respect of every player in a league or internal club competition who is not a Direct Member shall be £25 for each such adult player and £12 for each such junior player who has played four or more standard play games in the relevant league or competition during the season to which the submission applies, and will be waived for each player who has played fewer than four standard play games during that period. For the purposes of this clause two rapidplay games shall be counted as equivalent to a single standard play game.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:18 pm

So essentially, if you want to get games graded for new players and not lose money, you get them to join the ECF.

Maybe Roger was right all along. :twisted:

(To be fair, if the new player plays lots of games, this acts as a cap on the fee that is chargeable.)

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:27 pm

Ah, I think the proposal is good for new club members who aren't ECF members: it would (at least in my reading) allow them to play for free in graded internal club competitions which are six-round rapidplays.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:28 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:So essentially, if you want to get games graded for new players and not lose money, you get them to join the ECF.
Compulsory membership and new players don't mix. Hence the need to dilute the "must be a member" principle by the give-aways of free first year membership for junior players and the first 3 (or 6) club based games. I don't suppose the cost of these give-aways is recorded.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:50 pm

Angus French wrote: play for free in graded internal club competitions which are six-round rapidplays.
It is less than 4 standard play games. Doesn't that equate to less than 8 Rapid games so you can have a 7-round rapidplay rather than just a 6-rounder.

Always happy to confuse the discussion :D

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:25 pm

Alex McFarlane wrote:
Angus French wrote: play for free in graded internal club competitions which are six-round rapidplays.
It is less than 4 standard play games. Doesn't that equate to less than 8 Rapid games so you can have a 7-round rapidplay rather than just a 6-rounder.

Always happy to confuse the discussion :D
True!

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:41 pm

As you cannot have 3.5 games it is 6. Less than 4 is 3. Looks like a puzzle to get juniors thinking before going into a lesson.

It is a nice proposal & I'm presuming if goes through effective this season so comes with the invoices in September.

I suspect the calculation process is harder but hopefully the analysis is OK & less of them.

Will also help for anyone joining a club on 31st May to get 3 or 6 in a month if club opens once a week!

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:20 am

Nick Grey wrote:It is a nice proposal & I'm presuming if goes through effective this season so comes with the invoices in September.
I assumed that it would not be back dated, and so first apply for 2017/18 season. Can someone confirm?

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:33 pm

Yes, at the Finance Council we are always fixing things for the next season, starting in September.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:28 pm

Mike - thanks for the clarification. So we have £2.50 game fee which we will get in October 2017.
Can see why ECF current board do not think things are moving fast enough.
Anyway of fast tracking good ideas?
I should imagine we are out of Europe by the time this proposal if goes through is implemented.

Thanks to all at ECF for all their work over the last year(s).