ECF Finance Council Meeting April 2017

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
David Robertson
Posts: 2264
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:24 pm
Contact:

Re: ECF Finance Council Meeting April 2017

Post by David Robertson » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:23 pm

I've refrained from commenting on the GC voting reform proposals; and I didn't vote today. Instead I preferred to let Nature take its course; water to find its own level; Finance Council to stick a paw in the air.

And what seems to have occurred, seems to me quite wise. The GC proposals were, frankly, poor. Finance Council appears, after a fashion, to agree. Nothing has adequately convinced it, and further thought must now be given to voting reform. Good! Might I advise that, when the GC next addresses the matter, it establishes, first, what principles and outcomes any reforms seek to satisfy before tinkering with the current arrangements.

And for starters, the GC might want to remind itself that, today, 200 votes were cast by 20 people on behalf of 10,000.

Mick Norris
Posts: 8278
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester

Re: ECF Finance Council Meeting April 2017

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:50 pm

benedgell wrote:We got cookies and chocolate milk during the break. Glad I gave up my Saturday now.
Ben, we appreciate you and the others who did so

I had a very pleasant afternoon at Gigg Lane instead; I'd like to think John Philpott would have approved
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 19080
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: ECF Finance Council Meeting April 2017

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:55 pm

David Robertson wrote:Might I advise that, when the GC next addresses the matter, it establishes, first, what principles and outcomes any reforms seek to satisfy before tinkering with the current arrangements.
Were not today's proposals those of the Board, rather than the GC? I rather thought Angus French made that observation, when he stepped down.

User avatar
Carl Hibbard
Posts: 5851
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 pm
Location: Evesham

Re: ECF Finance Council Meeting April 2017

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:18 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
benedgell wrote:We got cookies and chocolate milk during the break. Glad I gave up my Saturday now.
Ben, we appreciate you and the others who did so

I had a very pleasant afternoon at Gigg Lane instead; I'd like to think John Philpott would have approved
Going to take a few years to replace John and Richard but I doubt that one is even possible.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John Reyes
Posts: 461
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:51 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: ECF Finance Council Meeting April 2017

Post by John Reyes » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:22 pm

I noticed that richard left some money for the ECF

How much has he left to the ECF and also where is that money going to be used for?
Any postings on here represent my personal views only

User avatar
Carl Hibbard
Posts: 5851
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 pm
Location: Evesham

Re: ECF Finance Council Meeting April 2017

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:31 pm

John Reyes wrote:I noticed that richard left some money for the ECF

How much has he left to the ECF and also where is that money going to be used for?
Let us hope it's more junior focused rather than the Malcolm international agenda.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

David Robertson
Posts: 2264
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:24 pm
Contact:

Re: ECF Finance Council Meeting April 2017

Post by David Robertson » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:40 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
David Robertson wrote:Might I advise that, when the GC next addresses the matter, it establishes, first, what principles and outcomes any reforms seek to satisfy before tinkering with the current arrangements.
Were not today's proposals those of the Board, rather than the GC? I rather thought Angus French made that observation, when he stepped down.
Probably, maybe, whatever. They began somewhere; went somewhere; ended nowhere

User avatar
Michael Farthing
Posts: 1961
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:28 pm
Location: Morecambe, Europe

Re: ECF Finance Council Meeting April 2017

Post by Michael Farthing » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:18 pm

..and I didn't even get the cookies. First I knew about it was reading it on here :-(

benedgell
Posts: 1257
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:43 pm
Location: Somerset
Contact:

Re: ECF Finance Council Meeting April 2017

Post by benedgell » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:01 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
John Reyes wrote:I noticed that richard left some money for the ECF

How much has he left to the ECF and also where is that money going to be used for?
Let us hope it's more junior focused rather than the Malcolm international agenda.
The bequest is going to be in the region of £400k, which is a huge amount Richard has left to benefit English chess, and is going to the Chess Trust (the charitable part of the ECF).

benedgell
Posts: 1257
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:43 pm
Location: Somerset
Contact:

Re: ECF Finance Council Meeting April 2017

Post by benedgell » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:02 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:..and I didn't even get the cookies. First I knew about it was reading it on here :-(
Did you get the chocolate milk? ;)

benedgell
Posts: 1257
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:43 pm
Location: Somerset
Contact:

Re: ECF Finance Council Meeting April 2017

Post by benedgell » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:09 pm

The ECF is planning to publish voting records at future meetings. It was suggested doing it for the ONOV vote, but as the suggestion was made after the votes were cast today it was decided to leave it until the next meeting.

For whatever its worth, 2 votes for option 1, 1 vote for option 2, 7 for option 3, 23 for no change was how my votes were cast on OMOV. I'll give specifically which votes were cast for which in my report.

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 19080
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: ECF Finance Council Meeting April 2017

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:01 am

Carl Hibbard wrote: Let us hope it's more junior focused rather than the Malcolm international agenda.
The Chess Trust was the outcome of the ECF's ambition to turn itself into a charity. Becoming a charity of itself proved impossible as there was no means of disentangling the ECF's involvement with and support of professional players through the British Championship and International teams etc.

From the link
http://www.chesstrust.org.uk/
The Chess Trust has been established with the support of the English Chess Federation for the furtherance of chess. The Trust has the capacity to support a wide range of activities in its furtherance of the game. Its objectives are:
• The advancement of amateur sport by promoting the study and practice of chess in all its forms, principally, but not exclusively, for the benefit of the residents of England; and
• The advancement of education by promoting the development of young people through the teaching and practice of chess
As a statement of objectives it's somewhat vague, but I expect that's intentional, to retain maximum flexibility whilst taking advantage of the tax concessions available to charities. The slightly odd phrase "advancement of amateur sport" sounds as if taken directly from the rules and regulations governing charitable status.

Paul Cooksey
Posts: 732
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:15 pm

Re: ECF Finance Council Meeting April 2017

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:20 am

So, the ECF Board have got their financial plan through with almost no dissent from Council?

IanCalvert
Posts: 231
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:59 pm

Re: ECF Finance Council Meeting April 2017

Post by IanCalvert » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:54 am

"The Directors acknowledge the concern that the existing constitutional arrangements do not adequately reflect the interests
of Direct Members".

Twenty Council members block change... Maybe Chris Fegan will come up with a cunning plan!

Andrew Zigmond
Posts: 1821
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:23 pm
Location: Harrogate

Re: ECF Finance Council Meeting April 2017

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:51 am

It would be interesting to hear from somebody who was at the meeting as to who spoke against the voting reform proposals and what arguments they put forward. I would be particularly interested to know whether the point that the ECF is now mainly funded by direct members was put to them and what the counter argument was.

I'm disappointed by the outcome although hopefully some progress can be made.
benedgell wrote:The ECF is planning to publish voting records at future meetings. It was suggested doing it for the ONOV vote, but as the suggestion was made after the votes were cast today it was decided to leave it until the next meeting.
I thought that under the ECF bye laws the voting records had to be kept secret. Phil Ehr did put forward a proposal to change this (at the 2016 Finance Council I think) but it was talked out and I wasn't aware that it had been put forward again. I'm pleased voting records will be published as these are essential for accountability.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Post Reply