ECF Finance Council Meeting April 2017

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Michael Flatt

Re: ECF Finance Council Meeting April 2017

Post by Michael Flatt » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:03 am

Angus French wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Angus French wrote: As I said, I think it would be helpful if the Board explained its decision.
I'd expect they got shouted at by junior organisers when they realised how much more money the ECF was expecting them to collect from their target participants.
Maybe so. Though if that's the case shouldn't the junior organisers have expressed their view before or at the Finance Council meeting in April?
The arbitrary increase in Junior fees introduced at the Finance Meeting was not subject to any prior consultation and I suggest that it came as a complete surprise to organisers of junior events.

The parents I speak to just don't understand ECF membership and grading fees. The tiers of membership are artificial and complicated. Children want to play in competitions and the parents who pay the entry fees generally aren't aware of the ECF, what it does, and the costs associated with it.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:39 pm

"The parents I speak to just don't understand ECF membership and grading fees. The tiers of membership are artificial and complicated. Children want to play in competitions and the parents who pay the entry fees generally aren't aware of the ECF, what it does, and the costs associated with it."

True - I also suspect that a large number of junior organizers just get on with it and don't involve ECF or take any notice of it.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:04 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
The parents I speak to just don't understand ECF membership and grading fees. The tiers of membership are artificial and complicated. Children want to play in competitions and the parents who pay the entry fees generally aren't aware of the ECF, what it does, and the costs associated with it.
True - I also suspect that a large number of junior organizers just get on with it and don't involve ECF or take any notice of it.
Today, I was assisting at a combined training day and tournament day Junior event, In theory, it could have been graded (at least those games where clocks were used), but it wasn't.

There must be many similar events being held around the country, but they don't register on the ECF's radar. If these tournaments were graded, the children would be disappointed to have to wait up to 6 months for their grade to be published.

I can see why organisers, such as Adam Raoof, are running FIDE rated events. Regular tournament players, I believe, are better served by monthly lists or even live grades as used in Yorkshire.