ECF Finance Council Meeting April 2017

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Julie Denning

Re: ECF Finance Council Meeting April 2017

Post by Julie Denning » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:06 pm

Andrew Walker wrote:Julie - you said ---
'Although it doesn't seem to have been put up on the ECF website yet, I understand this is (yet another) task that Gary Willson is handling at least for the time being' --- if you're referring to the proxy votes, notices of attendance etc. then, just as the last many and several meetings, it's me, not Gary.
[email protected]
Andrew Walker

Andrew,

Thanks for the clarification. I thought I recalled it mentioned at a Board meeting that Gary had stepped in as VRO, but you'll note that since my post you referred to I posted a fuller clarification on Gary's behalf.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:10 pm

Rather late in the day I've asked Gary and Andrew at the ECF Office to send a message on my behalf to Bronze members. A copy of the message is available here. I would welcome feedback.

Bob Kane

Post by Bob Kane » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:49 pm

Angus ,
Well done for actually making the effort to contact the your (bronze) members.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:43 pm

Bob Kane wrote:Angus ,
Well done for actually making the effort to contact the your (bronze) members.
Silver members have also received a substantial communication from Michael and John.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:48 pm

What about Gold members?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:00 am

Mick Norris wrote:What about Gold members?
This one hasn't received anything.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:03 am

Not a sausage.

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:33 am

I'm proxying for one of the Gold Members reps. When I act as proxy I feel its the responsibility of the original representative to contact the people they represent and inform me how they'd like me to use their vote(s), so I haven't spoken to any Gold Members directly outside of Devon/ Somerset/ Bristol.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:36 am

Hmmm. Well if a silver rep coudn't attend then the proxy vote would go to the other silver rep.

Chris Fegan

Post by Chris Fegan » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:38 am

benedgell wrote:I'm proxying for one of the Gold Members reps. When I act as proxy I feel its the responsibility of the original representative to contact the people they represent and inform me how they'd like me to use their vote(s), so I haven't spoken to any Gold Members directly outside of Devon/ Somerset/ Bristol.

More evidence of how the current system is a complete travesty and totally busted beyond any defending

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:50 am

benedgell wrote:I'm proxying for one of the Gold Members reps. When I act as proxy I feel its the responsibility of the original representative to contact the people they represent and inform me how they'd like me to use their vote(s), so I haven't spoken to any Gold Members directly outside of Devon/ Somerset/ Bristol.
I agree with that Ben, and thanks for standing in as proxy

Neither Gold rep has contacted us Gold members though; it isn't clear to me why you would put yourself forward for the post, and not consult, but it is a problem for those of us seeking more votes for Direct Member reps
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:53 am

For the avoidance of doubt, Ben, my post was not intended as a critcism of you for accepting the proxy and I have always had the greatest respect for your integrity in handling your votes.

Chris Fegan

Post by Chris Fegan » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:00 am

Michael Farthing wrote:For the avoidance of doubt, Ben, my post was not intended as a critcism of you for accepting the proxy and I have always had the greatest respect for your integrity in handling your votes.
Michael

The system is busted and the fact that one person, (whoever they may be) carries and accumulates votes after votes after votes for many, many organisations and year after year after year is a clear sign of that the ECF Council system is a total stitch up and is beyond any defending-it needs to be changed but those who benefit by it love the status quo.

It is a total disgrace and an affront to democracy but no doubt the "block voters" who have spent years and years accumulating votes and thus power to themselves will block any meaningful change next Saturday

Chris

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:22 am

Chris,

Your views are strongly held and no one can doubt that. However, the stridency with which they are presented does not, I believe, help your case.

While I wish to see changes in Council (and not just in terms of direct member representation) I prefer a more evolutionary approach. The responses we receive from silver members suggest that they share this view (decidedly, I might add) which leaves me in the happy position of being able to vote the way I have been instructed with the satisfaction that at the same time I am voting for what I believe to be best.

I am concerned that the real fear for the future of the ECF that some of these proposals has raised may leave us at the end with no change at all and the frankly insulting situation of a continuing token sop to direct members.

Chris Fegan

Post by Chris Fegan » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:30 am

Michael Farthing wrote:Chris,

Your views are strongly held and no one can doubt that. However, the stridency with which they are presented does not, I believe, help your case.

While I wish to see changes in Council (and not just in terms of direct member representation) I prefer a more evolutionary approach. The responses we receive from silver members suggest that they share this view (decidedly, I might add) which leaves me in the happy position of being able to vote the way I have been instructed with the satisfaction that at the same time I am voting for what I believe to be best.

I am concerned that the real fear for the future of the ECF that some of these proposals has raised may leave us at the end with no change at all and the frankly insulting situation of a continuing token sop to direct members.
Michael

Two points in response

1) I do not believe in the "evolutionary approach"-if that had been the case in other areas, I probably would still be waiting to vote in more serious elections-electoral change comes by agitation and power is very,very rarely if ever give up freely. The "evolutionary approach" is the one always taken to avoid any real and meaningful change in voting representation.

2) It is frankly irrelevant how "I put my case",strident or otherwise, because those who control the votes and thus the power in the ECF are NEVER going to give it up, however "nicely" I put the case and they have made that abundantly clear to me on a one to one basis many time over the last 4 years.

Chris