Game Fee

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Michael Farthing

Re: Game Fee

Post by Michael Farthing » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:09 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:34 pm
Michael Farthing wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:29 pm
Well of course both clubs and leagues will often submit both standard play and rapidplay games.
I stand corrected. I have not come across any.
Curious that! But I suppose no more curious than my surprise when I read that there are still places where adjournment, and even adjudication, are both used and fiercely defended. The magical variety of life..

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:10 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:34 pm
Michael Farthing wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:29 pm
Well of course both clubs and leagues will often submit both standard play and rapidplay games.
I stand corrected. I have not come across any.
The Croydon & District Chess League, in which you and I play, has both Standardplay and Rapidplay competitions. Surrey County Chess Association also has both.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:23 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:10 pm
Surrey County Chess Association also has both.
I'm sure you are correct, but should I know about that? I am a Surrey player
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:25 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:23 pm
David Sedgwick wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:10 pm
Surrey County Chess Association also has both.
I'm sure you are correct, but should I know about that? I am a Surrey player
If you, or anyone else, would like to know, go to the SCCA website at http://www.scca.co.uk, click on "Competitions" and then on "Stoneleigh Trophy".

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:44 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:00 am
I hadn't until very recently appreciated, and others may not have done, that - although ECF non-members can play 3 standard club/league/county games (or 7 rapidplay club/league/county games) free of charge - standard and rapidplay games are aggregated in deciding whether a charge is payable. So, for example, 2 standard games plus 4 rapidplay games is liable to result in an invoice.
7 rapidplay games would incur a charge according to the information on the ECF website - it says the first 3 standard play, or 6 rapidplay, games in a league are free of charge.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:51 pm

Ian - copy and paste from ECF website:

"Posted By: WebAdmin 7th June 2018

"This is just a reminder to Leagues and Clubs that any ECF non-member playing four or more standard play games in 2017/18 (or eight or more rapid play games) in that League or Club will incur a fee of £16 in respect of grading those games. That fee will be charged to the League or Club submitting the results, not to the player. And if the player has such results from more than one League or Club the fee will be applied to each: a player whose League submitted 4+ results and whose Club also submitted 4+ results would generate bills totalling £16 x 2.

"The way to avoid these costs is to arrange ECF membership, starting at £16 (£15 online) for Bronze membership. The absolute deadline for this for 2017/18 will be Saturday 30th June online, or the previous day if a player needs to contact the office. Membership will cover all League and Club games for 2017/18.

"Full details of joining or re-joining can be found under at https://www.englishchess.org.uk/ or over the telephone on 01424 775222 (Monday to Friday, 9:30am to 4:30pm)

"League or Club officers needing clarification of the rules and procedures – and we accept that in some cases they are a bit more complex than we have set out above – should email [email protected]"

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:33 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:44 pm
Roger Lancaster wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:00 am
I hadn't until very recently appreciated, and others may not have done, that - although ECF non-members can play 3 standard club/league/county games (or 7 rapidplay club/league/county games) free of charge - standard and rapidplay games are aggregated in deciding whether a charge is payable. So, for example, 2 standard games plus 4 rapidplay games is liable to result in an invoice.
7 rapidplay games would incur a charge according to the information on the ECF website - it says the first 3 standard play, or 6 rapidplay, games in a league are free of charge.
The question of 7 or 8 rapid games was actually specifically discussed in Council and there had been some confusion as one document said "more than three standard games" and another said "at least four standard games" [or some such very similar difference]. It was pointed out that this left 3 and a half standard games (ie 7 rapidplays) in limbo. The Board clearly affirmed the intention that charging would begin at 8 rapidplay.