Nominations for the 2017 elections at the AGM

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
John Reyes

Nominations for the 2017 elections at the AGM

Post by John Reyes » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:38 pm

Nominations are invited for the positions detailed below, which will be the subject of elections to be held at the Annual General Meeting on 14 October 2017.

Members of the Board
Director of Finance; One Non-Executive Director; Director of Home Chess; Director of Membership

Other elected posts
Chairman of the Council; FIDE Delegate; Members of the Finance Committee (this Committee has no fixed size); Members of the Governance Committee (this Committee has no fixed size)

do we know who is standing?
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Roger de Coverly

Re: Nominations for the 2017 elections at the AGM

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:32 pm

John Reyes wrote: do we know who is standing?
It's believed all the existing post holders are standing for re-election. As to whether there are any challenges, that remains to be seen.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:33 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:It's believed all the existing post holders are standing for re-election. As to whether there are any challenges, that remains to be seen.
So, which Non-executive Director is it who will be seeking re-election? Really I think this should have been declared as it could affect who else stands for the position. The same is true for the members of the governance and finance committees seeking re-election.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:39 pm

It should, of course, be remembered that ECF Directorships are now held for three years and that one third of the Board retire in rotation.

That important fact isn't given in the announcement on the ECF website: http://www.englishchess.org.uk/nominati ... t-the-agm/

Any potential candidate for a particular post would want to know whether the incumbent is seeking re-election or not.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:00 am

Angus French wrote: So, which Non-executive Director is it who will be seeking re-election? Really I think this should have been declared as it could affect who else stands for the position.
I think it's the least recently "elected for the first time", which I believe is Julie Denning.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:09 am

Michael Flatt wrote:It should, of course, be remembered that ECF Directorships are now held for three years and that one third of the Board retire in rotation.

That important fact isn't given in the announcement on the ECF website: http://www.englishchess.org.uk/nominati ... t-the-agm/

Yes it is.

From the announcement:

"As a result of changes to the Articles approved by the April 2016 Finance Council meeting, a three-year cycle for elections to the Board and Standing Committees has been introduced. A rota indicating which of the positions will fall due for re-election in 2017, 2018 and 2019 respectively appears at the end of Regulation No. 2."

Julie Denning

Post by Julie Denning » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:00 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Angus French wrote: So, which Non-executive Director is it who will be seeking re-election? Really I think this should have been declared as it could affect who else stands for the position.
I think it's the least recently "elected for the first time", which I believe is Julie Denning.
Correct.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:42 pm

Angus French wrote:[ The same is true for the members of the governance and finance committees seeking re-election.
The standing committees have no fixed size so anybody who feels they might have something to contribute is welcome to stand. The intentions of an incumbent coming to the end of their three year term is irrelevant; they either retire and stand for another three years.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:42 am

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Angus French wrote:The same is true for the members of the governance and finance committees seeking re-election.
The standing committees have no fixed size so anybody who feels they might have something to contribute is welcome to stand.
True.

Umm, I've just checked the ECF's Articles and Regulation No. 2 (The Directors and Officers Responsibilities Regulations) to see what they say about election of committee members. It seems to me there is a conflict between the two documents. As I read them, the Articles - specifically Article 17 (business transacted at AGMs) - provide for *annual election* of members of the committees including the chairmen. Whereas the Regulation provides for three year terms.
ECF Article 17 wrote:.
(6) The Council shall appoint members of two Standing Committees in accordance with the provisions of this Article 17(6):

(a) A Finance Committee, of which the President shall be a member ex officio, which shall regularly review the financial affairs of the Company and offer such advice as it may deem appropriate. Members of the Finance Committee shall have access on a privileged and confidential basis to all the financial records of the Company. The Council shall elect the Chairman of the Finance Committee (who shall have access on a privileged and confidential basis to all Board papers) and shall elect or appoint such other persons as it sees fit to the Finance Committee.

(b) A Governance Committee, of which the President shall be a member ex officio, which shall advise the Board and Council on the governance of the Company and in particular on the texts of Bye Laws and Regulations made, added to, altered and repealed pursuant to Article 85. The Council shall elect the Chairman of the Governance Committee (who shall have access on a privileged and confidential basis to all Board papers) and shall elect or appoint such other persons as it sees fit to the Governance Committee.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:22 am

I wonder if there going to be an amendment at the meeting?

Also I wonder when the list of nominations will be out?
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Robert Stern

Post by Robert Stern » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:01 pm

Articles 17 (6) (a) and (b) are to be read in conjunction with Article 17 (6) (e) which imposes a three year rotation cycle.