Peter Hornsby for ECF : Tomorrow's Candidate Today!

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Roger de Coverly

Re: Peter Hornsby for ECF : Tomorrow's Candidate Today!

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:03 pm

Mick Norris wrote: I think Peter would be a valuable addition to the ECF
Could he not be the controller of the ECF's Facebook content, in a similar manner to Phil Makepeace who covers twitter?

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:04 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Andrew Zigmond wrote:Even if you take the most negative assessment of Peter's campaign so far his track record is impossible to attack - almost everything he does is geared around attracting new players to the game and increasing the player base. That is certainly not be to rejected out of hand.
As I said last year and again this, I think Peter would be a valuable addition to the ECF, just not in the specific role of NED
Which takes me back to the point I've now made three times on this thread, what role within the ECF would be suitable for Peter? Given his track record in making chess happen he deserves better than to be stuck in an administrative role dealing with complaints about the application of eligibility rules.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Peter Hornsby

Post by Peter Hornsby » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:24 pm

I don't think we should start lamenting the lack of women in Chess if I was elected. A third of those who have helped run 2020/NUCC in significant roles are women. After I took over Chess soc president at Durham participation with women increased dramatically (from zero upwards) so much so one joined the exec a year later and another went on to set up another university chess society, and both joined 2020/NUCC. It wasn't much longer until Durham elected their first female Chess soc president, and in January they were able to send an all-women's side to the 2020 Yorkshire Qualifier. I'm currently working at a predominantly all-girls school where I'm successfully helping to set up a Chess society, we had 12 people for the first session this year so it’s something we are hoping to build on.

I'm by no means going to take credit for this (that should go to those who put themselves forward and participate, my thanks again to them), however these events would shatter any negative perception my potential election would have amongst the electorate on the grounds of gender.
And by the way I’m certainly not ‘campaigning only on Facebook’, whilst I have set up a page there and attempted to do a live broadcast (both of which are accessible to everyone) to spread awareness, I’ve posted on here as well as sent out countless emails. On this thread I have gone to lengths expressing the virtues Facebook can have with the Chess world, but that’s a separate issue.

I have also gone to lengths (perhaps boring some to tears understandably!) about the experience I have in the Chess world (if people want to see my CV going beyond that message me and I’ll email it across) as well as promoting my youth to tap into a different demographic. It’s all very well saying that I’m not suitable for this position, but which position on the board is? I’m not going to reveal their names but several fantastic organizers my age were considering running this time but chose not to because there was nothing there for them, and they knew I was running for this NED post.

Based upon what I’ve achieved so far (with getting others on board), I’m confident I can apply myself to the role to the electorate’s satisfaction and beyond in this position. As I said I always do what’s best for English Chess and would step aside immediately if things didn’t go to plan, I would have much to lose by doing anything else.

I’m fully aware of the nature of this year’s voting compared to last, but why should that deter me from running again? I believe that:

1. If you don’t succeed you try again
2. Every position in elections should be contested regardless of performance for a healthy democracy
3. I could be an asset to the ECF board and be successful in the NED position

Now those beliefs might be considered as ‘wrong’ by some but they are what they are, not running would go against what I stand for.
Founder and Director of 2020 Chess
www.2020chess.com

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:46 pm

Peter Hornsby wrote:It’s all very well saying that I’m not suitable for this position, but which position on the board is?
Director of Home Chess is the obvious one.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:59 pm

Peter Hornsby wrote:It’s all very well saying that I’m not suitable for this position, but which position on the board is?
Does this mean that any role which did not come with a seat on the Board would not be considered?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:57 pm

In view of Peter's clear passion and success in promoting chess in Universities, should he not seek to work with the British Universities' Chess Association (BUCA) so that there is a single, unified organisation for University Chess providing multiple opportunities each year for Inter-University Chess?

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:50 pm

Err well he did sort of - until his personal chess activities led to withdrawal.

I would anyway be backing Julie, but not following through things undertaken does not help your standing, Peter.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:37 pm

Neill Cooper wrote:In view of Peter's clear passion and success in promoting chess in Universities, should he not seek to work with the British Universities' Chess Association (BUCA) so that there is a single, unified organisation for University Chess providing multiple opportunities each year for Inter-University Chess?
Well, 2020 Chess is now aiming at more than just Universities. Indeed, I know several local clubs played in the Birmingham event, that were nothing to do with Universities.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:41 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mick Norris wrote: I think Peter would be a valuable addition to the ECF
Could he not be the controller of the ECF's Facebook content, in a similar manner to Phil Makepeace who covers twitter?
Phil M's title on the ECF website when I looked was - Social Media Manager.

Peter Hornsby

Post by Peter Hornsby » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:25 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:Err well he did sort of - until his personal chess activities led to withdrawal.

I would anyway be backing Julie, but not following through things undertaken does not help your standing, Peter.
Michael: I did not 'undertake' anything so I don't know what you are talking about. If Alex agrees I'm more than happy to release the email chain I had with him which would prove my point.

Nick: This is a hypothetical question that I can't engage with as I don't know what role you are referring to, and I haven't been offered it.

Neill: As explained by Alex 2020 is a different 'ball game' as we have schools and clubs and alumni teams taking part in it as well as universities.
www.2020chess.com

Peter Hornsby

Post by Peter Hornsby » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:27 pm

Hi everyone,

I'd just like to reiterate my thanks to those who engaged with my campaign, whether it be through the very kind nominations enabling me to stand, constructive criticism or general comments of help and support, it was really appreciated and was a fantastic experience for me at the AGM. I really look forward to continuing with our endeavors for English Chess and beyond.

Peter
www.2020chess.com

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:02 am

Locked as per Peter's request.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard