2017 AGM - Message to Bronze members

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Angus French

2017 AGM - Message to Bronze members

Post by Angus French » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:54 am

Please see here for the message to Bronze members which I have just now asked the ECF Office to distribute. I am sorry that the message is sent at very short notice. I would be grateful for feedback from Bronze members - and from anyone else.

John McKenna

Re: 2017 AGM - Message to Bronze members

Post by John McKenna » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:46 pm

Angus, thanks for the, above, link.

I read the contents and, although I am gold not bronze, I'd just say that I appreciate your efforts and hope that other direct-members reps vote along the same, or similar, lines as you propose to do on the three main items in your statement - 1. For - the re-election of ALL officers; 2.For - the proposed voting reform; 3. Against - the Board strategy statement.

If the gold reps, or those who cast their vote(s), cannot ( for their own reasons) vote the same as you then I hope they'll abstain.

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:20 pm

From the world of men. Sometimes I am wrong. But not often. Happy Days. Let’s block the strategy that aims to increase chess activity and encourage diversity; that plans for long-term financial security; states “our biggest asset is our membership”; and identifies the need to actively promote chess among women and girls. The chauvinistic Platinum’s argued last year that encouraging more women to play chess discriminated against men. Do the right thing. Nice trousers.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:46 am

David Gilbert wrote:From the world of men. Sometimes I am wrong. But not often. Happy Days. Let’s block the strategy that aims to increase chess activity and encourage diversity; that plans for long-term financial security; states “our biggest asset is our membership”; and identifies the need to actively promote chess among women and girls. The chauvinistic Platinum’s argued last year that encouraging more women to play chess discriminated against men. Do the right thing. Nice trousers.
Well, you might ask what happens if the strategy statement is referred back to the Board (as it was last year)? The ECF just continues as it thinks best (and in line with the budget approved in April), doesn't it? That wouldn't preclude the things David mentions unless Council specifically directs otherwise.

What I wrote in the message to Bronze members was:
Message to Bronze members wrote:• I was critical of the last version of the statement (presented for approval to last year’s AGM) and wrote: “ the statement seems to me to be a list of goals rather than strategy per se. There isn’t analysis of where the ECF is or a plan for getting from where it is to where it wants to be. Without the discipline of analysis and planning, can you be sure you’re headed in the right direction?”. The same criticism applies to the new version of the statement.
• The previous version of the statement had a headline goal “Seek to understand and meet the requirements of our members and increase the perceived added value that the ECF provides to its members”. This has disappeared and, inexplicably (at least in my view) there’s no equivalent that I can see of the first part. I would like to see the ECF survey its members and former members to ask them what they think of the ECF and what they want out of the ECF.
The older strategy statements were much better because they did analyse and plan. Now all we have is a list of goals without backup detail.

I too believe that "our biggest asset is our membership" (that's why I'm a members' rep) but let's see the ECF do something to demonstrate that: hence my second point.

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:49 am

The revised document includes two statements that are relevant to your second point.

“We will encourage a culture where we actively invite comment and feedback.”

“We want stronger partnerships with chess players and chess organisations, and so will continue to develop communications across a range of platforms and seek greater engagement with members to help shape our policies and plans.”

The statement you refer to "Seek to understand and meet the requirements of our members and increase the perceived added value that the ECF provides to its members”. Is still there in the Business Statement as a specific objective of the Home Director.

I know it's not perfect, but , frankly, if Council is going to vote down a strategy and business plan that includes the ambition to promote chess for all and particularly women and girls, that presses for greater diversity, that seeks to put the ECF on a firm financial footing, that encourages the involvement of members at all levels, that aims to develop talent and generate commercial sponsorship, then it might as well give up on any form of strategic planning. I don't think the Board will even bother to try again.