ECF Agm 2017

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
David Gilbert

Re: ECF Agm 2017

Post by David Gilbert » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:08 am

The point being made was that a Welsh registered player, with English Silver membership, has to pay £1.50 rating fee for playing in an English FIDE rated event, while the English Silver member has to pay £10.50 to up-grade to Gold membership. Of course, a Welsh player wouldn't even need English Silver Membership and could just play for the £1.50 rating fee. The speaker thought this was unfair on English players. I suppose the position is reversed for English players playing in FIDE rated events in Wales (except for the ECF organised British).

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:17 am

David Gilbert wrote:The point being made was that a Welsh registered player, with English Silver membership, has to pay £1.50 rating fee for playing in an English FIDE rated event, while the English Silver member has to pay £10.50 to up-grade to Gold membership.
I don't think the Welsh player has to pay anything at all as the rating fee is a liability of the organiser if the Federation charges it back. It's a relatively well known dodge that non-English players don't need Gold membership.

Are English FIDE rated Congress organisers presented with a bill by the ECF for rating fees?

Julie Denning

Post by Julie Denning » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:53 am

I note that the thread opened by Peter Hornsby has been locked, so I can't post my thoughts there.

I had no forewarning that he was going to withdraw his candidature yesterday. As I said straightaway, I regarded him as a strong and impressive candidate right from the time he presented himself last year. I absolutely agree with a point he made yesterday that in a democracy it is good for there to be contested elections. I add my wishes that he can become involved with the ECF in a meaningful way to utilise his undoubted enthusiasm and skills - and one day very likely in a position of greater significance than an NED.

Gerry_Jepps

Post by Gerry_Jepps » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:25 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:

Are English FIDE rated Congress organisers presented with a bill by the ECF for rating fees?
Yes, although for English-registered players that cost is included in Gold membership or the £10.50 pay-to-play fee.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:17 pm

benedgell wrote:I'll post how I voted later, but most of my votes were abstained on practically everything
Thanks Ben for the summary, and look forward to reading your full report in due course; and thanks to you and all those who gave up their Saturday to attend the meeting
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:51 pm

benedgell wrote: The proposed Mindsports Centre in London hasn't really made much progress. The money set aside for the feasability study has been used.
Posting partly to second Mick's comments and also for a clarification.

The money for the feasibility study - has been used for the study or something else?

I have a memory of a report of some kind being published but I'm not sure if that was the study you reference or not.

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:31 am

The money has been used for the study.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:04 am

Michael and me will be sending a report out soon,

but this is my personal views

I feel that the meeting went well and that the time of finished was good.
there was some good discussed and I feel that the DOM and DOHC managed to answer the question to them. (either thou that one of them was Passover to the DOM from the DOHC lol)
Also it was good to hear that the Ecf will used Peter and they did said that it was their fault that they did not used him right for the ecf

the only down side was the number there, but also I had a little disagree with one of my rep that look after one of the league that i play in, as i sent a motion asking for the rep and my league to support the direct members vote. anyway the chat went like this

Me: hi there how are you
Rep: did not look at me and said what
me: i was wonder that did you received my email that i sent to the league rep and you to support the Direct members vote
Rep: i sent you back a reply one hour later back to you and you should really look at your email's
me: i have look at my email, but i will see again, anyway how are you
rep: it better you get away from me as I'm not in the mood to speak to you

just feel this rep was an bit childish and also show that he did not want to be there and spent most of the meeting on his phone and only pipe up where there was a few question about the motions

Also i did double check that i was not going mad, and email 2 of the league people to double checked.

Also this was the same rep who left the meeting in 2015 AGM in London and put his votes in at 4pm to watch the Rugby match and then lied to me in front of my face at our league fixture meeting telling me he was there the whole time
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:48 pm

The anecdotal last part of your report (thanks for posting the report) makes for an interesting comparison with another infinitely bigger rift..

G. Man. leaving Lancs. all those years ago was a like a mini-Brexit - a 'chexit' (chess org. exit) obviously the Lancs. equivalent of J.C.Junker & Co. will never forgive the loss of the city and its surrounds to a breakaway upstart chess org.

Unlike Chancellor Hammond, who felt he had apologise after "branding Brussels 'the enemy' in Brexit talks". No such apology will be given to you.

You are simply expected to unconditionally surrender and return to the fold.

The same 'them v. us" cold war mentality may exist for years if the UK is forced by the EU power brokers to walk away without a deal.

After all, in such bigger v. smaller scenarios it's usually not "deal or no deal", but the bigger party's deal, or no deal.

Look what's recently happened in Spain v. Catalonia.

(And, what going to happen in Iraq v. Kurdistan - the first shots having just been fired in Kirkuk.)

I'm straying too far towards "Not Chess" so I'll shut up and go grab a bite.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:31 pm

John McKenna wrote:The anecdotal last part of your report (thanks for posting the report) makes for an interesting comparison with another infinitely bigger rift..

G. Man. leaving Lancs. all those years ago was a like a mini-Brexit - a 'chexit' (chess org. exit) obviously the Lancs. equivalent of J.C.Junker & Co. will never forgive the loss of the city and its surrounds to a breakaway upstart chess org.

Unlike Chancellor Hammond, who felt he had apologise after "branding Brussels 'the enemy' in Brexit talks". No such apology will be given to you.

You are simply expected to unconditionally surrender and return to the fold.

The same 'them v. us" cold war mentality may exist for years if the UK is forced by the EU power brokers to walk away without a deal.

After all, in such bigger v. smaller scenarios it's usually not "deal or no deal", but the bigger party's deal, or no deal.

Look what's recently happened in Spain v. Catalonia.

(And, what going to happen in Iraq v. Kurdistan - the first shots having just been fired in Kirkuk.)

I'm straying too far towards "Not Chess" so I'll shut up and go grab a bite.
the Lancashire vs G man will never be fixed unless the County championship rules get fixed?
I always here bill saying that we are the only team in the ECf that got all there teams in the county championship, but the teams in the South has a better number of teams playing in all the sections of the county events and till an proposal is put in place, then the northern team would have a easy ride to the national stages!!

I would like to see an regional event with 3 or 4 team in a group, (12 boards, top of the group go though to the national Q-final and the team that finished 2nd could pay a nominee fee to play in the last 8

on the chat with my rep, he was an non ex director and he think that he is above everyone else!

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:22 pm

benedgell wrote:The money has been used for the study.
Thanks. And thanks to John for his post too.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:01 am

John Reyes wrote: on the chat with my rep, he was an non ex director and he think that he is above everyone else!
The solution is in your own hands, or that of the other clubs or players in the league. You just select "someone else" as the League's "Representative Member". If it's who I think you mean, he has about half a dozen other hats he can wear to attend ECF Council meetings.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:40 pm

any news on the votes?

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:59 am

Any postings on here represent my personal views

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:11 pm

Mick Norris wrote:ECF Summary
PLATINUM MEMBERSHIP PAPER
Council confirmed that it would like Platinum membership to remain in its current form; the proposal in the paper was accordingly amended such that the Board would investigate tax-efficient ways of raising funds for the Chess Trust.
It appears the proposal for a restructuring of Platinum membership was rejected.

There's also something on membership in the most recent published board minutes from September.
The Board agreed to recommend to Finance Council junior membership rates of £5 for Junior Bronze and Silver, £17 for Junior Gold. The first year Free Junior Silver would be retained.
It was further agreed that we should improve the marketing and communication of junior membership, and to facilitate and support the submission of results for grading from organisations who do not currently do so.

AP115/05
DT to make proposals to Finance Council concerning a reduction in the rates of Junior Membership Fees
as part of the financial budget process.
In my view, what the ECF has to decide is how much it wants to extract financially from junior organisations and how much from junior players competing in events open to all ages.