Page 1 of 1

'Update your ECF Contact Information' email

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:50 am
by Angus French
Anyone else received an email with subject line 'Update your ECF Contact Information'?

The text of the email says 'You have a new document shared with you via Dropbox' and provides a link which I won't be clicking.

Re: 'Update your ECF Contact Information' email

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:09 am
by Alex Holowczak
The first the Office appeared to know of this was when I phoned them, just. Did you really not think of e-mailing the ECF Office about it?

It is indeed spam, and I asked Andrew to put a notice on the ECF website accordingly.

Re: 'Update your ECF Contact Information' email

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:21 am
by NickFaulks
Alex Holowczak wrote: ↑
Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:09 am
Did you really not think of e-mailing the ECF Office about it?
I think Angus's post was a perfectly good use of this forum.

Re: 'Update your ECF Contact Information' email

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:31 am
by Alex Holowczak
NickFaulks wrote: ↑
Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:21 am
Alex Holowczak wrote: ↑
Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:09 am
Did you really not think of e-mailing the ECF Office about it?
I think Angus's post was a perfectly good use of this forum.
But why not also e-mail the ECF Office?

Re: 'Update your ECF Contact Information' email

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:53 am
by LawrenceCooper

Re: 'Update your ECF Contact Information' email

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:53 am
by Angus French
Alex Holowczak wrote: ↑
Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:09 am
The first the Office appeared to know of this was when I phoned them, just. Did you really not think of e-mailing the ECF Office about it?
No I didn't. My first thoughts were: who else has received the email and what email distribution list was the sender using?

Re: 'Update your ECF Contact Information' email

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:29 am
by Michael Flatt
Angus French wrote: ↑
Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:53 am
Alex Holowczak wrote: ↑
Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:09 am
The first the Office appeared to know of this was when I phoned them, just. Did you really not think of e-mailing the ECF Office about it?
No I didn't. My first thoughts were: who else has received the email and what email distribution list was the sender using?
That's a good question. Does the spammer have a copy of the ECF members email details?
If so, where did they get it?

I haven't subscribed to the ECF newsletter and didn't receive the Mike Dixon spam.

Re: 'Update your ECF Contact Information' email

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:32 am
by Roger de Coverly
Michael Flatt wrote: ↑
Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:29 am
Does the spammer have a copy of the ECF members email details?
I would suspect something narrower, perhaps a Council members list. I haven't received it although I am on the regular distribution list.

Re: 'Update your ECF Contact Information' email

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:26 pm
by Christopher Kreuzer
I think I got something similar (I remember "ECF" and "Dropbox" before deleting it, though the use of "ECF" did make me pause and check it wasn't genuine - it wasn't as the links and email addresses were to a different domain). But this was a while ago. Like a month ago? Did anyone get anything around that time?

Re: 'Update your ECF Contact Information' email

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:41 pm
by Paul Habershon
Anyway it's encouraging that an ECF matter has arisen after a gap stretching back to Nov. 3rd.

Re: 'Update your ECF Contact Information' email

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:53 pm
by Christopher Kreuzer
Apparently, the lawyers representing the producers of Spam (which is a registered trademark) discourage people using pictures of the product in association with 'spam' (the email variety). Just thought the ECF web people might want to know that...

(Though and However)

Re: 'Update your ECF Contact Information' email

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:54 pm
by Carl Hibbard
How this was possible is the question has the system been hacked?

Re: 'Update your ECF Contact Information' email

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:25 am
by Roger Lancaster
Christopher Kreuzer wrote: ↑
Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:26 pm
I think I got something similar (I remember "ECF" and "Dropbox" before deleting it, though the use of "ECF" did make me pause and check it wasn't genuine - it wasn't as the links and email addresses were to a different domain). But this was a while ago. Like a month ago? Did anyone get anything around that time?
Similar recollection here, a month or two ago, although I haven't had anything of this type more recently.

Re: 'Update your ECF Contact Information' email

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:12 pm
by Nick Grey
Worried by the e-mail until I saw the ECF site. To be fair the office was closing for Christmas.
Then got an e-mail from someone who used to play for a Surrey Club.
Not great that some of the less professional sites can be apparently hacked.
I try to do all my business with ECF over the phone because of these reasons.
Well wouldn't you if your bankers could have their files hacked etc and get some dodgy financial transactions to which it took more than 6 months for them to admit liability and refund.
I must admit I hate any organisations that seek my name, address and date of birth. Not learning anything about cyber theft.