Membership requirements for British Championship events

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Alex Holowczak

Re: Membership requirements for British Championship events

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:55 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:17 pm
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:22 pm
If, as alleged, the Indian Federation awarded new GMs a house, arguably the ECF could stretch to offering GMs free life membership.
Offering to pay for the titles when achieved would be more helpful in the short term.
I proposed a motion to the Board recently that this should happen for arbiters (FA, IA) and organisers (IO), which was passed. None of the Board's arbiters voted. I declined to put player and trainer titles in the proposals, because neither of those areas of responsibility fall under my Directorship. If the relevant Directors wanted to make equivalent proposals for players ((W)FM, (W)IM, (W)GM) and/or trainers, then I for one would vote for it.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:13 pm

"I proposed a motion to the Board recently that this should happen for arbiters (FA, IA) and organisers (IO), which was passed. None of the Board's arbiters voted. I declined to put player and trainer titles in the proposals, because neither of those areas of responsibility fall under my Directorship. If the relevant Directors wanted to make equivalent proposals for players ((W)FM, (W)IM, (W)GM) and/or trainers, then I for one would vote for it."

Good.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:50 pm

Praveen Thipsay received free travel on trains in India for life, when he became the first Indian GM.
Pentala Harikrishna was given a house by, I believe, his state government. That was after I pointed out that he had fulfilled the GM requirements. Nobody in India knew the regulations. He was 15 years old.
If you represent India internationally in any sport, it helps you gain preferment in your career.

When FIDE started charging fees for titles, I recommend that the BCF pay for GM and IA titles. I was voted down. I was already an IA, so I didn't have to pay. I still believe that most ECF IAs have done so much for English chess, they should receive some recognition.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:58 pm

I see that the on-line entry for the 2018 British Championships and the entry form are now available.
https://www.britishchesschampionships.c ... 018-A4.pdf

It continues to state that you have to be a member of your National Federation (if not ENG) as well as be in possession of a FIN. The ECF has never properly acknowledged the existence of Federations that don't run individual membership schemes. How are such players expected to satisfy the ECF's requirement? It already asks for a FIN, why is this not sufficient?

Going back to the original question, what is the membership requirement for players eligible by residence to play in Championship events, but who remain FIDE registered with a non-British Federation?