Page 1 of 2
Invoice from ECF / Paul Buswell ?
Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:49 pm
by John Upham
The Treasurer of Hampshire Junior Congress has received an invoice by email regarding the Hampshire Junior Congress for
£142.50
The URL given looks very dodgy and I am going nowhere near it.
Here is the text of the message :
From: Paul Buswell <
[email protected]>
Date: 2 January 2018 at 16:09:12 GMT
To: Hampshire Junior Chess Congress <redacted>
Subject: Invoice INV-5581 from English Chess Federation for Hampshire Junior Chess Congress
Reply-To:
[email protected]
Invoice INV-5581 from English Chess Federation for Hampshire Junior Chess Congress
Hello
Here's invoice INV-5581 for £142.50.
The amount outstanding of £142.50 is due on 01 Feb 2018.
Payment can be made direct via the Paypal link on the invoice, by BACS using the bank details provided at the foot of the invoice, or by cheque to the ECF office.
View your bill online:
From your online bill you can print a PDF, export a CSV, or create a free login and view your outstanding bills.
If you have any questions, please let us know.
Thankyou,
English Chess Federation
01424 775222
Comments please !
Re: Invoice from ECF / Paul Buswell ?
Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:52 pm
by Michael Farthing
Err.. Why not just ring the ECF office?
Re: Invoice from ECF / Paul Buswell ?
Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:55 pm
by John Upham
Michael Farthing wrote: ↑Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:52 pm
Err.. Why not just ring the ECF office?
Are you impersonating Alex H. Micheal ?
I was hoping he would suggest that before anyone else.
John
Re: Invoice from ECF / Paul Buswell ?
Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:10 pm
by Michael Farthing
Well I have been rather speaking against him in another thread, so if I've helped him out here perhaps I can creep back into his good books

But you haven't actually explained why the office hasn't been contacted.
FWIW Paul Buswell is the name you might expect to see on a bill and the suggestion of sending a cheque to the ECF office doesn't seem a likely tactic from a fraudster (unless, of course, Paul himself is the fraudster, which strikes me as very out-of-character for him).
Re: Invoice from ECF / Paul Buswell ?
Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:24 pm
by IM Jack Rudd
I've clicked on the link. The resulting page looks absolutely fine and what you'd expect from a communication of that nature.
Re: Invoice from ECF / Paul Buswell ?
Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:32 pm
by Carl Hibbard
Xero is a well known online accounts package out of New Zealand we use it ourselves the rest I cannot comment on although posting the actual payment link isn’t cool.
Re: Invoice from ECF / Paul Buswell ?
Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:37 pm
by Michael Farthing
Oh I don't know Carl! Maybe someone will click on it and accidentally pay the bill for Hampshire. Fly move by John, I'd say.
Re: Invoice from ECF / Paul Buswell ?
Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:37 pm
by David Sedgwick
IM Jack Rudd wrote: ↑Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:24 pm
I've clicked on the link. The resulting page looks absolutely fine and what you'd expect from a communication of that nature.
Indeed so.
John Upham wrote: ↑Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:49 pm
Comments please !
You don't have to read the invoice if you don't wish to do so. The Congress Treasurer just needs to send a cheque for £142.50 to the ECF Office.
Re: Invoice from ECF / Paul Buswell ?
Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:38 pm
by Carl Hibbard
Michael Farthing wrote: ↑Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:37 pm
Oh I don't know Carl! Maybe someone will click on it and accidentally pay the bill for Hampshire. Fly move by John, I'd say.
Too late it’s gone even with this limited iPhone edit.
Re: Invoice from ECF / Paul Buswell ?
Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:40 pm
by Michael Farthing
Spoilsport!
Re: Invoice from ECF / Paul Buswell ?
Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:44 pm
by Carl Hibbard
John has some technical knowledge and should know better to be honest.
Re: Invoice from ECF / Paul Buswell ?
Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:38 pm
by Nick Grey
John if you put a grading file together you will have to give details of where the bill gets sent to. Make a call if you have to. The person who was sending bills out passed away some time ago.
Re: Invoice from ECF / Paul Buswell ?
Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:07 pm
by Roger Lancaster
Had similar experience with Paul, whom older contributors may remember from his BCF role, last year. It proved that the invoice we had been (via Hertfordshire CCA) sent was based on unreliable data over who was/was not an ECF member at a given point of time, and Paul was entirely receptive to legitimate information indicating it was largely incorrect - the invoice reduced to a nominal legitimate amount which Paul was happy to write off.
Re: Invoice from ECF / Paul Buswell ?
Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:48 pm
by Kevin Thurlow
" It proved that the invoice we had been (via Hertfordshire CCA) sent was based on unreliable data over who was/was not an ECF member at a given point of time, and Paul was entirely receptive to legitimate information indicating it was largely incorrect - the invoice reduced to a nominal legitimate amount which Paul was happy to write off."
I have recently had conversations with DWP and HMRC, where they sent me incorrect information, I provided proof of the correct info, and they said, "OK then". I assumed this was a tactic to save them work, and most people would just accept their version. Obviously, the ECF wouldn't do that!
Re: Invoice from ECF / Paul Buswell ?
Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:35 pm
by Michael Farthing
I think in fairness to the office it should be pointed out that over the last year there have been considerable gaps of knowledge as a result of the sudden death of John Philpott.