Controller, County Championships

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Julie Denning

Controller, County Championships

Post by Julie Denning » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:44 pm

As no one else seems to have picked up on this yet, I'll take the liberty of doing so.

The ECF website shows that a new Controller of the County Championships has been appointed. This is Mark Murrell. Mark, a solicitor by profession, is a keen participant in the Championships on behalf of Essex, being both their Open team captain and overall match captain. He also represents his county as their delegate to both ECF Council and the SCCU. In the latter capacity he is also the current Deputy President and anticipated to become President at this summer's AGM. Mark also heads up responsibility for safeguarding on behalf of both SCCU and Essex Chess Association.

I wish Mark every success in this additional role he is taking on and, at least to the extent that his authority as Controller permits, I'm very confident that the competition remains in safe hands.

Credit also to Alex Holowczak for making this appointment.

Nick Grey

Re: Controller, County Championships

Post by Nick Grey » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:34 pm

Fantastic news. Great decision.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:26 am

Well done to Mark for stepping in and removing the confusion resulting from the absence of a National Controller.
Mark can be contacted on matters related to the ECF County Championships at: [email protected]

His first act yesterday has been to inform Union Controllers of his appointment and indicating the date when nominations are required for this season's competition.

He has also confirmed dates for the fixtures although they haven't yet appeared on the relevant ECF web page.
28th April* Preliminary Round (if required)
12th May* Quarter Finals – Open, Minor Counties, U160 and U120
19th May* Quarter Finals – U180, U140 and U100
09th June* Semi Finals
07th July Finals

(*by mutual agreement matches can be played on the following Sunday or before the specified dates).

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:33 pm

well done
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well