No Andrew

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Paul Dargan

Re: No Andrew

Post by Paul Dargan » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:42 am

Wasn't it Fiona + Markus one year? At least Fiona knows people from 4NCL etc.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:35 pm

Peter is doubtless already aware that England U19s play South Africa at Scarborough early in the British... Yorkshire Vikings have a T20 match just before the British at Headingley, plus more during the event, including Lancashire on 9th August. I don't see how he can resist that.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:45 pm

I have not seen Fiona on chess24 recently. Seemed to be a few people moving at his time: https://en.chessbase.com/author/macauley-peterson

I though the original poster was pulling on the thread of whether chess24 still interested now Macauley - who used to talk about respecting the tradition of the British - has moved on. Maybe I read too much into it.

Andrew Martin

Post by Andrew Martin » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:37 pm

When we have so many very good British commentators, if the live commentary at the event is to be axed, to me this is a sad day.

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:08 pm

I guess that when looked at in purely financial terms a live commentary at the British may appear rather marginal. Of course I go to the British to play chess and do a bit of tourism (as well) but the live commentary is a large factor in why I return to the British, year after year. If you replace it by a remote broadcast from off site it just won't be the same and you will lose my entry fees as well as (perhaps) a large proportion of the entry fees of the other 50-60 people you find in the commentary room every afternoon.

I think the live commentary is a very important "loss-leader" for the British and you abandon it at your peil!

Andrew Martin

Post by Andrew Martin » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:56 pm

I’m also pretty clear in my mind that money from the British Championship budget should not be going to outside companies to produce a remote commentary , unless they can guarantee it will be exclusively British players who actually deliver the commentary.

Paul Dargan

Post by Paul Dargan » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:07 pm

Back in the days when junior events were in the morning ... and u could make some cash doing the demo boards in the afternoon ... i used to love the Pein/Lee commentary routines in the afternoon ... would be a shame to lose it altogether - but let's wait for an official answer from someone who knows ...

James Pratt

Post by James Pratt » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:33 pm

Well, ECF ... ?

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:35 pm

James Pratt wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:33 pm
Well, ECF ... ?
I would suggest either using the Ask The Directors facility or contacting the Manager of the British Championships. Although ECF board members do occasionally post here it is not an official communication channel.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Stephen Greep

Post by Stephen Greep » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:48 am

The Events and Social Programme 'brochure' is now on the British Championships web site. I've made this A4 format for ease of printing - but there will be a A5 printed version for everyone at the Championships. The only thing not on here is the menu for the Championship meal - but it will be accessible through the HDCA web site (hullchess.com) over the next couple of days. You may pre book most events through me at [email protected]

I appreciate there are other things we could do, but hopefully there is something in there for everyone. Some events are numbers restricted so please book early!

Please support this programme (as well as the Championships) which has been made possible though a very generous grant from Hull Culture and Leisure, HDCA Charitable Trust and the British Chess championships.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:16 pm

Stephen Greep wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:48 am
The Events and Social Programme 'brochure' is now on the British Championships web site.

There is a problem which may affect attendance. If you are playing in the afternoon, you may well have a long game. In other words you don't really know whether you can attend until shortly before the start time.

I had to miss the earlier Fischer film in Sheffield because I was still playing.