British Championship 2018

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Andy Stoker
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:23 pm

Re: British Championship

Post by Andy Stoker » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:14 pm

Adams 7.5 Jones 7 Howell 6.5 McShane 6.5 .... 'cos it's only a bit of fun

Jonathan Bryant
Posts: 3119
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: British Championship

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:45 pm

Richard Bates wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:38 pm
I think the removal of the tail ....
Not quite removed - there are still a number of entrants under and around 2000 elo - but the tournament field definitely looks much more balanced this year. The Major Open looks better too. These things are connected, obvs

Richard Bates
Posts: 2768
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:27 pm

Re: British Championship

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:51 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:45 pm
Richard Bates wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:38 pm
I think the removal of the tail ....
Not quite removed - there are still a number of entrants under and around 2000 elo - but the tournament field definitely looks much more balanced this year. The Major Open looks better too. These things are connected, obvs
Sorry, should have written the removal of the long tail...

Point is that the overall significantly lower numbers, and higher average strength of the field, has the practial effect of lowering the likely expected winning score. Worth considering that If he stays at or near the top of the tournament (ie. so plays most of the other top seeds) Adams will quite realistically hold his rating if he scores 6.5/9. Last year David Howell (just) lost rating points scoring 7/9.

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 17408
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: British Championship

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:04 am

Paul McKeown wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:54 pm
Sarah Longson's win today looked pretty exemplary against RdC today.
I would suggest you check 1990s theory and games played by Svidler against Shirov and Anand against Topalov. exd6 is rubbish as demonstrated in the game, Nd2 is just equal and pretty much dead because of the opposite Bishops.

Keith Arkell
Posts: 606
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:10 am

Re: British Championship

Post by Keith Arkell » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:18 am

[quote="Jonathan Rogers"

the fact that Adams is not in his most dominating form adds to the enjoyment
[/quote]

On the contrary, Mickey is in very good form. I know, because I'm playing good chess these days myself, played well for most of the game today, have a very reasonable score v him over a large number of games, but still he got the better of me.

Paul McKeown
Posts: 3198
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:01 pm
Location: Hayes (Middx)
Contact:

Re: British Championship

Post by Paul McKeown » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:25 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:04 am
Paul McKeown wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:54 pm
Sarah Longson's win today looked pretty exemplary against RdC today.
[...snip] exd6 is rubbish as demonstrated in the game, Nd2 is just equal and pretty much dead because of the opposite Bishops.
I think you are making my point for me.

Jonathan Rogers
Posts: 3658
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:26 pm

Re: British Championship

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:30 am

Keith Arkell wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:18 am
[quote="Jonathan Rogers"

the fact that Adams is not in his most dominating form adds to the enjoyment
On the contrary, Mickey is in very good form. I know, because I'm playing good chess these days myself, played well for most of the game today, have a very reasonable score v him over a large number of games, but still he got the better of me.
[/quote]

Fair enough.

As reward for your resistance, you may be a late entrant into "guess the winner", a game which, apparently unappreciated by many forumites, is in fact quite free to enter, and lots of fun.

Incidentally, I was impressed by Adams' g2-g4, but it did not turn out so very well. Was it best? And would you have played it too, as Jack tells us?

Paul Cooksey
Posts: 301
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:15 pm

Re: British Championship

Post by Paul Cooksey » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:15 am

I think Keith should back himself :-)

I'm slightly regretting not voting for Hawkins. I wouldn't consider him the favourite, but certainly a realistic enough chance someone should have voted for him.

Jonathan Rogers
Posts: 3658
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:26 pm

Re: British Championship

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:26 am

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:15 am
I think Keith should back himself :-)

I'm slightly regretting not voting for Hawkins. I wouldn't consider him the favourite, but certainly a realistic enough chance someone should have voted for him.
Late entry accepted! Late entry will also be accepted from R Bates until 2pm today :P

Matthew Turner
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 11:54 am

Re: British Championship

Post by Matthew Turner » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:45 am

I think today might give a good indication of what a winning score might be. There look to be some tough games but I fancy the top 6 seeds to win. If that is the case (or it’s close) then 6.5 shouldn’t be enough.

Jonathan Rogers
Posts: 3658
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:26 pm

Re: British Championship

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:05 am

Thought Matthew was going to pick a winner, for a moment. I'll allow him a late entry too.

And anyone else.

I find it hard to imagine 6.5 being a winning score, even allowing for the valid points made by Richard.

Matthew Turner
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 11:54 am

Re: British Championship

Post by Matthew Turner » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:11 am

I have had a go already Adams to beat Howell on tie-break.
Matt

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 7089
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Re: British Championship

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:11 am

I am going to go for Adair to tie for first (but not win) and Eggleston to be in the top 5. My tip for the winner is.... Emms! :D

Keith Arkell
Posts: 606
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:10 am

Re: British Championship

Post by Keith Arkell » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:33 am

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:30 am
Keith Arkell wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:18 am
[quote="Jonathan Rogers"

the fact that Adams is not in his most dominating form adds to the enjoyment
On the contrary, Mickey is in very good form. I know, because I'm playing good chess these days myself, played well for most of the game today, have a very reasonable score v him over a large number of games, but still he got the better of me.
Fair enough.

As reward for your resistance, you may be a late entrant into "guess the winner", a game which, apparently unappreciated by many forumites, is in fact quite free to enter, and lots of fun.

Incidentally, I was impressed by Adams' g2-g4, but it did not turn out so very well. Was it best? And would you have played it too, as Jack tells us?
[/quote]

After my game had finished, I got an amusing report from the commentary room, where 18 g4 was described as a King-side attacking plan :lol: No, the reality was that Mickey had to prevent my N from going to f5, controlling the d4 square, and the alternative move, 22 Bg4, would have been a bit unnatural, and not where he wanted the Bishop to be. And yes, in the same position with White I would also have played 22 g4! I think I stood slightly worse at that moment, but in general I saw this game as more vindication for 6...Nb6, which nobody else seems to play.

Later on the game got complicated, but probably I am doing fine if I play, eg, 30...Qe7 instead of 30...Rb8.
Paul Cooksey wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:15 am
I think Keith should back himself :-)


I know my place, and that is highly unlikely to be first!

LawrenceCooper
Posts: 4853
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Re: British Championship

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:09 pm

Keith Arkell wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:33 am
Paul Cooksey wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:15 am
I think Keith should back himself :-)


I know my place, and that is highly unlikely to be first!
You do have an uncanny knack of gatecrashing board 1 in the last round of events though!

Post Reply