British Championship 2018

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Kevin Thurlow

Re: British Championship 2018

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:46 pm

"I'd like to express my big appreciation for the efforts of the game-inputters. As an observer following the progress of friends and colleagues in the various Senior championships, I was delighted to be able to access play-thru game scores within a day or two of each round. That's good going. I'm grateful"

Yes - agreed. Having done some game-inputting, it is not easy!

David Clayton

Post by David Clayton » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:45 pm

Nigel White wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:25 am
Now more than a week after the championships have finished, I notice that (unlike previous years) none of the games have been published for any of the five day tournaments (i e. Morning Open & below) or the weekenders. Was this a deliberate policy change or just finding that there wasn't enough resource to process these? Or maybe they will still appear at some later point?
There were only a few rounds left to finish when the tournament ended on Saturday afternoon. I keyed in a number of rounds from the weekend during the week.

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:20 pm
They will appear. They're going to be input this week.

I wasn't there because I decided not to be an arbiter/staff team member at this year's event, in order to let other people have a turn. I hadn't appreciated that this meant there would be a lack of games-inputting resource compared with previous years - or at least, I thought that those who remained would be able to manage without me. So I was the one game-inputter short that Jack refers to.

Tom Thorpe took them away with him though, and is planning to input them this week when time allows. I don't know when they will finally appear, but they're a work in progress, and will appear at some point.

This year we were capturing the Championship and most of the Major-Open on the live boards. Once I had got everything set up for recording in the morning and resolved the issues with the new software and my laptop, from about Wednesday onwards, I was able to capture most of the junior games. Had we been able to set off recording the morning games from the beginning of the event, I suspect we would have been close to having all the games available for downloading at the end of the tournament. Just a handful of games played on the final Saturday morning requiring entering in as most were being captured on the live boards of course.

Nigel White wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:51 pm
Many thanks. It is an underappreciated task. It never ceases to amaze me that while, on many occasions, I can't interpet my own scoresheet, the inputter invariably can.
There are of course game inputters and Jack Rudd.
David Robertson wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:33 pm
I'd like to express my big appreciation for the efforts of the game-inputters. As an observer following the progress of friends and colleagues in the various Senior championships, I was delighted to be able to access play-thru game scores within a day or two of each round. That's good going. I'm grateful
I often find it an enjoyable job, watching how the games develops or how on earth the game can soon be coming to a close. Solving missing moves or which Knight or Rook was it that moved when two options were possible. But doing it at the British when you are trying to get the games out as quickly as possible, and they are coming in faster than the team is inputting them, gets quite hard work.

ThomasThorpe

Post by ThomasThorpe » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:51 pm

Well at long last, the inputting for the British Championships is all complete!

All the Weekday events and the Weekend games are now online along with the other games already uploaded. Sorry they've taken so long - moving house along with 101 other chess things delays the process somewhat. Plus once you've input 600 games, inputting any more doesn't sound particularly fun.

EDIT: Soanes R2 now input
Last edited by ThomasThorpe on Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nigel White

Post by Nigel White » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:16 pm

ThomasThorpe wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:51 pm
Well at long last, the inputting for the British Championships is all complete!
Many thanks! And apologies for all my scoresheets, which must be an inputters nightmare. Whenever I know they will be input, I vow to myself that I will be more careful with my recording, only for it all to fall apart when I get under pressure.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:14 am

ThomasThorpe wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:51 pm
All the Weekday events and the Weekend games are now online along with the other games already uploaded.
I'm aware that I can download pgns tournament by tournament from the chess-results site, but is there a consolidated file anywhere? For that matter I don't think there's a direct link to pgn files from the Championship site.