2018 grades.

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Ernie Lazenby

2018 grades.

Post by Ernie Lazenby » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:44 pm

I was surprised to find that a significant number of my games played since 1st January have not been included in the calculations producing my latest grade. Our local grader has published a comment on our web site advising the problem is with the ECF and I am not the only local player so affected. Has any other association had similar problems and is it asking too much to have the correct grades sorted before the start of the new season. If the missing games are included my grade will rise however I would expect a revision if it was to be lowered. I am a silver member about to upgrade to gold again. I am sure those responsible will do everything possible to correct the error however it may be good PR to put a notice out on the ECF web site recognising a problem has occurred and it will be rectified.

Roger de Coverly

Re: 2018 grades.

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:32 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:44 pm
I am sure those responsible will do everything possible to correct the error however it may be good PR to put a notice out on the ECF web site recognising a problem has occurred and it will be rectified.
I thought it was standard operating practice by the grading team that the end July grades are regarded as provisional and corrected if needed by the end of August. With 15,000 eyes potentially scrutinising them, missing results can be identified and corrected. It appears a half season's set of results for one Cleveland division went missing. There might be others but the submission and verification process has been reliable in recent years.

Dan Lambourne

Post by Dan Lambourne » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:20 pm

The following statement or similar has always appeared at the top of the Grading website.
This is the original July 2018 grading list, based on results up to 30th June.

The August revision, as always, will be definitive, as it may include corrections and late-reported 2017-18 events. Many leagues will adopt the August revision for eligibility purposes.

Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:31 pm

Thanks Dan and Roger. Good point one I had forgot about. Getting old is not much fun!

Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:17 am

Does anyone know when the August revision of the July grading list will be published.
Thanks.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:49 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:17 am
Does anyone know when the August revision of the July grading list will be published.
Thanks.
I asked this question elsewhere and Nick Grey suggested that the August Revision would most likely be published in September.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Brian Valentine

Post by Brian Valentine » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:04 pm

I can say with some certainty that the August list will indeed meet that September hurdle.

The download file should be available this evening in its usual place and I'm hopeful the full website update will be there tomorrow.

Sorry for the delay.

Brian Valentine
Manager of ECF Grading