Page 1 of 1

Renewing ECF membership after a year - advise please

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:53 pm
by Kevin Greenacre
Hi all

I've been a member of the ECF (and the BCF before that) for many years but last season I decided to take a break from playing chess so did not renew my membership. I've decided to play some league chess this season so need to renew/rejoin but currently I'm not able to do this on the ECF site; when I try and log in using my previous details, the system doesn't recognise my password and when I ask for a password reminder, I get an error message to say the system doesn't recognise my user name so I tried to join as a new member but the system recognises my user name as previously registered!

I've emailed the membership email address for the ECF last week but not yet had a reply.

Am I doing something wrong and if so, can anyone point me in the right direction...?!

Thank you.

Regards
Kevin Greenacre

Re: Renewing ECF membership after a year - advise please

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:24 pm
by Julie Denning
Kevin,
I'm not the greatest expert on this, but it will be due to the change of provider of the membership system. Had you been a current (2017 / 18) member you would have been sent an email inviting you to renew and giving you a numerical identifier to use in the new system. I suggest you 'phone the ECF office and they should be able to sort this out for you quite easily.

Re: Renewing ECF membership after a year - advise please

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:26 pm
by Kevin Greenacre
Hi Julie
Thanks for the suggestion, will do so.
Regards
Kevin

Re: Renewing ECF membership after a year - advise please

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:11 pm
by Ian Thompson
Julie Denning wrote: ↑
Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:24 pm
Had you been a current (2017 / 18) member you would have been sent an email inviting you to renew and giving you a numerical identifier to use in the new system.
I was and I haven't received such an e-mail.

Re: Renewing ECF membership after a year - advise please

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:20 pm
by Brian Towers
A cheque in the post is probably easiest and best, particularly if you feel uncomfortable giving your bank details to a 3rd party. If enough people did this the administrative overhead might spur the ECF to re-institute 3 year membership which would make life easier for everybody.

Re: Renewing ECF membership after a year - advise please

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:08 pm
by Nick Grey
I would the ECF office this is something they are excellent at dealing with.

That is how I will deal with mine.

Re: Renewing ECF membership after a year - advise please

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:16 am
by Alex Holowczak
Brian Towers wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:20 pm
A cheque in the post is probably easiest and best, particularly if you feel uncomfortable giving your bank details to a 3rd party. If enough people did this the administrative overhead might spur the ECF to re-institute 3 year membership which would make life easier for everybody.
Easiest and best for whom? Who still uses a chequebook? I've never written a cheque, and if I was ever sent a chequebook I've no idea where mine is.

I imagine some older people keep a chequebook, and maybe pay subscriptions to organisations like the ECF, or their local chess club, or their local xxxxx association. But didn't people stop using them to pay for the shopping, or pay the plumber, years and years ago?

Re: Renewing ECF membership after a year - advise please

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:41 am
by IM Jack Rudd
I wrote out twenty-odd cheques this evening, as it happens.

Re: Renewing ECF membership after a year - advise please

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:01 am
by Alex Holowczak
IM Jack Rudd wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:41 am
I wrote out twenty-odd cheques this evening, as it happens.
For Paignton?

Re: Renewing ECF membership after a year - advise please

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:25 am
by IM Jack Rudd
Indeed.

Re: Renewing ECF membership after a year - advise please

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:42 pm
by Alex Holowczak
IM Jack Rudd wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:25 am
Indeed.
I can believe that.

I was obviously a bit grumpy after reading
Brian Towers wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:20 pm
A cheque in the post is probably easiest and best
But I suspect for the majority of people, this is far from easiest and best.

Re: Renewing ECF membership after a year - advise please

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:54 pm
by JustinHorton
Alex Holowczak wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:16 am
Brian Towers wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:20 pm
A cheque in the post is probably easiest and best, particularly if you feel uncomfortable giving your bank details to a 3rd party. If enough people did this the administrative overhead might spur the ECF to re-institute 3 year membership which would make life easier for everybody.
Easiest and best for whom? Who still uses a chequebook? I've never written a cheque, and if I was ever sent a chequebook I've no idea where mine is.

I imagine some older people keep a chequebook, and maybe pay subscriptions to organisations like the ECF, or their local chess club, or their local xxxxx association. But didn't people stop using them to pay for the shopping, or pay the plumber, years and years ago?
For the record, I believe that for two or three years now my ECF subscription has been the sole use for my chequebook.

Re: Renewing ECF membership after a year - advise please

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:05 pm
by Mike Gunn
Just received one of Jack's cheques in today's post. (A grading prize, presumably - thanks.)

Re: Renewing ECF membership after a year - advise please

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:05 pm
by Martin Crichton
call the ECF office...took less than 2 minutes for me. Just have your cc details to hand.

Re: Renewing ECF membership after a year - advise please

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:38 pm
by Nick Grey
90 seconds has been standard for as long as I can remember. I have no complaints on that part of the ECF service whoever answers is fantastic & thanks.