Junior Director 2018 Election

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Michael Farthing

Re: Junior Director 2018 Election

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:35 pm

And heaven knows why any of them bother at all when their efforts are denigrated in this way.

Well Malcolm Pein, Adam Raoof, Nigel Dennis, Mike Truran, Alex Holowczak, Sean Hewitt, Chris Fegan, Sarah Longson, Neil Cooper to name just a few that come to mind - there you have it. You don't have the interest of chess at heart - you're all just having turf wars and throwing your weight around. To the lamp posts with you!

John Higgs

Post by John Higgs » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:38 pm

For the record Lawrence Cooper did an excellent job as junior director, whilst also being a very effective IRO. He led a strong team of committed volunteers.

I write this offering as a junior chess parent who has experienced the tour of duty of PE, LC & TW.
"I'm not the one who got it wrong. I'm the only one who got it right". Carrie Mathison.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:42 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:35 pm
Well Malcolm Pein, Adam Raoof, Nigel Dennis, Mike Truran, Alex Holowczak, Sean Hewitt, Chris Fegan, Sarah Longson, Neil Cooper to name just a few that come to mind - there you have it. You don't have the interest of chess at heart - you're all just having turf wars and throwing your weight around. To the lamp posts with you!
I can think of more than one person in that list who's been more than happy to denigrate the work of other people, quite aggressively so on occasion.
Last edited by JustinHorton on Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:51 pm

"And heaven knows why any of them bother at all when their efforts are denigrated in this way.

Well Malcolm Pein, Adam Raoof, Nigel Dennis, Mike Truran, Alex Holowczak, Sean Hewitt, Chris Fegan, Sarah Longson, Neil Cooper to name just a few that come to mind - there you have it. You don't have the interest of chess at heart - you're all just having turf wars and throwing your weight around. To the lamp posts with you!"

I did say "a number of people", not "all", as you very well know. Unless I have misunderstood and you're denigrating those people. I thought at first you were deliberately misquoting me.

I totally accept Mick's point!

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:10 pm

I think a more telling phrase was "too many". I stand by what I said if only that it makes clear that some of us appreciate the hard work that is being done.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:07 pm

"I think a more telling phrase was "too many". I stand by what I said if only that it makes clear that some of us appreciate the hard work that is being done."

Another deliberate misquote then. I never said "too many". To be fair, I didn't expect any apology.

I appreciate that hard and useful work is done by many individuals and organizations. Sadly, not everybody is wonderful.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:35 pm

Well I do accept that was a (not deliberate) misquotation and I do apologise. It should read "too much".

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:52 am

OK thanks.

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:17 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:35 pm
Well Malcolm Pein, Adam Raoof, Nigel Dennis, Mike Truran, Alex Holowczak, Sean Hewitt, Chris Fegan, Sarah Longson, Neil Cooper to name just a few that come to mind - there you have it.
I will be forever indebted to Nigel Dennis who in the early 1970s introduced myself and a few other pupils at Maidenhead Grammar School to the joys of inter-club chess matches, county matches (I started on board 61 for Berks), chess congresses (notably Berks and Bucks 1971, where I won my first trophy) and the British Chess Championships.